Ottawa Pirate Radio station 91.9 (industry canada orders shutdown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanWoodsman

Bottom line is he will go down and most likely take his father with him. As he's broadcasting from his fathers hotel/restaurant the father will be consider as part of the violation.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
So that is what over powers my 15 that is parked on 91.5 when I come by there every morning. It's at the hotel/restaurant/strip club at Bank and Rideau.

"Georges Saadé said he doesn’t understand why the bureaucracy wants to shut down his son’s station."

How about because it blocks out a legit radio station on a nearby freq!!!!!

Jammin_Jay

Not only that. He is a few miles from the airport, a hop skip and jump in fact. I don't know if any air traffic comms have been affected, or if that is what prompted the call to IC. According to the other sites his signal can be well heard 20 km's away east and west in the city with RDS. Wow he must be pushing the watts.

Last edited:

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
i see CBC radio their is 91.5 their wonder if his signal is bleeding over. I also know Mix FM was a call sign here in Toronto for 99.9 which now calls itself Virgin Radio, not sure if their would be copyright infringements their..

Man hope it doesn't effect the airport, he would be in so deep do do if a plane came down and it was linked back to his broadcast, think that would be Manslaughter. But the range i can't see that..

Jammin_Jay

I don't know. But i wonder how this is going to unfold. Him going against a cease and desist order. Will they go in and confiscate his radio equipment with the police, or how does it work? He is still broadcasting apparently, according to the article after industry canada gave him the order. hahah lol. An illegal radio station on top of strip club. They sure want to entertain their patrons

Anyone in Ottawa hear this station?

Last edited:

roots

I just ran from 88 to 108 and didn't find anything!!! maybe they decided to stop or the equipement got confiscated....

will check later...

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Not only that. He is a few miles from the airport, a hop skip and jump in fact. I don't know if any air traffic comms have been affected, or if that is what prompted the call to IC. According to the other sites his signal can be well heard 20 km's away east and west in the city with RDS. Wow he must be pushing the watts.
He must be using a fair bit of power, I get him 2/5 in Morewood and 5/5 at Hwy
31 and Springhill Road.

Somebody should sick the RAA on him:]

I don't see it being strong enough to affect any A/C comms, pretty far out of frequency and very low power compared to their radios.

Command30

Man hope it doesn't effect the airport, he would be in so deep do do if a plane came down and it was linked back to his broadcast, think that would be Manslaughter. But the range i can't see that..

I can't forsee it overpowering the 108.000 MHz to 136.975 MHz range, yet alone being responsible for an airplane randomly falling out of the sky.

roots

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.57 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Just tested it and I received it from Gatineau, sometime the reception is poor but still getting it...

DaveH

Not to be the party-pooper here, but what if anything does this have to
do with scanning? Must be a SLOW day.

Dave

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Not to be the party-pooper here, but what if anything does this have to
do with scanning? Must be a SLOW day.

Dave

At the very least an interesting day for Broadcast Media in The Nations Capital Today.

2 major tv news anchors gone and a 14 year old decides to spice up the radio waves.

Interesting indeed.

pkneeyahx

Human
I've got 2 scanners that can scan the FM Broadcast band and in fact have it preset.. so it has everything to do with scanning. IMHO ;]

hitsfm

91.9 fm

im a broadcaster here in northern ontario,he could stay on the air if he does his home work on exemption orders from industry canada , there are several ways in low power broadcasting exemption orders from the crtc an industry canada .
here in timmins area there are 3 stations that been on air for more than 5 plus years .Home - 104.7 FM Iroquois Falls Ontario
industry canada knows there on air an tryed to bshut them down for the last 5 years without any luck

Jammin_Jay

I already recieved information from another source. That industry canada's media relation's department said ....

" This matter is now under consideration and thus the Department is not in a position at this time to comment on the next steps or potential outcomes. ", Michel Cimpaye , Industry Canada.

So, stay tuned Ottawa members, there may be something going on regarding the station next week. It looks like they already didnot comply with the cease and desisit order, already issued from IC.

Could this be a confiscation? are those the next steps? fines? Have to wait and see

Anyone in ottawa on rr here , can tell us if this station is currently still playing over the FM band

According to CBC, some listeners can hear the station 20 kms away from the city. They must be putting an impressive illegal signal out, wow.

Not to burst your bubble hits fm, if he is getting 20kms out of the city, and people can hear, him, i think he is putting out more then the industry canada legal requirements for a Low power Signal. He would have to be pushing 500 watts or more ERP
500 watts doesnt comform to lowpower. Not only that, he's is practically right next to YOW (ottawa international airport). On a direct flight path.

For those of you interested in seeing pictures of The pirate radio station and antenna in ottawa
Milk man unlimited has pictures on his site

http://www.milkmanunlimited.com/tunedin.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/12/03/ottawa-pirate-radio-station.html

I also came across this. apparently the call letters are CTOM and its in wikipedia, with claims of the station being around 1.5 kw ERP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTOM-FM

Last edited:

roots

I just listened to a news cast regarding him and he's only pushing 200 watts. I can't wait to see what IC will do about him!!!!

Jammin_Jay

I don't know how that news cast determined it was 200 watts. Maybe 200 watts TPO, but defintely not ERP (tpo = transmitter power output). Once you have the antenna gain, that multiplies it depending the db factor, by 2, 3 , 4 or even more. And its ERP that matters as well as HAAT. To get 20 or 30 km's on either side of him, he has to pushing lots. There was even people reported hearing him in Franktown, and that is almost 45 km from where he is, i dont know how good a signal, but still.

PM me the link to the newscast so i can watch it

Last edited:

roots

hi Jammin_Jay,

it was a french newscast, they didn't mention anything regarding the ERP, it's probably 200 watts TPO.

Here in Gatineau the signal is getting in but really weak but still has a 30 or 40 km radius....

let's hope he doesn't so any interference with CYOW....

Jammin_Jay

I don't know about CYOW, but now it seems to interfere with CBC radio 1... here is the proof, from well... CBC

I came across this too, oooo Industry Canada is going to like this....

This is a news reporter from CBC Jeff Semple. He drives the his van down hwy 31 (bank street), and tunes his own station on his own radio, but can't hear it because of interference from mix fm's station

For those of you who want to watch the CBC ottawa TV report, here is the link...

wait for a 15-30 second commercial, then the 2:13 report will play...

Video

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.