Out-of-Area vs. Misused TIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

I'm so confused. Please help!

I'm reading reports in these forums of folks receiving out-of-area chatter on NSRS (e.g., Reno chatter overheard in Las Vegas). In my own travels, I documented similar experiences across the entire state, but came to a different conclusion: that talkgroup IDs had been misused (or misidentified in RR). Am I completely wrong?

Here's my thinking: though I did discover communications on NSRS 05-103 ("Sheriff, Washoe County") all across the state, the volume (by number) of traffic is always commensurate with my location. In other words, the further I get from Reno, the more crime drops. [Please don't draw any wild conclusions from this and, no, I don't have your blender.]

Furthermore, the nature of the 05-103 traffic is entirely different in Reno vs. Ely. Driving eastbound from Reno, it morphs from the usual urban fare to almost exclusively traffic stops. This simply cannot be the same 05-103. Unfortunately, I was never able to confirm the location of these transmissions from the chatter and, in fact to further confuse things, I did occassionally hear "Reno" mentioned at Fallon and Eureka. It was hard to hear in my convertible; perhaps they said "Romeo."

Please help me understand.

Thank you!

Dave

TOUGHLIFE

Nsrs Tgid 05-103

According to the 5th edition of the Southern Nevada Scanner Book talkgroup ID 05-103 on the NSRS is the Nevada Highway Patrol channel identified as "Elko 3". This would explain all the traffic stops you are hearing. Also keep in mind that some of the talkgroups on the system are linked for short or longer periods of time to different parts of the State. Reasons for this include testing or someone on that talkgroup with a radio turned on in that part of the State far away from the normal operating area. Another example: TG ID 05-014 is used by the Dept. of Public Safety Div. of Parole & Probation as a primary car-to-car talkgroup in the Reno area (Northern Command). This talkgroup is an alternate car-to-car talkgroup for DPS Parole & Probation in Las Vegas (Southern Command) and is known as channel one in their handhelds but not in their mobile radios. If an officer in the south turns the handheld on to channel one any car-to-car traffic from Reno on this ID will be heard in Las Vegas. As a listener you would then be hearing Reno traffic thanks to that Southern Command P&P officer who was playing with his radio.

There are times with DPS that if a dispatch center (Reno, Elko, or Las Vegas) goes out of service for whatever reason the remaining two can take over for that center and all of a sudden you might hear Elko talking to Las Vegas units. This has happened many times.

In the book I mentioned you will find 317 TGIDs' for the system statewide but it does seem to exclude Reno PD & SO.

Lastly, patches can be created by dispatch linking two or more talkgroups together and if you are monitoring one of them you hear it all.

Hope this clarifies some of your questions.

Last edited:

Dave_D

Yes, this helps lots. Thank you!

The RR DB lists 05-103 as Washoe County Sheriff, but I suspect that your book is correct. Every other Washoe County sheriff/police TID -- and there are dozens -- is 02-XXX. Perhaps somebody misidentified the TID in Washoe during one of your described dispatch failover events?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.