Ottawa Fire TG's ENC

Status
Not open for further replies.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Someone needs to use something like DSD Plus or Unitrunker to verify encryption. Relying on a device like a scanner isn't very reliable, they decode terrible so it's hard to say if its encryption, or a bad decode.

DaveH

Someone needs to use something like DSD Plus or Unitrunker to verify encryption. Relying on a device like a scanner isn't very reliable, they decode terrible so it's hard to say if its encryption, or a bad decode.

Somebody has, see Post #15.

I also reported short encrypted activity on DVR using DSD+, months ago. I know what encrypted voice sounds like though not everybody listens for this.

Same units are in and out of encryption at various times. One can tell as dispatcher usually identifies unit even if it is ENC.

Last night I heard a rural fire incident which was completely clear, apparatus and all.

What they are doing is not obvious. I wonder if it is tied to patching (or possibility of) with other agencies which require ENC such as Gatineau fire and Airport Fire; or maybe it is somehow enabled on units which use DVRs, mostly pumps.

Someone should check the DVR frequencies. They are all as before, except P25.

Too bad there is nobody on here with accurate info and ability to share, other than speculation.

Question: is this system and its radios capable of OTF encryption?

Dave

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Somebody has, see Post #15.

Pro96com ≠ DSDPlus/Unitrunker. It relies on a scanner as a data source. Unitrunker and DSDPlus use raw IQ data.

Does anyone have any media contacts up there? I'm sure a quick email to someone at OFS would confirm either way.

DaveH

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Interesting theory as to a receiver incapable of decryption mis-decoding on certain transmissions and
not others on the same data stream. No difficulty here with other non-encrypted users.

Also wondering how other scanners are doing, most likely missing parts of transmissions, one-sided exchanges,
short or not-so-short silences etc. as they mute non-encrypted transmissions...

Dave

DaveH

How much traffic has been over MDTs which we don't hear I don't know, suspect a lot of responses for drug/alcohol problems. There are a fair number of calls for alarms going off which turn out to be false, burn complaints etc. What's left are the more interesting ones.

System is still somewhat listenable. Dispatchers still clear. Mixed ENC/clear exchanges sometimes consist of long gibberish followed by "message received", "dispatch copies" or similar with little/no detail unfortunately.

Dave

Don

ENC is now across several (possibly all) TGs. Dispatchers in the clear, district chiefs also clear
mostly (for now). Apparatus responding/on-scene largely ENC now, seems to be in and out.For

Suggest scanner users (temporarily) disable muting on ENC voice and have a listen, to get
a better idea what's happening. Not sure what the next step is.

Found at 5am sunday morning a lot of ENC activity on TG 12; radio techs keying/re-keying radios maybe?

Dave
For what it's worth, I don't think its ENC. I've been fighting the same symptoms for a while now. I'm only hearing it when using my Whistler scanner. My HomePatrol works perfectly.
I just reformated the SD card that I use in my Whistler and Ottawa Fire is now working perfectly. Odd but true.
I hope this helps.

mmisk

Unitrunker reports encrypted comms as P, P1, P2, etc. in the service column.

The P stands for encrypted. Graphic attached.

Attachments

• Unitrunker.jpg
    Unitrunker.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29

DaveH

For what it's worth, I don't think its ENC. I've been fighting the same symptoms for a while now. I'm only hearing it when using my Whistler scanner. My HomePatrol works perfectly.
I just reformated the SD card that I use in my Whistler and Ottawa Fire is now working perfectly. Odd but true.
I hope this helps.

Wow, if that's the case, it's (almost) the best news we could have; except that some scanners/FW can't
deal with it. And I would not mind being wrong on this one.

Not sure why other scanners including Unidens seem to be suffering though. Mike and James have reported issues. In retrospect I'm not too clear on what their symptoms were/are. With ENC voice muting off, it sure sounds like ENC.

Puzzled as to what changed recently to bring this on. James has a point. Leeds and Grenville fire on VHF 164.325 and 166.965 are simulcast and I have issues with them.

Previously my older PSR600 was fine, and it did/does not show this problem with other TGs on the same system which are not ENC. I will try some antenna/signal level tests.

Dave

VA3JPX

Interesting.

Does anyone have access to a SDS200? It handles simulcast better than other Uniden scanners. Might be worth a side by side comparison.

DaveH

Just noticed this, the plot thickens. Is UniTrunker also responding badly to (possible) simulcast?

Dave

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Does nobody up there use DSD+? That'll tell you toot-suite if it's encrypted or not, and what algo is in use. Problem solved! Well, not solved I guess but answered at least....

mmisk

Does nobody up there use DSD+? That'll tell you toot-suite if it's encrypted or not, and what algo is in use. Problem solved! Well, not solved I guess but answered at least....

Yes, I also use DSD and it shows the fire comms as ENC. Another graphic attached.

Attachments

• DSD Fire ENC.jpg
    DSD Fire ENC.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 38

PriorMike

If it is a simulcast thing it's odd that it only happened now. My 996P2 and T before that were fine up until last weekend when this was reported.

I've deleted OFS out of my scanners, so I can't contribute further.

Status
Not open for further replies.