Ottawa scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yelaeh

I read another thread a while back last active in 2011. The thread had conversation about Ottawa Police using Pro-Voice or something similar. There was debate on not being able to monitor the police, even on a digital scanner due to the type of encryption.

I am hoping this is no longer the case. I am moving from an analog area of Alberta to Ottawa later this year and wondering what digital scanner I should purchase and where. I'm pretty sure the average price is roughly $600+. Can someone pass along some info and suggestions?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
If you are asking about Pro-Voice or something similar I can't answer that. If you are looking to purchase a digital scanner and where to purchase, there are numerous other threads on the Ontario and Prairies that would direct you to stores or internet links.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Ottawa police are Pro-Voice, which is not encryption, but cannot be monitored by any scanner.

It can be listened to with a discriminator tapped scanner or DVB Stick Reciever of the right type coupled with a program on your computer. You need a pretty powerful computer like dual or quad-core to get good decoding.

From what I understand they are gearing up to go to a P25 system soon since the current system is nearing EOL. You can pretty much bet the bank they will be encrypted.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
When I go into the city I'm using a BC396T radio, which does me just fine.

Digital - OPP (Provincial Police), MTO Enforcement (Ministry of Transportation), MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources)
Analog - City of Ottawa EMS, MTO Roads, City of Ottawa Fire

Ontario Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Ottawa County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 2 Trunking System, Southeast Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Ottawa Public Safety Trunking System, Ottawa, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.