OSP dispatch changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

Here in N.E. Ohio I'm hearing OSP units being dispatched by the Warren Post and Chardon Post. The dispatchers from these posts had been relocated to Ravenna and Ashtabula respectively several months ago as part of OSP's consolidation. Wondering if this changeback is permanent or just due to the busy drunk driving season.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
OSP has been consolidating dispatching around the state, so I'm sure what you are hearing is permanent. The consolidation has been discussed before.

Mike

Nasby

I'm aware of consolidation. However, what I am reporting is UNCONSOLIDATION of the posts that had previously been consolidated.

cfr301

Here in N.E. Ohio I'm hearing OSP units being dispatched by the Warren Post and Chardon Post. The dispatchers from these posts had been relocated to Ravenna and Ashtabula respectively several months ago as part of OSP's consolidation. Wondering if this changeback is permanent or just due to the busy drunk driving season.

I'm betting your seeing those Post in TG on your scanner thinking the Dispatchers are at those post. Thats not whats happening, for example DAILY I'll see post 81 (VanWert) used for a while then suddenly either Findlay or Post 02 (Lima) will be the TG used, by the SAME dispatcher.

The dispatchers have the ability to use whatever TG they choose often switch units and Cads due to locations. The same thing Happens with Piqua, Post 06 (Wapakoneta) and so on. Most of the time changes occur at the begining of the shift but if they have a lot of troopers hitting a tower in a certain area because of stops accidents or whatever the case the dispatchers will switch to which ever tower from what ever TG is popular at the time. Hope that explains it.

Rick

Nasby

They are using the talkgroups that were once associated with the posts that were closed/consolidated several months ago. In addition, the posts that had been closed/consolidated are identifying themselves as that post (i.e. "Warren to unit..."). Warren had been consolidated to the Ravenna Post and all Warren units contacted the Ravenna Post after consolidation. The same is true with Chardon. It had been closed in the summer with all traffic going thru Ashtabula. However, the Chardon Post and that talkgroup are active again.

ibagli

The posts themselves weren't closed or consolidated. They just don't have dispatchers in the building anymore.

Last edited:

cfr301

They are using the talkgroups that were once associated with the posts that were closed/consolidated several months ago. In addition, the posts that had been closed/consolidated are identifying themselves as that post (i.e. "Warren to unit..."). Warren had been consolidated to the Ravenna Post and all Warren units contacted the Ravenna Post after consolidation. The same is true with Chardon. It had been closed in the summer with all traffic going thru Ashtabula. However, the Chardon Post and that talkgroup are active again.

I can assure you the Post were not closed, only the dispatch was consolidated. You may not have seen the other Talk Groups active for a time but when the system was set up it was designed to do as I described in my previous post.

Rick

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Sorry to the OP I misread your post. Yes the posts that have lost their dispatchers are still open for the troopers to conduct their business. Here in Lima, Post 2 lost their disptachers quite some time ago and they report to Van Wert to dispatch. All the Post 2 traffic still appears on the Post 2 talkgroup, but they call Van Wert. When the planes are up, the traffic is on the P02TAC talkgroup. When the local TV news does a story involving the OSP they go to the Lima post. For all intent and purposes, nothing appears any different at the Lima post, but if you walk in you won't see any dispatchers.

Mike

Nasby

Well its just seemed very strange that they would consolidate the dispatchers at 2 posts (Warren and Chardon) to Ravenna and Ashtabula last summer, then neither Warren nor Chardon are heard on the air again (only Ravenna and Ashtabula on the talkgroups that were Warren's and Chardon's). Then as of two days ago, Warren and Chardon are back on the air.

hoser147

Are you hearing traffic from these posts on day shift? In an news announcement several months ago the OSP advised that some of the posts would be open during regular business hours and are staffed during the day. This could be the reason for the confusion.

cfr301

Are you hearing traffic from these posts on day shift? In an news announcement several months ago the OSP advised that some of the posts would be open during regular business hours and are staffed during the day. This could be the reason for the confusion.
My understanding is the Post operate as they Did before Except the Dispatch Is Coordinated at One Post For Each District, not always the District Headquarters. Example would Be District 1, Findlay is the headquarters but Dispatching is Done in Van Wert. The reason for this was the Van Wert post was being built when the MARC's system was being setup it was designed to handle dispatching for District 1, Even though the Distict HQ is Findlay.

In District 5 Hq is Piqua, and they do Dispatch from there.

I think the OP as I stated before is seeing Towers being used (TG) that he either didn't notice before or they may have been out of service for a while for upgrades.
Maybe this map in the wiki will help. http://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._Patrol_(OSP)_(OH)#Map_of_posts_and_districts
Rick

Last edited:

hoser147

My understanding is the Post operate as they Did before Except the Dispatch Is Coordinated at One Post For Each District, not always the District Headquarters. Example would Be District 1, Findlay is the headquarters but Dispatching is Done in Van Wert. The reason for this was the Van Wert post was being built when the MARC's system was being setup it was designed to handle dispatching for District 1, Even though the Distict HQ is Findlay.

In District 5 Hq is Piqua, and they do Dispatch from there.

I think the OP as I stated before is seeing Towers being used (TG) that he either didn't notice before or they may have been out of service for a while for upgrades.
Maybe this map in the wiki will help. Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSP) (OH) - The RadioReference Wiki
Rick

Yep just as Wapak post 6 tg shows for their units even though the dispatchers are in Piqua. In the same news announcement as the posts having regular business hours, they interviewed the dispatchers that would have to make the move to Dist. HQ and how they would keep their jobs, but have extra drive time to and from work. As Mike stated earlier its business as usual as far as troopers using the posts.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Well its just seemed very strange that they would consolidate the dispatchers at 2 posts (Warren and Chardon) to Ravenna and Ashtabula last summer, then neither Warren nor Chardon are heard on the air again (only Ravenna and Ashtabula on the talkgroups that were Warren's and Chardon's). Then as of two days ago, Warren and Chardon are back on the air.

Make sure you have your scanner set to ignore status bits. Several of the posts around here have been patching POSTxx talkgroups, and if you're not ignoring the status bit, you won't hear anything. They could be doing the same in your area.

cfr301

Ok Last night I was out plowing caught SEVERAL 3rd shift Troopers calling Piqua to see which CAD & TG they were using, she advised them Post 55 For Both. Post 55 Is Piqua. These were Wapak Troopers calling in I know a couple by unit numbers. My point here is what I said earlier in post The Dispatchers assign what CAD and TG is to be used for ALL troops they control. These troops called in on Post 06 they replied back to the dispatcher on Piqua TG. Hopefully this clears up how OSP is using the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.