OSP Clarification Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

Need some help understanding/clarifying the info. in the database please.

-So I live off of I5 between downtown and the I5 bridge to Vancouver. Which OSP frequencies should I be monitoring for this area?

-I also spend a lot of time in Hillsboro. Which OSP frequencies should I be monitoring for this area?

-The database lists Portland Area Command, McMinnville Area Command, and Salem Area Command for conventional while database lists McMinnville, Banks, and Salem under Project 25 Phase II. Why the difference in areas? For P25, what is used for the Portland Area?

Thank you!

PaulNDaOC

OSP does not have patrols on I-5 in Portland, traffic is handled by PPB on all state highways in the city.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
OSP patrols all state highways, whether they run through the city or not. The only frequency you need for monitoring all of Portland is 154.9350. Over the next few years this may change to the new P25 Phase II system, but for now, you'll hear what you need on the freq I gave.

PaulNDaOC

OSP does not police freeways inside Portland. It's been like this for decades. About all they handle in Multnomah County is I-84 going out to the Gorge. I'm not saying the don't make stops on I-205 while in transit, but they don't handle wrecks or anything else in the city. However all cities in the Metro area have accepted primary enforcement responsibility.

PPB Motors do the bulk of the enforcement on the freeways and handle the TC's, and the nearest beat cars also roll too.

Quote from PPB Traffic Bureau to the Oregonian:

"Every police department in the Portland metro area has an agreement that gives them the right to “primary enforcement” on interstate and state highways cutting through their communities.

At the same, because of tight budgets and other factors, some cities have left the freeway-patrolling duties to OSP. One example: I-84 through The Dalles."

In Washington County OSP handle Hwy 26 past Banks, as well as the highway to Lincoln City. To the south the will be on 99W south of Sheridan, and 5/205 areas south of the suburbs.

KE7JFF

I do see OSP on 82nd doing traffic stops...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNDaOC

OSP would be the primary on SE 82nd south of Clatsop in Clack County. 82nd is SR213 i believe.

On the radio it sounds like they work 205 and 99E in Oak Grove quite a bit, if there is such a thing as quite a bit with OSP. OSP has to be the most understaffed agency of its type anywhere.

Portland detachment, actually located in Clackamas County only has 18 troopers, which works out to no more than 4 on duty at a time to cover the Gorge, Clackamas County (with a lot of highways outside city limits.

Tualatin has 10 to cover the south end of I-205, and I-5 towards Salem, and 99W to Yamhil County, thats about two on duty 24/7.

Just because Portland is primary in city limits, OSP can still make a stop anywhere, and they do work on special missions with local agencies sucjh as DUI cracksowns that are funded by OLCC monies.

Interesting stuff. Thanks all for the clarification, I had no idea OSP wasn't the main enforcement w/ in city limits.

It is interesting (sad?) when I hear a Trooper telling another Trooper they are 30/40 + minutes away when a back-up unit is needed.

radiotweester

Dreamflight767,
Regarding the Hillsboro area. You can hear OSP on 156.225 from Banks through McMinnville. They're also on the Washington County trunked system Sheriff Dispatch TG (when assistance is needed). Their IDs are 18##

Status
Not open for further replies.