OsmoSDR - turn a USB TV tuner into an SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I might have missed this in the thread, but is anyone doing anything with this under Windows?

OK, I have edited out my original second question after going to eBay and realizing what products are being discussed. Now I have a new question. There are many USB TV tuners on the market. Are they all suitable for such repurposing?

I am using mine under windows 7. Works OK (my vista laptop didn't have enough grunt to handle SDR).. Need to come up with a better antenna.. The little stub they sent is pretty much worthless.

Make sure the Dongle uses the RTL2832U setup and it should work.. I got mine off eBay for about 21 bucks shipped.

bezking

Dave, the tutorial I linked a few posts back is under Windows. I have it running under W7 64-bit. The author of the link in the OP claims the device is good for the continuous spectrum between 64-1700MHz. Of course, YMMV. Like MXQ said, the included antenna is not worth the materials it's made out of. A better one would probably do miracles for reception...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Dave, the tutorial I linked a few posts back is under Windows. I have it running under W7 64-bit. The author of the link in the OP claims the device is good for the continuous spectrum between 64-1700MHz. Of course, YMMV. Like MXQ said, the included antenna is not worth the materials it's made out of. A better one would probably do miracles for reception...
I'm going to try an cobble a longer antenna into mine.. Just poked thru the bands, and they all appear to work.. Even HF... This could be fun.. Love new experiments....

D

DaveNF2G

I already have a PCTV USB TV tuner. Maybe I will give this a try.

bezking

I don't know that that's going to work, Dave. As far as I'm aware this hack only works on TV tuners designed for the DBS standard, which is not used here in the States (we have NTSC).

D

DaveNF2G

I just ordered one of these. A bit more than $20, but a whole lot less than purpose-built receivers I was looking at!

Realtek RTL2832U Elonics E4000 Based USB DVB-T Receiver

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed you have to unplug the USB dongle after each use? If I leave it in, and reload HDSDR the software can't find the dongle...

Still working on a better antenna, Life keeps getting in the way...

k8mcn

same problem here--even when HDDSR is stopped, closed and reopened it doesnt seem to find the dongle without unplugging on my system also.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Received mine today from "digitalhome88", the very small one, direct from China after a long wait. Unfortunately the device appears DOA. Windows is blind to it when plugged into the USB port. Even tried on another machine using the stock drivers intended for this device, and it's not detected. I contacted the seller but I'm not holding out much hope for such a cheap device.

Can anyone recommend another compatible model with the same chipset, preferably from a US vendor? I'm not ready to give up yet since this really looks like a fun thing to mess around with!

k8mcn

Received mine today from "digitalhome88", the very small one, direct from China after a long wait. Unfortunately the device appears DOA. Windows is blind to it when plugged into the USB port. Even tried on another machine using the stock drivers intended for this device, and it's not detected. I contacted the seller but I'm not holding out much hope for such a cheap device.

Can anyone recommend another compatible model with the same chipset, preferably from a US vendor? I'm not ready to give up yet since this really looks like a fun thing to mess around with!

did you look in "device manager" for it---mine makes the audible tone when i insert it, but it doesn't show up in the task bar, or the usual "nag screen" doesntd come up asking me what to do , or that the drivers are loading etc......BUT it was recognized in Device manager and worked after following the tutorial above

have not seen any stateside,as the intended purpose for this doesnt apply to the US---BUT since they are really catching on for what we're doing i imagine if not all ready that soon some US vendor will==mine came from DVB-T TV Receiver Realtek RTL2832U Elonics E4000 Radio 64 - 1700 MHz SDR P335 | eBay arrived in 7calendar days and was working--his feedback does not mention any"duds" YMMV

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
HDSDR Viewing the local Starcom 21 freqs..
hdsdr.jpg

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
did you look in "device manager" for it---mine makes the audible tone when i insert it, but it doesn't show up in the task bar, or the usual "nag screen" doesntd come up asking me what to do , or that the drivers are loading etc......BUT it was recognized in Device manager and worked after following the tutorial above

have not seen any stateside,as the intended purpose for this doesnt apply to the US---BUT since they are really catching on for what we're doing i imagine if not all ready that soon some US vendor will==mine came from DVB-T TV Receiver Realtek RTL2832U Elonics E4000 Radio 64 - 1700 MHz SDR P335 | eBay arrived in 7calendar days and was working--his feedback does not mention any"duds" YMMV

Thanks for the reply. I can't find any trace of it in the Device Manager on two different machines, I'm fairly sure it's a dud. Oh well, I've since ordered the one mentioned in the quote above, we'll see...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
HF too? Wow, I thought these things wouldn't receive under 64 MHz?
No, I said it "APPEARS" to work. Just because the software will do it, doesn't mean the hardware will..

I could have sworn I heard PSK on 14.070, but nothing on the waterfall, and the 3 inch antenna leave me skeptical.

cuppa-joe

Feed Provider
Has anyone else noticed you have to unplug the USB dongle after each use? If I leave it in, and reload HDSDR the software can't find the dongle...

Still working on a better antenna, Life keeps getting in the way...

If you haven't yet, download the updated librtl2832++ from USRP Interfaces - SpenchWiki and put it in the HDSDR directory. This fixed the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.