Out of date info in database??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
I have a question regarding the frequency information in the database here. I originally posted a question in the Illinois forum, but received no replies. I am looking for the correct frequencies and/or system information for Boone county IL sherriff and Belvidere IL PD. The most up to date info is FCC callsign WQKS907, active on 9/3/09. I prevously had a premium subscription here, and downloaded the info to my ARC-500 software, but i get nothing. Any suggestions, or can one of the admins please look into this? Thanks for your time.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
According to the database, both agencies you mentioned have been on the StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 system since November of 2007.

Boone SO
"Sheriff Dispatch has been on Starcom21 since Nov 2007. Most VHF traffic is non-existent."

Belvidere PD
"Police is on Starcom21 with Sheriff (since 11/07)"

Why the database keeps deprecated information in the first place beats me, it confuses many people. If it's no longer used, it should be removed.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
According to the database, both agencies you mentioned have been on the StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 system since November of 2007.

Boone SO
"Sheriff Dispatch has been on Starcom21 since Nov 2007. Most VHF traffic is non-existent."

Belvidere PD
"Police is on Starcom21 with Sheriff (since 11/07)"

Why the database keeps deprecated information in the first place beats me, it confuses many people. If it's no longer used, it should be removed.

The database doesn't "know" any better. Someone who lives in that area, or who knows with certainty, should submit a db update.

mciupa

Database Admin

You are correct that it should not hang on deprecated forever. The guidelines we are to follow state:

Deprecated[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]– This tag denotes a frequency or talkgroup that is no longer used. This tag should be used only temporarily during transition/migration periods for new radio systems. Frequencies and talkgroups should be deleted when they are truly obsolete. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]
[/FONT][/FONT]
I don't have access for Illinois, but,the Database Admistrators for the area can look after this for you if you put in a submission to alert them.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The database doesn't "know" any better. Someone who lives in that area, or who knows with certainty, should submit a db update.

Of course the database doesn't "know"..... lol

For instance, when I submitted a request to have the conventional freqs of my local PD removed after three years of moving to the county TRS, nothing was done. It still remains there today and tagged with "deprecated." Some people don't know what it means and occasionally we'll get posts asking why they're not hearing traffic on it.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Submit the info to the database. Wait Sparks40 you can't do that because you don't have a Premium Subscription. If you had a Premium Subscription you could look at all of the info you are asking for. You could also know who is the Databse Admin for your state.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Submit the info to the database. Wait Sparks40 you can't do that because you don't have a Premium Subscription. If you had a Premium Subscription you could look at all of the info you are asking for. You could also know who is the Databse Admin for your state.

You can submit data even though you don't have a premium subscription.

cubn

Database Admin
Does the the HP-1 download frequencies/TGs with Deprecated Tags? I always figured that scanner softwares ignore those along with telemetry frequencies or talkgroups marked as encrypted, etc.

When I get submissions like "all traffic is now on X, nothing heard the past week on Y" then X gets marked as Deprecated. The problem is knowing 'when is the old freq/system obsolete?' Agencies will sometimes fall back to their old systems when problems arise so they aren't removed altogether (right away) unless someone submits personal knowledge that the equipment has been removed or submits that the frequency hasn't been used for an extended length of time. Also, when submissions come in, I don't always know if this frequency change is permanent or temporary.

Often times the old info never gets removed because it's a lot easier to confirm that something is now in use vs something is never used anymore (especially for sparingly used frequencies that can go unused for months only to become active during an emergency). Without personal knowledge of the area, we rely on submissions.

DB admins follow scanner groups, the forums, their own observations, and submissions, but things do get missed. And if you see something wrong, send a submission and it will get sorted out.

OCO

Does the the HP-1 download frequencies/TGs with Deprecated Tags? .

I didn't think so, so I spot checked a couple of MI counties and confirmed that entries marked "Deprecated" in the RR database were not in the HP1 database.......

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Sometimes it is really hard to know when a old system is completely gone. Talking to folks who you think know sometimes doesn't get the right answer. An example may prove to be illustrative here.
The Louisiana State Police in the 1950's, 60's and 70's used VHF LoBand (39.5 MHz) as the prime dispatch channel throughout the state. At some point they moved to HiBand but kept the LoBand radios in the cars. That was replaced with a statewide TRS (Moto 800) sometime in the late 80s. And currently they are on the LWIN system (P25 700/800) which was rushed into place post Katrina. I don't think you will find a 39.5 radio in any SP car in the state.

In the 1990s, I was working with the St. John Parish department of public safety and had an occasion to call Troop B to ask them to test thier LoBand radio, the desk sergeant told me (incorrectly) that they didn't use that anymore and didn't have a radio there. The frequency is still licensed, every Troop has it on the console available and are supposed to be monitoring it 24/7, yet to talk to individuals you would think that it is a dead frequency as far as the LA SP is concerned.​
And that, folks, is why we don't immediately remove depreciated frequencies from the database.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Update....

Well, i did finally figure it out. I had initially downloaded the particular frequencies late last year, and for whatever reason, i did not get all of the talkgroup ID's or frequencies at that time. I found the relevant info from the CARMA and Starcom sites. I haven't cross-referenced that data with what is available on this site to see if it is correct now, but given the time frame, i'm sure it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.