OSP District 1 primary and alternate control channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg43545

I recently purchased a BCD325P2 and love it. The reception is great and I'm used to my previous TrunkTracker III, and have been able to solve the somewhat intricate programming procedure of this Trunk Tracker V. I have been able to program both Conventional and Trunked systems into it with no problems.

It does not accept the Sentinel Database downloads though, but I have so far been able to work around the programming by taking the information and physically programming it into the BCD325P2.

My issue is, I cannot locate a primary control channel or alternate control channel for the Ohio State Patrol District 1 to be able to program the TGID's listed below:

Defiance Post 20 & Post 20 TAC ( TGID: 51520 & 51532 )
Toledo Post 48, ( TGID: 51548 )
Bowling Green Post 87 ( TGID: 51701 )
Findlay District 1 HQ Post 32 ( TGID: 51532 )
Findlay Aviation Ops Post 32 ( TGID: 51792 )
Lima Post 2 ( TGID: 51532 )
Van Wert Post 81 ( TGID: 51697 )

Does anyone know what the primary and alternate control channels are for the Ohio State Patrol District 1?

Nasby

To speed up your programming, you could download Freescan.

As the name implies, it's free programming software for many Uniden scanners including the one you have.

Greg43545

You need to go to the MARCS listing in the database https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643 then choose the site(s) you are closest to by name and county. If you only want the control channel program in the red (primary) and blue (alternate).

Since OSP District 1 includes Defiance, Henry, Fulton, Williams, Lucas, Wood, Paulding, Putnam, Allen, and Hancock counties would I have to put in all of their primary and alternate freqs ?

Or since I live in Henry Co would I put in only those primary and alternate freqs?

Greg43545

To speed up your programming, you could download Freescan.

As the name implies, it's free programming software for many Uniden scanners including the one you have.

Will freescan load into my BCD325P2 like Sentinel loads into my HomePatrol II ?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
You would put in the site (tower) frequencies that you are closest to so Henry would be a start. You would then hear radios in talkgroups that associate with the Henry tower. You have to put in towers that you can receive a signal from.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You would put in the site (tower) frequencies that you are closest to so Henry would be a start. You would then hear radios in talkgroups that associate with the Henry tower. You have to put in towers that you can receive a signal from.

Another consideration is that putting in control channels you cannot receive (or can barely receive) from your location will just slow down the scanning. The only tower in Henry County is Holgate, so start with that one.

Greg43545

Ok thanks will do

Greg43545

Another consideration is that putting in control channels you cannot receive (or can barely receive) from your location will just slow down the scanning. The only tower in Henry County is Holgate, so start with that one.

Ok thanks will do

santafe2016

I did not know that this would slow down scanning. I have made the mistake of putting all the control channels in for OSP of all the counties between Clark and surrounding down to Chillicothe, when on a trip around I would pick up in search mode. So what I am doing is wronG?? Well shoot, whats the best way to do it ?? Thanks, stephen

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
In addition to what Tom was saying above...

Basically, only have the radio "scan" the tower sites in your immediate vicinity.... ie. for Clark County; when you are monitoring, temporarily Lockout all other tower sites except the Springfield site. There's no sense in having the radio bogged down by scanning the frequencies for a site across the state that you can't receive....may sound trivial; but, if you've downloaded the whole state DB; each one adds up... I've actually temporarily locked out site in my own scan routine for my immediate area; and, noticed a BIG difference in what I can actually hear on the radio.

Essentially, trying to hear more only makes you hear less....

Hope this helps,

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I did not know that this would slow down scanning. I have made the mistake of putting all the control channels in for OSP of all the counties between Clark and surrounding down to Chillicothe, when on a trip around I would pick up in search mode. So what I am doing is wronG?? Well shoot, whats the best way to do it ?? Thanks, stephen

Best way is to set up different systems or favorite lists or banks (depending on the scanner), each dedicated to a specific area. Lock out or de-select the ones for areas outside what you can actually hear.

In a nutshell, the more control channels the radio has to check, the slower it will scan. It's even worse if the control channels it's hearing have any sort of activity not related to the desired system; the radio then has to stop and listen for a couple seconds for legitimate activity.

Last edited:

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Consider it a site scanning method. Radios with the zipcode feature are horrible because they do not take things like this into account as well as scanning every frequency in a municipality/county/radius of you so the scanner has to sort through a TON of junk to get to what you want to hear, and if you do happen to hear something, good luck hearing a response because your scanner is back off in la-la land already.

Status
Not open for further replies.