Ottawa County

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeboatnut

I am considering purchasing a new scanner, I live in Ottawa County and need something that will deal with the new simulcast system, currently I have a PRO-106 and would like to upgrade. As far as I can tell the Pro-106 seems to work ok but I have nothing to compare it against. If need be I will buy a Unication G-5 but I would rather have a traditional scanner if I can find one that works well. Does anybody In Ottawa County have any suggestions? There are three I have been considering. The SDS100 or the Home Patrol 2, or even the 436 Any thoughts? Also does anybody have any idea if the current VHF System is going to continue to be used for fire paging or is another system going to be used for fire paging?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The only scanners designed to work with simulcast systems are the SDS100 and SDS200. They are the only scanners that will receive my local simulcast system.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for a portable and willing to pay $$$ for a new G5, I would say the SDS100 is your winner. You can do a lot more with it than you can with that pager. Unications look nice, work well, but for a listener it's not really what you want.

BSchaner

Premium Subscriber
I have a G4 and a BCD996xt and quite honestly they both work great. the 996 might work good because i'm really close to a tower but it picks up stuff pretty well for me. Almost no need to get a G5, everything around Ottawa will be digital in the next few years, just keep the 106 for that. As far as I know they will be going to 800 paging but I have no idea when at this point so VHF is still active. There is new software in the works for the G4/G5 to make it more like a scanner as well so that could be something to look into.

Status
Not open for further replies.