Our database's - it’s time to finally move forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I originally put this in the Michigan forums but IMO it pertains to everyone here as the radio systems continually move to digital. Our Michigan MPSCS digital system is rather enormous, so consequently my post below.
IMO we really need to have the database's redone to show the primary frequency-talkgroups when you click the corresponding county instead of showing in many times their analog - non used info when a county moves to digital. I feel it pertains to all state databases.

http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...scs-database-s-time-finally-move-forward.html

The mpscs d.b. was created back when it was much smaller and most still had used analog and today it’s absolutely enormous. I try to keep up on changes in history but it tends to only show about two days worth only, so then I need to ‘slowly’ scroll through this huge list to see what I may have missed as talkgroups are added and if any removed the only way to catch them if there are seven days or less, if more than that, oh well! We don’t have a way to see the deletion unless it was captured in history. I have been able to catch a few deletions by accident only.
Its definitely not too user friendly anymore as it once was.

History tends to be where we see listed ‘X numbers of talkgroups were updated’ mainly and it tends to be a cry wolf scenario when you see the list is green with an update. Isn’t there a way to not say there is an update when the only change was to change wording or misspellings etc.? Only thing IMO that should make the list go green is if the news, frequencies change, the usage for a group or any talkgroups were added or deleted only. Example today you see 1/2 of the lower peninsula is green but al the update was for basically a Sort: 99 thing.Im sure it was something that was needed to be done, but again it was just semantics and shouldnt make the county go green.

With many counties now on mpscs, including I’m aware of the upcoming Lapeer, Tuscola, Bay counties along with city of Flint, let alone any other counties that will join with the narrow banding upcoming that they join mpscs instead. I know that was a big reason for Bay County. It will only get even more enormous!

I know this would be a big thing to do but, what needs to be done as county D.B's imo are caught in the legacy of analog is to when you click on the county, if the city or county primary system is mpscs, list those talkgroups particular to that city-county and if you want to list the analog, have that as a separate link within. For those on the unfortunate opensky list the info we have about them.
The ability to click on a county for a list was great, but again it only will show analog. Sure there is the link for mpscs within, but again the user has to go through many thousands of numbers to finally find a handful of their counties I.D.’s.

Any statewide or multi county groups imo would be listed on what is the current mpscs list including the frequencies.
Also we really should have a link when one clicks on Michigan from the entire U.S. map link off to one side of the state for mpscs. Michigan Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

And yes I applied to be a database admin over a month ago but no acknowledgment or word back at all.

My reply and add on:
Well bottom line is, would it better for the users? That what it's all about. Yes it clearly would be. Additionally imo the d.b. will have to do this eventually especially as more users jump in on the digital systems and with the rebanding mandate coming about, will only make it more apparent that it should be done.
Doing it sooner will make the job easier.

I'd like to see the top echelon weigh in on this.

So far the majority based on the all be it handful of posters is for a change.

This would clearly make RR a much more useful tool and thats what we all want.

Again is there a checkbox or so to not make a county go green when updating non frequency info etc.?

As far as the last sentence it was said there isnt an option not show an update, - There really should be as it just cries wolf most times.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Please let's not confuse digital with trunking. Trunking is one thing, digital is another.

The basic structure of the various systems dictate that TRS and Conventional be listed separately. The TRS information can be linked on each county page, down to the subcategory level on the county page, so each city/town can be linked to the TRS. With a little effort, instead of using the supplied DB method, a custom link can be provided to a specific TG category on the TRS.

In addition, the appropriate city/county information can be included on the appropriate Wiki page(s) with embedded information linked to the database directly. As the Wiki is designed to be edited by the membership, you can take charge of your local area and do that so that you only see your local data, both trunked and conventional.

As for signaling changes in the DB. Yes, there is checkbox that will suppress the change history; however, it does not suppress the highlighting on the map. I am sure you see the problem with that.

As to your request to be a DB Admin. Might I point out that a request is just that; queries in regard to this are better left to private communication among the appropriate parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.