• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

OTAP| MotoTrbo Single Channel Conventional

SOUTH300

Greetings,

I have been at this for weeks, and finally need a hand getting this up and running. I am attempting OTAP using a single conventional repeater channel. My control station radio is a XPR3500 connected to my host PC using the original programming cable. The PC I am using is a clean install Windows PC running Windows 10, loaded with Radio Management, DDMS, Device Programmer, RM Job Processor, and RM Server Utility. I believe I have the parameters set correctly in the Control Station radio. I have it loaded using Radio ID 100. Under Control Station, I have Forward to PC selected. The test radio is an XPR7550e. Both radios can talk to each other on the selected voice channel, and I can call alert and radio check each radio back and forth. I have Data Call Confirmed checked on both radios. ARS is set on the 7550e to On system change. ID 100 is set for the ARS ID in the 7550e.

I can see the 7550e trying to register, and the control station signal strength meter comes on. Both show full strength, as I am well in range of the repeater. Sometimes (50%) of the time, the high speed data Icon comes on on both radios when the radios attempt to exchange data. I can ping the control station every time from the host PC. I can only ping the test radio about 10% of the time, from the host PC. The channel that I use, uses Basic Privacy. Device Monitor never sees the radio turn on. Radio management just hangs at Waiting for Device. On the PC, I have set a persistant route between 12.0.0.0 and 192.168.10.1. I have opened all ports on Windows Firewall.

In the settings on Device monitor, the RM Server and PN Server both report successful connections. USB and OTA is checked. I have also tried to use a simplex channel to rule out any interference or signal issues with no luck.

Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated to get this working.

Thanks!

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
Make sure both radios have the same CAI network # and CAI group network #. make sure forward to pc is set to via usb. I'm not using ARS so I'm not sure of the settings for that. Also make sure the radios have different ip addresses.

Last edited:

SOUTH300

CAI settings are good. Forward to PC is set to USB. As far as radios IP addresses, I am under the impression that the IP address is set by the CAI and radio ID. I have confirmed this by pinging IP 12.0.1.55 for Radio ID 311.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
under general settings network you need to assign each radio a unique ip address. I believe the default is 192.168.10.1 so leave that as your control station radio and make your other radio 192.168.11.1 Also under general security make sure the radios have the same otap key. This website help me out a bunch when I was setting up otap. Over The Air Programming (OTAP) Part 1

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I think you are missing MNIS..Been a whime since I have done it with a control station....TT

SOUTH300

under general settings network you need to assign each radio a unique ip address. I believe the default is 192.168.10.1 so leave that as your control station radio and make your other radio 192.168.11.1 Also under general security make sure the radios have the same otap key. This website help me out a bunch when I was setting up otap. Over The Air Programming (OTAP) Part 1

I did use his guide, but did not see that. I changed the IP address though, and it seems I can ping the radio using 12.0.1.55 every time now. But still no PN or OTAP.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
There is a RM log, perhaps that will shed some light. Pinging is a really good sign.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
launch the rm server utility under rm system management make sure discovery server, job server, and rm server are available and running. under machine authorization make sure device programmer and job processor are both checked from your computer. under user authorization make sure your computer user account is listed. if you open the rm job processor config and hit test connection is it successful. And i forgot to mention you've added the otap key to the radio management software? Make sure you have enhanced channel access enabled

SOUTH300

launch the rm server utility under rm system management make sure discovery server, job server, and rm server are available and running. under machine authorization make sure device programmer and job processor are both checked from your computer. under user authorization make sure your computer user account is listed. if you open the rm job processor config and hit test connection is it successful. And i forgot to mention you've added the otap key to the radio management software? Make sure you have enhanced channel access enabled

Checked everything as you described, still no go. I am at a loss. There is no reason this should not work. Open to any other suggestions. Thank you for the help

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
Yea it sounds like it should be working. Try disabling any firewalls/antivirus and any other network connections. what did you put for the subnet on your static route?

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
static route is correct. try this, delete the test radio from rm and re-add it entering serial number radio id radio ip and codeplug password and cai. then unplug your control radio and plug your test radio into the usb and perform a read operation via usb and check off generate configuration. if that is successful then assign the configuration to the test radio and plug your control radio back in and try to schedule a write via over the air. if the read via usb doesn't work there's a setting in one of the programs that's not correct. After this and it still doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try.

SOUTH300

Well, still cannot get it to work. But I am going to discontinue trying at this time. The radios I am currently trying are capable of OTAP, however my entire fleet is CM300d mobiles, which I just read do not support OTAP. I mistakenly thought all MotoTrbo radios could. Thanks for the help guys.

katt02

Katt
I know you said you will discontinue, but I wanted to add this in: Is the computer connected to the radio also connected to the internet? If so, try disconnecting it from the internet and see if that helps. My RM server will not perform OTAP unless the mototrbo radio is the only network on the computer (It could be a misconfiguration on my end, however worth a shot).

Furthermore, restarting Device Monitor seems to help sometimes as I found it fails to sync on occasion.