Others should be allowed to edit my Feed Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandxer

Others should be allowed to post my feeds Active Alert

I got an idea for the site today out of necessity..

It would be great if there was an option were I could allow others to post onto my Feeds Alert.

So lets say I'm driving out of town or just not listening to my feed..

I could turn on the "others can edit your feeds alert option" on and then if something newsworthy happens on my feed my listeners could post it into the new Feeds with Alerts section so everyone could get in on the action faster. (Live Audio Feeds with Active Alerts)

And then it would be awesome to get that Alert Message that my listener posted via a cell phone text on my phone like the feed down notify option.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Bad idea. That information shows up in many places, and all it takes is one wrong person to post something that doesn't belong there - something derogatory, something inflammatory, etc.... and then it's there for two hours for everyone to see.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Scandxer

Bad idea. That information shows up in many places, and all it takes is one wrong person to post something that doesn't belong there - something derogatory, something inflammatory, etc.... and then it's there for two hours for everyone to see.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Well thats simple..

Just make them have to register and login to post an Active Alert of my Feed.

All settings would be optional for the feed provider anyway and I don't see anyone putting in "derogatory comments" in unnessecray places now because the Admin would be all over it.

And thanks for the feedback on my idea :)

Last edited:

Scandxer

Another thing I've noticed about the Active Alert feed page..(Live Audio Feeds with Active Alerts)

We may need a reminder on the manage feed page for anyone posting a News and Feed Alerts Description to be a little more detailed lol.

I've seen Alert Descriptions like.. " Fire" or "Car Chase"

Haha :)

Thanks

WP4MZR

This is a great idea. Sometimes I go for weeks without listening to my feed(love the email/text alerts) so it would be nice if other people could update it other than the admins and the feed provider.

mitbr

How about a auto refresh

How about an auto refresh browser option on the alert page....great feature by the way.
Tim
kg4jjs

richtidd

Database Admin
I got an idea for the site today out of necessity..

It would be great if there was an option were I could allow others to post onto my Feeds Alert.

So lets say I'm driving out of town or just not listening to my feed..

I could turn on the "others can edit your feeds alert option" on and then if something newsworthy happens on my feed my listeners could post it into the new Feeds with Alerts section so everyone could get in on the action faster. (Live Audio Feeds with Active Alerts)

And then it would be awesome to get that Alert Message that my listener posted via a cell phone text on my phone like the feed down notify option.

This is a bad idea.

We have enough trouble with feed owners who misuse this feature without others doing the same.

You would be responsibility and accountable for what others would put there.

We would not only delete inappropriate messages but we maybe forced to at least deactivate the feed if needed.

Bad Idea.

richtidd

Database Admin
This is a great idea. Sometimes I go for weeks without listening to my feed(love the email/text alerts) so it would be nice if other people could update it other than the admins and the feed provider.

Feed owners should listen to their feeds.
More often the better.

We get a lot of feed trouble reports like no audio, distorted audio, etc because feeds owners may not be listening to their feeds.

You do not want others updating any part of your feed.
Bad idea.

colby4601

Feed owners should listen to their feeds.
More often the better.

We get a lot of feed trouble reports like no audio, distorted audio, etc because feeds owners may not be listening to their feeds.

You do not want others updating any part of your feed.
Bad idea.

Kind of a crazy idea, but maybe people can't always listen to their feeds? What if they're out of town? What if they are out getting groceries? You can't expect people to listen to their feeds 24/7. It's impossible. For issues like audio, etc. that's what the "Report" button is for. To report a problem.

Who says we don't want others updating any part of our feed? I wouldn't mind that. A lot of the time, I'll be at work when an event occurs yet I am unable to update the feed alert box.

According to the other Live Audio Admin, something like this is already in the works anyways.

Personally, I think it's a good idea. Don't be so quick to shoot something down just because you don't like it.

richtidd

Database Admin
Kind of a crazy idea, but maybe people can't always listen to their feeds? What if they're out of town? What if they are out getting groceries? You can't expect people to listen to their feeds 24/7. It's impossible. For issues like audio, etc. that's what the "Report" button is for. To report a problem.

Who says we don't want others updating any part of our feed? I wouldn't mind that. A lot of the time, I'll be at work when an event occurs yet I am unable to update the feed alert box.

According to the other Live Audio Admin, something like this is already in the works anyways.

Personally, I think it's a good idea. Don't be so quick to shoot something down just because you don't like it.

Not talking about getting getting groceries.

Talking about not listening for weeks at a time.

Feed owners should listen to their feed as often as they can.
But they should not be going weeks at a time all the time without listening to their feeds.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is a bad idea.

We have enough trouble with feed owners who misuse this feature without others doing the same.

You would be responsibility and accountable for what others would put there.

We would not only delete inappropriate messages but we maybe forced to at least deactivate the feed if needed.

Bad Idea.

You're entitled to your opinion, Rich, but don't be so quick to paint all feed providers with a broad brush just because a few knuckleheads can't follow the rules. Those of us who are responsible should not have to suffer because of the minority, otherwise there would be no features and enhancements ever implemented for fear of "misuse". ;)

Scandxer

I couldn't imagine going weeks without listening to my feed lol..

Hey I only drove to the next town over for like an hour and then on my way back home the scanner in my car was going off like crazy as I was getting closer to town.

I was torn between heading to the fire scene or rushing home to update my alert status. Thats when I said "Man I really wish one of my listeners could post an Alert"

When I got home I had over 40 listeners already but no one listening could set my Alert Status.

The minute I set my Alert Status I got 20 more listeners.

I don't agree with the "It will be abused' idea. Because we are "them" and "they" are us!

The rr community seems to be able to police itself just fine.

I'm a feed provider but I still listen to other members feeds and could set alerts they are not able to.

Login and putting a report abuse button would keep it from being anon.

It could also be Feed Providers only that can post others Alerts.

But I'd rather see the option of allowing anyone to be able to login and post an Alert for my feed.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

RolnCode3

+1 on this idea. I've thought the same thing for a while. Even if i could pick say 10 users who had this privilege.

Sometimes I listen, but mostly i see the feed is online, no reported problems, check uptime and users/hour, but I don't listen. Not much concerned about the content, just reliability. Unless you listen all the time you won't be putting up alerts.

Heck, even a "request an alert be posted" link could be a start. Then I would know that one of the listeners thinks something is worth posting. The problem link is already there. Maybe modify that to include a request?

Last edited:

Scandxer

Being able to sign up for text/email notify of any or all feed alerts must be on the To-Do list then?

Or can we do that already somehow?

Scandxer

But to open up an email thinking it's a breaking event only to find out it's just Joe Bob reprogramming their radio and their feed will be right back can be a bit annoying.

That would be a really silly reason to not implement a email/text feature lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.