Outdated Radios Fail Capitol Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I saw this over on Scan-DC - I always wondered why they simply didn't add a few more talkgroups to the DC system.

Oh wait a minute - I work for the government, so I know the answer - it makes much too much sense to do, so it won't get done! Wonderful negative logic....73 Mike

freqhopping

I saw this over on Scan-DC - I always wondered why they simply didn't add a few more talkgroups to the DC system.

They already have five channels on the DC system, might as well use them. Buy the necessary radios if need be.

If that system doesn't meet their needs I don't see any reason they should be able to piggyback on one of the two 380mhz systems particularly the 1BC8 system which doesn't have much activity on it to begin with. It's 99% encrypted too. Buy some radios and assign some channels. :roll:

Tax payers ought to get their money's worth out of these systems. No need to create a completely new system.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
They already have five channels on the DC system, might as well use them. Buy the necessary radios if need be.

If that system doesn't meet their needs I don't see any reason they should be able to piggyback on one of the two 380mhz systems particularly the 1BC8 system which doesn't have much activity on it to begin with. It's 99% encrypted too. Buy some radios and assign some channels. :roll:

Tax payers ought to get their money's worth out of these systems. No need to create a completely new system.

They have NO channels on DC's system, there are some talk groups labled for a patch to US Capitol Police but they have never been used and all those patch channels will be gone soon.

As for the 380 systems, yes they can go on them, BUT they will still have to spend the 40-70 millon dollars to make sure they have the coverage in the building the cover and the Capitol subway system

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure that there are people that know a whole lot more about everything going on than we do and won't listen to any suggestions here even if they were better ideas.

As I was reading the second article, I had an idea. If Capitol Police were able to get permission to use one of the DoD systems, see if they could purchase radios from (guess here) Motorola to use on one of those systems. Have an agreement with Motorola that when they have their own system in place, they can trade in those radios for ones that would work on their system if they were not already compatible. Once their new system is almost ready or in the process of replacing\reprogramming the radios, have patches to the DoD site's TGs until all is complete.

This would allow them to have a better system right now. It would not meet all their needs totally but would be a lot better and more secure than what they have now. It would also make use of the funds they might have now and kinda make a step towards the new system without the risk losing the funding.

immelmen

They have NO channels on DC's system, there are some talk groups labled for a patch to US Capitol Police but they have never been used and all those patch channels will be gone soon.

As for the 380 systems, yes they can go on them, BUT they will still have to spend the 40-70 millon dollars to make sure they have the coverage in the building the cover and the Capitol subway system

just wondering, are you sure they dont have capability on the MPD UHF TRS. I took a look in a CP impala and noted, besides the ancient vhf rig was an astro spectra as well as the quarterwave UHF whip on the trunk next to the VHF whip for the old system. I have noticed all their fleet have both the UHF and VHF whips.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
just wondering, are you sure they dont have capability on the MPD UHF TRS. I took a look in a CP impala and noted, besides the ancient vhf rig was an astro spectra as well as the quarterwave UHF whip on the trunk next to the VHF whip for the old system. I have noticed all their fleet have both the UHF and VHF whips.

They have no talkgroups on the system, they have MPD radios so they can talk to MPD direct on MPD channels, there are no channels set aside for USCP

Status
Not open for further replies.