Otter Tail County Frequency Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

gralady

Just saw on the news that Otter Tail County law enforcement is switching to the new 800mhz system. I have an old portable Bearcat 500mhz scanner and want to be able to listen to their transmissions. Is there a scanner that can provide this, or is this new system "private" to be heard on by authorized people? Since we live in a rural area, out of hearing distance of tornado sirens, we rely heavily on scanner info, especially during severe storms. When a citizen calls in the spotting of a tornado to dispatch, it is nice to be able to hear this, since it often takes several minutes before the info makes it to TV or radio, which could be a serious delay. The scanner also is helpful in determining just how bad the roads are, since 511 road condition info is often completely inaccurate due to not being updated for hours and hours. When the police were chasing an "armed and dangerous" person through the fields near our home, it was nice to hear this and get the grandkids inside and lock the doors. Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
gralady
Henning, MN

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Welcome Gralady,

You will have to purchase a digital scanner, with your choices being:
Handheld----Base model
Pro-96----------Pro2096
Pro-106--------Pro197
Pro-18

GRE-500------GRE-600
GRE/PSR-800

BC296----------BC796
BC396T--------BC996T
BC396XT------BC996XT
HOMEPATROL-1

These scanners can go as low as $150 for a used Pro-96, and up to roughly $600 for a homepatrol w/extra features, but most people are happy with a 396xt or pro-106 (used price $325 and $225ish respectively - new price $445-$299)

Here is a link so you can compare the current models, and get to know their features https://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_Scanners_s/269.htm

Last edited:

gralady

Info Appreciated

Thanks so much for the info and links to compare scanners. This old lady keeps one ear glued to scanner all day, and actually, I think I half listen all night. I'll have to look into getting funds together to get a good used unit, I think.

Thanks again,
gralady

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
No problem :) I'm more than happy to help.

Humorously, When I saw your post I thought you might be a family member, till I saw you were in Henning. (They're on West Battle Lake)

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I live on the border of Wadena County and Otter Tail County in Wadena, and I have the Pro-197 scanner by Radio Shack. It runs around 300.00 when I purchased mine but it is very clear and comes in good. Wadena County has been using the 800mhz since this last summer and I love listening since it is very clear. As for Otter Tail County, they are still using FM for dispatching but only the squads have the 800mhz radios in the cars right now until dispatch gets their radio system setup. Doesn't look it it will be until mid February until they will go all live with it. Tower sites are already setup throughout the county and work fine.

stmills

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint S511)

I have used the Pro96 and currently use a BCD396T. I bought both of them used and have had good results with both monitoring in the Twin Cities. I liked the data feed that you could get off the PRO96 hooking it up to a pc , but I swithed to the 396T because I like the size for carrying portable. Don't let the price of a new scanner keep you from getting a digital scanner - there are plenty of good used ones available.

Status
Not open for further replies.