ottawa radio system police fire city and oc transpo to start july 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/opsb/2014/04-28/item4.htm

ottawa police , fire to switch over to p25 imcms radio system with
a contract with bell to install hardware, software to record all transmissions permanently with
new ng911 recording standards with p25.

Oc transpo 2009 radios are p25 capable and will switch from analog edacs.
Because harris has the software to switch over, so oc transpo keeps the same radios.

I have a copy of ottawa police, radio system upgrade notice,
Signed ottawa police chief bordeleaux

looks like ottawa police service is getting tait radios implemented .. mobile tait tm9455 series. Tp9640 portable series radios

Link to opsb copy posted above.

Last edited:

Jammin_Jay

I suspect encryption. With any new radio p25 radio system.. wait and see.
I am just reporting what the ops police chief report issued. With the interoperability
between agencies, and the testing of the new system, may no be encryption at first,
just have to keep an ear open in the nations capital, for new frequencies or towers,
they want all dead spots as much as possible covered in the city. Ottawa has a lot of
rural to it spread out. Bye bye EDACS, wow 17 years, good job ottawa.

bell mobility will be the radio service provider.

mmisk

I am going to miss listening to them

I am going to miss listening to them.

I am sure you are correct about encryption.
I wonder about the other services

Mike

pkneeyahx

Human

pipedope

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering as i have been listening to OPS for a while now, are most of the frequencies listed on RR not in use anymore? It seems like only a handful of frequencies have any traffic on them? or maybe my programming is incorrect...

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Ottawa Radio System upgrade

After todays events in Ottawa they should fully encrypt all Federal radio communications not just the few that are now encrypted.... They have attacked the capital of our Country today time to make it impossible to listen to any radio communications that may be of any help to these extremist people...

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
After todays events in Ottawa they should fully encrypt all Federal radio communications not just the few that are now encrypted.... They have attacked the capital of our Country today time to make it impossible to listen to any radio communications that may be of any help to these extremist people...

I'm not sure encrypted transmissions would have prevented this or prevent it in the future. But it may keep some concerned citizens from being able to help be more aware of what is happening in their community. But that has been hashed over and over and will not change the facts. I'm not promoting everyone acting as police, but being more aware of what is happening, at least in their local community. After all, there are far more citizen eyes and ears than there are police and army. We all have to be vigilant, not vigilantes.

uncleblackie

I'm not sure encrypted transmissions would have prevented this or prevent it in the future. But it may keep some concerned citizens from being able to help be more aware of what is happening in their community. But that has been hashed over and over and will not change the facts. I'm not promoting everyone acting as police, but being more aware of what is happening, at least in their local community. After all, there are far more citizen eyes and ears than there are police and army. We all have to be vigilant, not vigilantes.

Very well said!!!

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider

Do you think a fully encrypted radio system would have helped today with officers going indoors into the most inner spaces of a building getting a weak radio signal I would think encryption would have been a bad thing, for encryption you need the entire chunk.

What do you really think they heard on the radio that helped them?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

What do you really think they heard on the radio that helped them?
Exactly, nothing. With a "Blitz" attack like was carried out it's not as if he would be listening and planning strategy. He just figured they were "soft" targets that could be over-run with ease. He must have been shocked to find out the Sergeant at Arms was anything but soft.

It's just heart wrenching that he was able to carry out such a cowardly attack on the Ceremonial Guard.

Nathan Cirillo

Status
Not open for further replies.