Ottawa Fire TG's ENC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriorMike

There is something going on. On a call just now on 3544, there was voice from dispatch in the clear, then on whatever the reply from the unit was, my 996P2 was acting like it was ENC(stopping very briefly on the TG and then moving on, several times in close succession with no sound).

But then there was a whole conversation between the unit and dispatch about the nature of the call and the unit clearing scene, all in the clear.

Beats me...

VA3JPX

There is something going on. On a call just now on 3544, there was voice from dispatch in the clear, then on whatever the reply from the unit was, my 996P2 was acting like it was ENC(stopping very briefly on the TG and then moving on, several times in close succession with no sound).

But then there was a whole conversation between the unit and dispatch about the nature of the call and the unit clearing scene, all in the clear.

Beats me...

I get that all the time on my Ottawa Fire Service Scanner Feed. It's very frustrating. I've purchased new antennas and switched to better coax and the problem persists. I was certain that the problem was my location, but now that you are having the same issue... perhaps something is going on.

I also notice that when the missing or silent part of the conversation happens the signal strength drops to 2 bars and then when the scanner continues everything is full strength again. Simulcasting perhaps?

DaveH

ENC is now across several (possibly all) TGs. Dispatchers in the clear, district chiefs also clear
mostly (for now). Apparatus responding/on-scene largely ENC now, seems to be in and out.

Suggest scanner users (temporarily) disable muting on ENC voice and have a listen, to get
a better idea what's happening. Not sure what the next step is.

Found at 5am sunday morning a lot of ENC activity on TG 12; radio techs keying/re-keying radios maybe?

Dave

mmisk

So far I have logged 11 OFD talk groups having used ENC recently.
I hate to say it but I fear that OFD ENC is right around the corner.
It is understandable if you put yourself in the shoes of the city administration, they are probably under pressure to solve the issue of what is being done with their communications these days.

Sad but true.

DaveH

My PSR600 is not suppressing ENC voice, I imagine it can, just have not checked settings. Depends on
the scanner.

Service is still somewhat listenable though often incoherent, if you can tolerate sometimes
long gaps, or gibberish if not muted. Still find it odd some units go back and forth, or
completely clear.

mmisk

Dave, that is interesting that your PSR600 receives the Ottawa P25 audio. How is the audio quality?
My PSR600 does not, the audio is all gibberish.
It does track and stop on all active talkgroups, but audio is so poor it cannot be understood.
I believe it is because the Ottawa system is Harris CQPSK, and the my PSR600 does not handle CQPSK.
Now, it does work fine receiving Fleetnet audio. C4FM I believe.

Mike.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Yes the older model scanners do not mute on encryption however all current models do. It would be nice if Uniden could offer a toggle to skip vs stop on encrypted channels.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
On my past couple trips to Ottawa I've seen TG 12 show up many times. Not to sure who it is. As for OFS, they could just be testing encryption possibly? Could it just be the PSR600 unable to handle CPSQK ?

DaveH

Activity continues to be mix of clear and ENC.

Looking close by in Quebec, Gatineau fire is ENC, as is fire on MRC des Collines regional system.

Pro96Com reports OFS TGs as mix of clear and ENC which matches what is heard. It also reports Phase 1, and I believe no Phase 2 is in use (contrary to note in the DB entry).

PSR600 receives OFS and other users fine; audio not superb but acceptable. Other PSR600s may not, depending on firmware upgrade (maybe version which allowed EDACs digital TGs to be tracked?).

TG 12 is in same range as radio tech TGs but without hearing content, cannot confirm.

Dave

DaveH

BTW who figured out and submitted that TG 12 is Radio techs...being as it's ENC? Somebody has inside info, TG was heard in the clear, or just guessing maybe...

A bit OT but thinking out loud, are all the TGs in the 30xx range known to be Police...what about DND and other possible secure users...

Dave

mmisk

(RE: Dave: PSR600 receives OFS and other users fine; audio not superb but acceptable. Other PSR600s may not, depending on firmware upgrade (maybe version which allowed EDACs digital TGs to be tracked?)

Yes Dave, my PSR600 is an old one that could track EDACS talk groups.
So I think you are correct about that.
Audio is not superb on my 396T, but is usable, quite sure it is because of CQPSK
396T and the PSR work well on fleetnet.

***UPDATE April 2019***
-PSR 600Current Firmware
-Welcome Screen Press 3:
► uP App1 Ver:F2.1 ***UPDATE April 2019***
► DSP App Ver:U1.4
► DSP Voc Ver:F1.0
-Hold PGM and turn PWR ON on to show the Boot version and to upgrade the CPU firmware version
-BOOT LOADER:
► uP Boot Ver:F1.0
► uP App1 Ver:F2.1

fmoore

Listening to in the clear coms on 8-1 but the Car responding is ENC so that seems to suggest that is a transition of some kind with everyone including the District Chiefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.