OT: AACo FD apparatus light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed a set of lights on the cabs of fire apparatus, and wondered what they signify. They are usually mounted near the rear doors, and are basically a series of vertically oriented lights of different colors. When I see them on a stopped truck, I think the blue ones are illuminated. Anyone know what they are?

guyiv

Feed Provider
If they are the ones I am thinking of they indicate how much water is the the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Why are positioned where they are, away from the pump operator, and high up on the cab? I think the lights are on the right side of the cab (although they may be on both sides,) which is on the opposite side of the vehicle's pump panel. Is it so others can see the status of their tank from a distance?

ResQguy

Meh
Yes. The PO has his own smaller tank indicator on the pump panel. These lights were originally designed for rural and short staffed fire companies where the PO might have to be backing up someone on the line and be far away from the rig. They just caught on with the masses a few years ago.

badlans

Premium Subscriber
If they are the ones I am thinking of they indicate how much water is the the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've often wondered what those lights were for, but I never thought to ask here. Thanks!!!

boatbod

Why are positioned where they are, away from the pump operator, and high up on the cab? I think the lights are on the right side of the cab (although they may be on both sides,) which is on the opposite side of the vehicle's pump panel. Is it so others can see the status of their tank from a distance?

Well having the lights on the sides makes it really convenient to see your water status at a glance from a distance. The pump operator isn't the only one interested in such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.