OSP talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8wer

I am a long time scanner user, but have never used trunking. Considering a BCD996XT. In the talkgroup listing for OSP District 2 on this web site, there is one labeled OSP Post 70 with a tag of Law Dispatch (I live in Mansfield). If I program the proper system, the frequencies for Mansfield found in the MARCS System Frequencies list and the Talkgroup for Post 70, will I hear only the dispatcher (base) or do the mobiles use this same talkgroup?

Bill

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I am a long time scanner user, but have never used trunking. Considering a BCD996XT. In the talkgroup listing for OSP District 2 on this web site, there is one labeled OSP Post 70 with a tag of Law Dispatch (I live in Mansfield). If I program the proper system, the frequencies for Mansfield found in the MARCS System Frequencies list and the Talkgroup for Post 70, will I hear only the dispatcher (base) or do the mobiles use this same talkgroup?

Bill

Bill,

You will hear both sides of the conversation, base and mobile.
The MARCS system is nothing like the old VHF-low band, so to grasp
the concept of trunking, you need to rid your self of the conventional thinking that was used before.
I suggest going to the Wiki on the site here, and read up on how trunking works.
It will give you a better understanding of what you can hear.

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

W8wer

Thanks for the quick answer. I've read the wiki and other articles on trunking, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of it, just wasn't sure of that detail. I'll probably find I know a lot less than I think when I start programming.

Bill

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
MARCs is massively different. When you really think of it MARCs is an advanced private cell network.

W8wer

Patrick,

I was talking about a new scanner at work and was asked what trunking was. As a ham and EE, they seem to think I know all about this stuff. That's how I explained it, works very similar to a cell network with dynamic frequency assignments.

Thanks for the reply,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.