OSP Ohio State Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
OSP uses Fairground Talkgroup

Or do you mean where they physically dispatch from headquarters at the fairgrounds?

clockwatcher

What I am looking for is OSP operations during the fair patrol, parking etc. I see a listing for Ohio State Fair first aid TG 51762

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
ARe they using a regular site or do they have one of the mobile sites activated?

Regular Columbus MARCS Simulcast. Wouldn’t be surprised given the amount of events, the fact that it’s state owned property and high attendance rate if they had a simulcast tower on site.

On the previous system there was a TG specific to parking “Fair Park,” but it doesn’t look as if it’s been ID’d in the IP database. That would do this community very well if you were able to identify and submit any new TG’s at the fair to the database.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
What I am looking for is OSP operations during the fair patrol, parking etc. I see a listing for Ohio State Fair first aid TG 51762
Try 51780 for parking. I believe this talk group is also used for other parking events at The Ohio State University, etc.

sopranosno1

Here is a few old ones for the ohio state fair. Not sure if they are in use anymore. Ltr system 453.250, 453.525, 453.600, 158.775/153.905 rp.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
51775 has been active tonight. So far I hear dispatch to helicopter comms. I haven't heard any other comms so maybe a tac channel?

It's on the MARCS Columbus simulcast site, not the Columbus city simulcast site.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Regular Columbus MARCS Simulcast. Wouldn’t be surprised given the amount of events, the fact that it’s state owned property and high attendance rate if they had a simulcast tower on site.

There is no simulcast site at the Fairgrounds. Nearest ones are Downtown and West Campus.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
There is no simulcast site at the Fairgrounds. Nearest ones are Downtown and West Campus.

He might of been refering to this maybe...

Mobile sites 5A1 and 649 are stand-alone sites which can be placed anywhere in the state in a matter of hours to supplement coverage and/or to add capacity to an area where an emergency or event is occurring. While normally operated as stand-alone systems, they can be connected to the statewide system and appear as networked sites if necessary. Information on these systems can be found at:

System 5A1 - Ohio MARCS-IP: Mobile Site 5A1 Trunking System, Statewide, Ohio

System 649 - Ohio MARCS-IP: Mobile Site 649 Trunking System, Statewide, Ohio

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
He might of been refering to this maybe...

Mobile sites 5A1 and 649 are stand-alone sites which can be placed anywhere in the state in a matter of hours to supplement coverage and/or to add capacity to an area where an emergency or event is occurring. While normally operated as stand-alone systems, they can be connected to the statewide system and appear as networked sites if necessary. Information on these systems can be found at:

System 5A1 - Ohio MARCS-IP: Mobile Site 5A1 Trunking System, Statewide, Ohio

System 649 - Ohio MARCS-IP: Mobile Site 649 Trunking System, Statewide, Ohio

He specifically said simulcast tower, which those are not.

Davey1

I visited the State Fair today. Had little luck finding any state fair activity on MARCS.

I heard one brief transmission on 51780 which had been suggested as a Parking talk group in this thread, but couldn't confirm whether this was for state fair use. Nor did I hear anything on 51775 that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Also nothing heard on 51772 FairGnd talkgroup [OSP Academy].

I heard nothing on 51762 [State Fair-First Aid]. In fact, I saw EMTs using what appeared to be VHF or UHF portables.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Went to the fair this evening, but was with family and didn’t have time to listen to any radios.

Fair staff were using UHF MotoTRBO radios. The fairgrounds used to have a UHF LTR trunk (as another poster above mentioned) so not sure if it’s been replaced with a TRBO system or if the radios I saw were rentals.

All the troopers I saw (and I saw a lot of them) were carrying the usual APX7000 portables.

The most interesting thing I saw was a trailer and portable tower parked near the north end of the OSP compound near the public parking area (north of 17th Avenue). The tower had a pair of what could have been 7/800 antennas (kinda hard to tell from a distance, and base station antennas are hard to identify to begin with). I wasn’t close enough to get a good look at the trailer, and I’ve never seen one of the MARCS TOWs to know for sure if this was one of them, but based on others’ observation of little activity on the usual talkgroups, my money is on this being a TOW and the troopers likely using the SCOMM talkgroups at the fair.

I do not live close enough to the fairgrounds to do any sleuthing for either the UHF DMR or the TOW.

16b

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to mention in my previous post, but the other (less likely IMO) explanation is that the state does still have a UHF repeater licensed at the fairgrounds, and I did see two UHF antennas on the tower next to the fairground police building down near 11th avenue. I know that’s been around since the pre-MARCS days and is probably abandoned, but just a thought since the troopers all carry dual band APXs. I feel like the TOW is more likely though.

gtaman

Ohio Expo commission has been DMR since 2016 or 2017. I never reported the change back then. I was doing some work there and I was given an XPR7350. Years before it was an HT1250 then they gave me a NX300 on the LTR system. Not sure what the talkgroup numbering is.

I think my 7350 had 4 channels maybe. It had voice announcement programmed.

Expo Main

Fairground Maint

Fairground Ops

First Aid

OSP monitored the main channel as we could hail them if needed doing night work.

gtaman

Forgot to mention in my previous post, but the other (less likely IMO) explanation is that the state does still have a UHF repeater licensed at the fairgrounds, and I did see two UHF antennas on the tower next to the fairground police building down near 11th avenue. I know that’s been around since the pre-MARCS days and is probably abandoned, but just a thought since the troopers all carry dual band APXs. I feel like the TOW is more likely though.

They are most likely using the TOW. Then can hand all the cadets TOW cache radios and the Troopers have the Mobile Site programmed in the standard channel plan.

It would cover its purposed area very easily and will keep load off main MARCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.