• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

OSRP Just Crashed

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Deschutes county area sites crashed. DCSO, Bend, Redmond, etc. units all went down around 12:30pm today. Some units have moved over to 851.0125 156.7.

So glad they paid millions to be on this state of the art system.

KE7JFF

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I’m actually stopped in Warm Springs for lunch and heard a very confused officer on OSP Bend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cinsu

Premium Subscriber
Still receiving Portland, Skamania and Mt Hood sites here in East Portland but not hearing any traffic for the last 10 minutes is unusual.

No traffic heard on any of the OSP or ODOT channels here in the Eugene area for the last 60 minutes or so, which is not normal.
Just now heard voice on OSP Springfield channel so maybe it's starting to come back up.

Yikes, main system goes down and finding issues with programming on their mobiles is not the best time to realize something with the back ups is wrong.
Or it was poor training and user error. But from the description given it sounds like portables on the back ups worked mobiles didnt.

Interesting. So the radio shop just loads all these obscure backup freqs into the radios? I can't imagine the average user would have any idea that they're there/what they're for.. Who would be responsible for, in the middle of a catastrophic repeater failure, for knowing and directing the average patrol cop to switch over? Based on sort of how real world law enforcement priorities tend to go, I would figure that this would fall into the category of capabilities that are so infrequently used, most people don't know about them.

Last edited:

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. So the radio shop just loads all these obscure backup freqs into the radios? I can't imagine the average user would have any idea that they're there/what they're for.. Who would be responsible for, in the middle of a catastrophic repeater failure, for knowing and directing the average patrol cop to switch over? Based on sort of how real world law enforcement priorities tend to go, I would figure that this would fall into the category of capabilities that are so infrequently used, most people don't know about them.
These are not obscure. They are part of the standard mutual aid frequencies.
As MtnBiker2005 posted: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=7742

The units were all called on their cellphones to switch over. Go figure...

KE7JFF

Premium Subscriber
Well, to be fair, DCSO has a lot of new blood who don’t remember the analog days so it was good training. Most departments have some sort of training in this...