outdoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondi1

just ordered a Yaesu Original FT-7900R Amateur Radio Dual-Band 144/440 MHz Transceiver 50/45 Watts can anyone recommend a low profile antenna? the park management is picky. maybe one that looks like a tree lol

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I take it you are in a mobile home?

That gives you a good place to start. The metal body of the trailer provides an excellent ground plane. Installing a mobile dual band antenna on your roof would work well. If you go with the shorter models, they'll be about 19" tall. They'll be barely noticeable unless someone is specifically looking.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've been using Larsen for 20+ years without issue. While there are cheaper antenna, and some amateur/consumer grade antennas, they aren't a good investment. A high quality, properly installed antenna will give you many years - decades of use. Using an off brand/Chinese antenna to save a few bucks will usually backfire. Since climbing up on roof tops comes with some risks, saving a dollar or two isn't worth it in my mind.

Getting the antenna outside the metal box/trailer will improve performance "hugely". A simple mobile antenna mounted to the top of the trailer will really help performance and will stay low profile enough to pass the "nosey neighbor" test, likely.

dondi1

i wonder if a magnetic one would hold it up. i wouldn't need to strap it on . always looking for the easy way lol thanks again Magnets belong on refrigerators, NOT antennas! :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If the trailer body is steel, then a magnet would hold. If it's aluminum, then you might need to glue down a piece of sheet metal.

If you have a evaporative cooler or AC unit, you could stick/screw it to that.

dondi1

i believe it is a tin roof with tarpaper over it so a magnet would hold i think ,in any case, i will order the antenna thanks for your help

dondi1

I take it you are in a mobile home?

That gives you a good place to start. The metal body of the trailer provides an excellent ground plane. Installing a mobile dual band antenna on your roof would work well. If you go with the shorter models, they'll be about 19" tall. They'll be barely noticeable unless someone is specifically looking.

thank you antenna works great. i put it on the rear part of the roof it cannot be seen unless you were looking for it in rear yard . only made one contact about 30 miles away and he said my signal was very strong . it seems there aren't many hams in my area as i try doing cq and no one ever answers lol hardly hear anyone talking at night, unless its the repeaters giving call signs, occasionally i hear mobile hams talking in the am using mobile radios, like i say very few hams in my area i guess. thanks again 73

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Glad to hear it's working well.

Mounting the antenna over a good ground plane, like the roof of your trailer, is a good move. More often than not, people will cut corners on the install, instead going for "looks" or ease of install.

30 miles isn't bad at all, in fact, that's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.