OSP Operation Dispatch - District 7 changes (Posts 79 / 84 / 41 / 60 / 7 / 30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
http://www.wtov9.com/news/16509195/detail.html

According to an article I read on WTOV.Com, the following changes in dispatching are going to occur in District 7 starting Sept 7 as part of the Operation Dispatch initiative by the OSP.

St. Clairsville (Post 7) will dispatch for:
Marietta (Post 84)
Wintersville (Post 41)

Cambridge (Post 30) will dispatch for:
New Philadelphia (Post 79)
Zanesville (Post 60)

I foresee hearing somewhat less MARCS OSP traffic in Jefferson Co once this happens since those of us here will not hear all of the dispatcher<-->car traffic off of the site the dispatch is affiliated with once that happens (that site was usually Mingo I think). We'll have to scan all the county MARCS sites we can and hope we pick up as much as possible.

Of course, for those people in Belmont Co and Guernsey Co it is going to significantly increase the traffic on those MARCS sites (you lucky bastards).

Now I may have enough motivation to put up an 800 mhz yagi to listen to more.

Thanks to STA75 for clueing me in on the article.

Mike

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It makes me wonder how many rural posts will be effected...........Hoser

Indeed. I'm not sure what all criteria they used in making those decisions. I do note that the St. Clairsville MARCS site that their dispatch affiliates with has more channels than the ones up here in Jefferson Co. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find a consolidated dispatch location in an area where they were affiliating with a very few channel tower. So either figure its going to be in an area that has more avaiable on the channels of the site that the dispatch affiliates with, or that additional frequencies would possibly be added to a site if it's likely to be the site that the consolidated dispatch post affiliates with. Of course those are presumptions on my part, and I'm sure a know-it-all will be sure to shoot all that speculation down :)

Mike

Last edited:

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi Folks,

Mansfield (post 70) has been dispatching for Ashland (post 3) and Holmes Co. (post 39) for about a year or so. I think I saw in another thread here that Mansfield was the pilot site.

They call the dispatch center by name and not by post number. I was wondering what was going on when I first heard it.

Something along the lines of "957 Mansfield, show me 45"
Instead of "957 70, show me 45"
Of course the post still replies with their typcial "OK"

What I thought was odd about the Mansfield dispatch center is that post 70 is in district 2 and post 3 and 39 are in district 3.

Units already call Cambridge as "Cambridge" so that won't be much of a change. Will be different to hear troopers call post 7 as "St. Clairsville".

Hope this post doesn't label me as a "know-it-all"

de
chris
kq4z

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Indeed. I'm not sure what all criteria they used in making those decisions. I do note that the St. Clairsville MARCS site that their dispatch affiliates with has more channels than the ones up here in Jefferson Co. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find a consolidated dispatch location in an area where they were affiliating with a very few channel tower. So either figure its going to be in an area that has more avaiable on the channels of the site that the dispatch affiliates with, or that additional frequencies would possibly be added to a site if it's likely to be the site that the consolidated dispatch post affiliates with. Of course those are presumptions on my part, and I'm sure a know-it-all will be sure to shoot all that speculation down :)

Not a know-it-all, just the facts...

All console functions go through the wired network, and do not rely on affiliation other than their PTT and audio being routed to any sites where field units are affiliated. You'll still only hear traffic when field units are affiliated to the site you're monitoring.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Not a know-it-all, just the facts...

All console functions go through the wired network, and do not rely on affiliation other than their PTT and audio being routed to any sites where field units are affiliated. You'll still only hear traffic when field units are affiliated to the site you're monitoring.

So at P41 dispatch, are you saying that they are never actually transmitting over RF when they are talking to cars but rather it is completely over wire to the actual site the car is affiliated with?

I don't pay particularly close attention to MARCS even though it's always scanning. But I could have swarn that during the Blitz last year I was able to monitor _only_ the Mingo tower (which P41 was affiliated with) and that I could hear all that was going on regardless of where the cars were - i.e. I could hear both sides of the conversation between P41 and the cars (affiliated with the various towers) just by listening to the Mingo site (which caused me to conclude that P41 was affiliated with the Mingo tower and that their transmissions were over RF)..

Are you saying this isn't so? If so, has it always been like this?

While I've got your attention... Is the DATANET only for MDT data?

Mike

Bucko

This has been going on for a while here for Post 84. St Clairsville has been dispatching off and on now for some time with the Post 84 troopers using Post 7 TG#. My nephew is a trooper and he mentioned a while back this was coming (he use to dispatch).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So at P41 dispatch, are you saying that they are never actually transmitting over RF when they are talking to cars but rather it is completely over wire to the actual site the car is affiliated with?

Right.

I don't pay particularly close attention to MARCS even though it's always scanning. But I could have swarn that during the Blitz last year I was able to monitor _only_ the Mingo tower (which P41 was affiliated with) and that I could hear all that was going on regardless of where the cars were - i.e. I could hear both sides of the conversation between P41 and the cars (affiliated with the various towers) just by listening to the Mingo site (which caused me to conclude that P41 was affiliated with the Mingo tower and that their transmissions were over RF).. Are you saying this isn't so? If so, has it always been like this?

Always been that way. You were able to hear traffic because a radio was affiliated to the site. And in such a situation, it's possible that there was a different command post or dispatcher set up somewhere to handle only traffic related to that special operation.

It is possible that the posts have an RF control station connected to the console for emergency backup use, but if so it could be set on any channel, and most likely isn't set on the talkgroup the dispatcher is using so as to avoid feedback. The drawback to using a control station is that you lose a lot of functionality, such as ruthless preemption.

While I've got your attention... Is the DATANET only for MDT data?

Correct.

Tom

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Always been that way. You were able to hear traffic because a radio was affiliated to the site. And in such a situation, it's possible that there was a different command post or dispatcher set up somewhere to handle only traffic related to that special operation.

Ok, gotcha. And now that I think about it, I think they did have a different command post set up down at the county 911 center at the airport during the Blitz. So I guess that is why I probably did hear all the traffic simply by listening to one site, since the temp command post was probably handling traffic via a radio and not wireline.

Thanks for the info.

mike

Mylan

Feed Provider
I do not at all care for this new dispatchin' technique as of late and I'm sure that many troopers and most dispatchers feel that way as well.... Supposedly all dispatching for the dist. 7 riverfront posts would originate from st c.... yet it said no patrol services or dispatchers would be affected... (now if I am a patrol dispatcher for post 84 and I live in barlow, tell me I am not going to be affected having to drive to st clairsville for my shift.....) I think the local media has got the details of this story somewhat mixed up...

An article in the wheeling paper said that the switch was to commence on 8/15 well on saturday post 7 was handilin' 41 and today they were handlin' 84 (while post 41 console was up and running)... I would really like to know, without all the speculation, what is ACTUALLY happening here .

digitalanalog

Changes at OSP Canfield

This just announced tonight on my local news channel.

Changes at OSP Canfield
The Ohio Highway Patrol is moving some services from it's Canfield post next week. On August 25, all dispatching services will be moved from Canfield to Lisbon. But the OSP tells 21 News that 18 troopers, 4 sergeants, and one Lieutenant will continue operating out of Canfield. The adjacent driver's exam station, which operates independently from the Canfield OSP, will remain open.
Source: http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=8860973

Status
Not open for further replies.