Outdoor Antennas Not Allowed In City Of Tampa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Has a couple phone calls with a city code officer who said outdoor antennas are illegal on houses in Tampa and that he's had a few cases over the years where he's made homeowners take 'em down. Is this for real??

prcguy

It might be their local rules but they cannot make you remove a reasonable size TV antenna or a satellite dish antenna up to about 1m in size on your personal property, that is protected by federal laws. Call them back and ask if you can put up a TV antenna or DirecTV dish and see what they say. If its not favorable then I hope they are ready for a lawsuit.

Has a couple phone calls with a city code officer who said outdoor antennas are illegal on houses in Tampa and that he's had a few cases over the years where he's made homeowners take 'em down. Is this for real??

prcguy

I gave this a quick readthrough and it sounds like the city of Tampa has very reasonable antenna rules and you should be able to put up a TV antenna, a satellite dish and a couple of ham radio type antennas without too much trouble.

Sec. 27-290.2. - Antennas.

a417

I gave this a quick readthrough and it sounds like the city of Tampa has very reasonable antenna rules and you should be able to put up a TV antenna, a satellite dish and a couple of ham radio type antennas without too much trouble.
I did, too. Was better thought out than some I've seen.

CanesFan95

(h) looks like it says you can only have 1 antenna. And I'm not sure what "RM-12 residential districts " means.

a417

Google-fu

I'm reasonably confident that you can subtly put more than 1 antenna on a single antenna structure under that code's wording and not have a problem.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It appears as if someone with some smarts, including radio knowledge, put it together.

Mastiff2013

(h) looks like it says you can only have 1 antenna. And I'm not sure what "RM-12 residential districts " means.

RM-12 residential multiple-family. This district provides primarily for low-medium density residential uses including single-family and two-family developments. Multiple-family development may be permitted through the special use permit procedure.

n1das

if you have your amateur license --> subsection (h)

I very highly recommend Fred K1VR's book:

Disclaimer: I know Fred K1VR. He literally wrote the book on the subject of antenna zoning. It is his area of subject matter expertise and practice in telecommunications law. I met Fred in 2005 through a ham friend of mine who retained him as his attorney to get permitted by his town in VT to raise his existing 40ft tower (no permit required) to 100ft (permit required) and an abutting neighbor complained. I attended the 3 public hearings that took place. The neighbor's complaints were baseless and didn't hold up. Permit granted!

Last edited:

CanesFan95

I was hoping to do 1 push-up pole with a dual-bander on top for transmitting and a TV antenna just below it on the same pole. Then a 2nd push-up pole with a discone and another TV antenna under it.

a417

I was hoping to do 1 push-up pole with a dual-bander on top for transmitting and a TV antenna just below it on the same pole. Then a 2nd push-up pole with a discone and another TV antenna under it.
why two TV antennas? You can get one of the multi-directional ones and a powered amp/splitter and kill two birds with one stone.

as it was mentioned earlier, it reads as if you can have the TV separate from the amateur(/chicken band) and be just fine.

CanesFan95

My hope was to aim directional TV antennas toward Orlando to get more stations, and I believe splitters may reduce the signal. But the more I read this "municode" thing, the more I think that code inspector is wrong. The 2nd phone call I had with him, I mentioned the municode language, but he said he was aware of it and knew what I was looking at. He still asserted it was illegal (and actually used the word illegal).

a417

My hope was to aim directional TV antennas toward Orlando to get more stations, and I believe splitters may reduce the signal.

You can get one of the multi-directional ones and a powered amp/splitter and kill two birds with one stone.

whoops, orig post should have said "distribution amplifier" which is not a simple splitter. my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.