Osp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know how to correctly listen to OSP channels? Because I live high up in the mountains, and I was trying to listen to OSP and I could hear some units fine, but dispatch was very weak and scratchy, doesnt really makes sense if its repeated...My radio is set to OSP 13, when units in my area talk, they frequently say their call sign and then "18" or "12" im guessing they mean the channel, but I always hear it on one frequency, is OSP simulcast or something?

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
I have the same problem in Salem but on 154.860, I hear OSP Northern Commannd Dispatch fine but cars up in the Cascade Foothills in Linn and Marion Co. come in broken or not at all.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
From what I've been able to figure out, there are multiple repeater sites (duh), but a lot of the repeater sites, while they have a discrete input frequency, transmit on a common output frequency (i.e. in Portland, you listen to 154.935, but there are many inputs to that output frequency, ch. 9, 10, 11 and 12, if I remember right off the top of my head).

I agree that if you are at any significant elevation you shouldn't have a problem hearing dispatch loud and clear, but if you're close to one of the transmitter sites, maybe your receiver is getting overloaded? Try attenuation?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
From what I've been able to figure out, there are multiple repeater sites (duh), but a lot of the repeater sites, while they have a discrete input frequency, transmit on a common output frequency (i.e. in Portland, you listen to 154.935, but there are many inputs to that output frequency, ch. 9, 10, 11 and 12, if I remember right off the top of my head).

I agree that if you are at any significant elevation you shouldn't have a problem hearing dispatch loud and clear, but if you're close to one of the transmitter sites, maybe your receiver is getting overloaded? Try attenuation?

Well, I guess Im close to High Heaven. Bald Peak/Mountain Top is behind where I live, but signals off of High Heaven come in much clearer. I know that both Bald Peak and High Heaven are repeaters for Yamhill County, does OSP have repeaters up on either of those?

mikepdx

Well, I guess Im close to High Heaven. Bald Peak/Mountain Top is behind where I live, but signals off of High Heaven come in much clearer. I know that both Bald Peak and High Heaven are repeaters for Yamhill County, does OSP have repeaters up on either of those?

OSP Channel 14 156.225 is on High Heaven

OSP Channel 18 156.225 is on Chehalem Mtn above Newberg

one of OSP Channel 21's 155.910 transmitters is also on Chehalem Mtn above Newberg

i.e. in Portland, you listen to 154.935, but there are many inputs to that output frequency,
ch. 9, 10, 11 and 12...

Close.
Single output frequency, single input frequency -
But multiple PL tones to manually choose a repeater. Except...

Salem cars (155.91) use only 1 transmit PL for multiple repeater sites.
They use voting receivers to steer which transmitter is used.
A mobile does not have to choose a repeater (channel). It's automatic.
Bend, Roseburg, The Dalles and probably other areas work this way, too.
I think Astoria as well, but am unsure.
Why all district/area repeaters aren't configured this way is unknown.

I have the same problem in Salem but on 154.860, I hear OSP Northern Commannd Dispatch fine but cars up in the Cascade Foothills in Linn and Marion Co. come in broken or not at all.

I've been up Hwy 22 East of Stayton to Detroit and beyond
and both the cars and dispatcher are loud and clear on 154.86 156.7
The most eastern repeaters up there are just not designed to cover all the way down to Salem.

What you're probably hearing, as an example, is a car choosing the Hall's Ridge repeater above Detroit,
and the Dispatcher answering him on the repeater at Green Peter Reservoir above Sweet Home.
You hear the dispatcher fine in Salem, but the car is scratchy to you from the repeater in Detroit.
The car in Detroit is still in range of the Sweet Home repeater and everybody sounds fine to the
dispatcher via microwave links.

A similar situation may be happening to Gezelle007
who may be shielded from hearing the dispatcher using
Buxton Lookout in far north Washington County to answer all mobiles
no matter which repeater they're using.

Hope this boatload of info makes sense.

Last edited:

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
OSP Channel 14 156.225 is on High Heaven

OSP Channel 18 156.225 is on Chehalem Mtn above Newberg

one of OSP Channel 21's 155.910 transmitters is also on Chehalem Mtn above Newberg

Close.
Single output frequency, single input frequency -
But multiple PL tones to manually choose a repeater. Except...

Salem cars (155.91) use only 1 transmit PL for multiple repeater sites.
They use voting receivers to steer which transmitter is used.
A mobile does not have to choose a repeater (channel). It's automatic.
Bend, Roseburg, The Dalles and probably other areas work this way, too.
I think Astoria as well, but am unsure.
Why all district/area repeaters aren't configured this way is unknown.

I've been up Hwy 22 East of Stayton to Detroit and beyond
and both the cars and dispatcher are loud and clear on 154.86 156.7
The most eastern repeaters up there are just not designed to cover all the way down to Salem.

What you're probably hearing, as an example, is a car choosing the Hall's Ridge repeater above Detroit,
and the Dispatcher answering him on the repeater at Green Peter Reservoir above Sweet Home.
You hear the dispatcher fine in Salem, but the car is scratchy to you from the repeater in Detroit.
The car in Detroit is still in range of the Sweet Home repeater and everybody sounds fine to the
dispatcher via microwave links.

A similar situation may be happening to Gezelle007
who may be shielded from hearing the dispatcher using
Buxton Lookout in far north Washington County to answer all mobiles
no matter which repeater they're using.

Hope this boatload of info makes sense.

This is extremely helpful, I totally forgot that some systems vote for the units- I started another thread awhile ago, and one person explained this same type of system to me, but I just never thought that the dispatchers werent on all the repeaters. Its so odd that the dispatch isnt simulcast, it seems that this should be the first priority..

Baker845

Albany station 23 also as voting receivers . I used to hear station 23 units all time from there Marys peak repeater, but no longer do.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
So since their outputs are a bit high, are their inputs like in the 151 range? Or are they 161?

Status
Not open for further replies.