Ottawa County Fire Using Unication G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdale

I had my G5 in Ottawa County over the weekend and had issues receiving County Fire Dispatch (ID:2101) on 800. I would have to hear the dispatch on 154.100 and then had to switch to the individual department 800 talk groups for further transmissions. I presume it is related to some talkgroups using Phase II? I have some things to try next time I'm there, but I'm wondering if anyone had the same issue and has a solution?

fyrfyter33

Sometimes the simulcast of dispatch on 800 just goes twonky. Hamilton County uses UHF for dispatch & tone out and MARCS for radio. On many occasions for unknown reasons, the dispatch just starts sounding bad on 800. I can't explain why, but I've heard it happen numerous times while on duty.

troymail

Silent Key
The Unications are doing really well on simulcast systems but there is apparently a known issue where if the radio does not detect/receive/process the "channel grant" at the start of a call on any talkgroup, you won't hear it. There are several threads here talking about it.

Unication is aware and hopefully will fix it in a future firmware update.

Having said that - I can't say that is what you experienced - it could be any number of things.

mszabo2000

I had my G5 in Ottawa County over the weekend and had issues receiving County Fire Dispatch (ID:2101) on 800. I would have to hear the dispatch on 154.100 and then had to switch to the individual department 800 talk groups for further transmissions. I presume it is related to some talkgroups using Phase II? I have some things to try next time I'm there, but I'm wondering if anyone had the same issue and has a solution?

The G5 only supports FDMA. Any chance the TG you're monitoring is TDMA?

troymail

Silent Key
The G5 only supports FDMA. Any chance the TG you're monitoring is TDMA?

Oops - meant to mention that too -- also consider that unless the system and/or dispatch talkgroup is dedicated as TDMA, it could potentially switch back and forth between FDMA (Phase 1) and TDMA (Phase 2) depending upon what radios/users are active on that talkgroup.

pdale

Thanks for all of the responses.....I really appreciate them. They kind of made me wonder if I'm describing the issue correctly. It was a pretty slow weekend in Ottawa County and I'm planning to listen a little more next weekend, but I never heard any OC dispatches on the 800 talk group on the G5. All I would hear is the unit telling OC dispatch they were responding (on the OC talk group) and then OC dispatch would reply accordingly. I will do a side by side with the BC396 and the G5 and see what happens and advise.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
Ottawa County does not simulcast fire tone outs on the fire dispatch talkgroup on the P25 system. Fire tone outs are done on the paging frequency only. The fire dispatch talkgroup on the P25 system is only used for fire departments to contact dispatch after the page. All fire department ops are done on their respective talkgroup on the P25 system.

Also Ottawa County does not have any phase II talkgroups in use at this time.

troymail

Silent Key
Ottawa County does not simulcast fire tone outs on the fire dispatch talkgroup on the P25 system. Fire tone outs are done on the paging frequency only. The fire dispatch talkgroup on the P25 system is only used for fire departments to contact dispatch after the page. All fire department ops are done on their respective talkgroup on the P25 system.

Well that would certainly explain it....

In my county, they tone out and voice page on VHF but only simulcast the voice alert (no tones) on the trunk system.

You can't make your receive do something the system you're monitoring do not ....

fyrfyter33

Also Ottawa County does not have any phase II talkgroups in use at this time.

Most places won't duplicate the tones, because the MARCS system cannot correctly produce the actual tone itself or broadcast it correctly.

The same usually happens locally. Voice dispatch over UHF, then everything else over 800. Sometimes simulcast audio works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sounds like the setup is common across Ohio.

pdale

Thank you all for the responses. Your feedback has been very helpful and certainly explains what I was hearing....or not hearing.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
Most places won't duplicate the tones, because the MARCS system cannot correctly produce the actual tone itself or broadcast it correctly.

The same usually happens locally. Voice dispatch over UHF, then everything else over 800. Sometimes simulcast audio works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sounds like the setup is common across Ohio.

Butler County puts the tones out on 800 as well as the VHF frequencies. Warren County does the same also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
Ottawa County Control Channels

I'm having problems with my G5 and the Ottawa County P25 system.

I have a camper on Catawba Island and would like to monitor what it going on with the FD and LE. I programmed in the control channels from the RR database and went for a drive. I was up at Millers Ferry and the G5 couldn't find anything. I used my mobile radio to just see if the control channels were active. I didn't receive anything on them - DEAD.

But, I pulled up Broadcastify and went to the Ottawa County system and there were transmissions.

Is the RR database incomplete? Am I missing a control channel? Did I program the system wrong?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.....

Thanks,

Jerry

phask

Premium Subscriber
Which site did you program?

I'm having problems with my G5 and the Ottawa County P25 system.

I have a camper on Catawba Island and would like to monitor what it going on with the FD and LE. I programmed in the control channels from the RR database and went for a drive. I was up at Millers Ferry and the G5 couldn't find anything. I used my mobile radio to just see if the control channels were active. I didn't receive anything on them - DEAD.

But, I pulled up Broadcastify and went to the Ottawa County system and there were transmissions.

Is the RR database incomplete? Am I missing a control channel? Did I program the system wrong?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.....

Thanks,

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.