Outdoor container for 3 sdrdongles

Status
Not open for further replies.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Any good ideas on how and what to use to locate my sdr's outside near the bottom of my tower?
3 sdr's, 1 Electroline amp, 1 USB hub, 1 FM trap, 2 rg6 cables, 1 Lmr400 cable and 1 cat 6 cable. Bug and moisture proof of course.

S

simpilo

I hope you are considering the heat inside that box under direct sunlight this time of year. If they are RTL-sdr dongles then 3 will make it extra crispy along with a amp. I hope nothing overheats. Home Depot has weather resistant uv stabilised utility boxes made to be mounted outside.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NEMA R4 box. Paint it gloss white to reflect heat. You can get the boxes with plywood on the inside back wall to mount equipment to. Use cable feed throughs that allow you to seal up against moisture, creepy crawlies, etc.
Ground the box well.

On the cheap side….
I've seen people use tupperware containers, igloo coolers, old truck toolboxes, racks covered in trash bags (really…).

I've got a few remote sites with 10 watt UHF repeaters inside the R4 boxes. Boxes are gloss white with a small temperature controlled fan in them with a screened inlet and screened output.

millam

Old Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I have seen some good ideas using your suggestions.

Mil

Status
Not open for further replies.