ouch I got shocked in my ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixfreak0037

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
36
Location
Florence, Kentucky
The other day I was listening to my Pro 106 with earbuds while driving down the interstate. All of the sudden I got a painful electric shock in my ear. Since it was in my ear it also sounded like a gunshot.

I had the Pro 106 plugged into a power inverter that was plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter. I only had one ear bud in. I think I was using my magnet mount antenna. Also it was raining pretty hard. I assume it had something to do with it being plugged into that inverter.

That scared the **** out of me. I'm going to stick to battery power now when mobile.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
My guess is probably static from lightening,

or,


Ground issue with the inverter.

I am leaning towards static.

or just a loud noise and psychosomatic reaction
 
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
1,217
Location
Tulsa
By using an invertor to step up the voltage to 120VAC and then using the power cube to step back down to a nominal DC voltage to run the scanner, it is effectively not grounded to the vehicle. Driving through rain can cause a static charge to build up on the antenna, this is called precip static. When the potential gets high enough it will discharge to ground, in this case the discharge was through your head.

Go to RS and buy a 12V DC adaptor for your radio and eliminate the invertor, this will provide a dc path from the scanner to the car body.
 

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
6,131
Location
Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
"Turns out I don't like things discharging through my head."
And you think you have it bad? When you get older you'll notice things discharging FROM your head and earbuds won't stop the leaks.
 

Thayne

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
2,144
I bit my tongue and counted to 10 just in the nick of time--:eek:
 

N8IAA

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,076
Location
Fortunately, GA
Ah, that explains it. Turns out I don't like things discharging through my head. Thanks for the info! I'm going to go get one of those DC adapters.
And why wouldn't you use the 12v cord that came with the radio? My 163 sure did. All you have to do is put a ciglighter plug on the end with an appropriate fuse.
Larry
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top