Outdoor/Base Antenna in my attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

I know outside is of course going to be the best, but I have one 10-foot RG-8 cable and I am about 5 feet too short.

How big of difference would it make being in my attic when monitoring UHF freqs? I already pick up the UHF freqs I monitor OK from my bedroom, so I was thinking it would at least be better in my attic than my room. But no windows or opening in the attic...

Suggestions/Comments?

btritch

Room Good, Attic Better, Outside Best...

Well I'm going to try and help here, I don't do much UHF monitoring so it's going to be iffy.... But I'm thinking since you can already pick up the UHF system in your room on the original antenna, Then there shouldn't be a problem with it in the attic as opposed to outside, However, As you said, outside would be best, BUT In the attic, If it's not a system that way far off, there shouldn't be a problem, If it is father off, You may want to invest in some longer cable for outside... But from what it sounds like you're saying, Picking it up already is a relatively good sign, Then adding a high gain outdoor antenna to it is another plus although not as good as outside, I think you'd be ok with it in the attic..Run it in the attic awhile, Then put it outside and you'll notice a helluva difference...But the attic sounds sufficient for right now, I'd give it a shot!

The greatest improvement seems to come at about 20' or so off ground level, you for best results get it above the roof. Going higher helps some, but you have to go a lot higher and use a lot more expensive materials to mSaving a few dollars and skimping will just bug you for years to come, and you will probably end up doing it right.

Note though, that if you do go above your roof, you are going to need a decent mast, ground wire, a static discharge block, and ground rods driven into the ground per electrical code. It isn't just as simple as throwing an antenna up on the roof. A good comporomise is a ten foot mast in a tripod.

I would personally just wait until I had all the materials to do it right, then put it up in on shot. I could guess that you are going to end up monitoring 800mhz in the future, so RG-8 isn't a very strong choice anyway. Get some LMR-400 and solder connectors where needed for the exact lengths you need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.