Outdoor Scanner Antenna tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, I am turning to you guys my fellow washintonian scanner friends to give me tips on installing a outdoor scanner antenna. Does anyone know if there is a online scanner antenna install guide, or I was wondering if you guys could help me with your knowledge and tips. I am getting a outdoor discone antenna next month and have no Idea what to do. This is the one I am getting http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Type/Scanner/HAM&fbc=1&parentPage=family

--Any help from you guys would be very great! Thanks -Louie-- :)

Last edited:

KC0QNB

You will need coax, a place to mount the antenna, like a mast, if I was you I would figure out how much cable you might need, and have it pre-assembled with the proper connectors. Figure out how you are going to get the scanner end in the house to your radio room, mount the antenna attach the coax to the antenna, run the coax, after that it is pretty much plug-n-play.
If you are still concerned get a hold of a local RR member that has experience and have him help.

gelyon

Use a good coaxial cable. Here is a chart of different types, look at the attenuation chart (lower numbers are better). I would recommend any of the RG-8 types. LMR-400 is very good. If you are receiving only, you can use 50 or 70 ohm. If you will be transmitting, use 50 ohm.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This really belongs in our antennas forum - however, one thing to keep in mind is that the connection between the coax, plug and connector on the antenna is not waterproof. You want to wrap the connector with a good double layer of electrical tape, and use a good silicone sealant to keep the water out. There's also a product called 'Coax Seal' (some ham outlets still carry it) which is a mallable tape that is also quite good at sealing connections

Otherwise that joint will let water into the coax and ruin it. 73 Mike

tmfok7

This really belongs in our antennas forum - however, one thing to keep in mind is that the connection between the coax, plug and connector on the antenna is not waterproof. You want to wrap the connector with a good double layer of electrical tape, and use a good silicone sealant to keep the water out.

Most especially here in Seattle! The only place where an umbrella is like a Master-Card...Don't leave home without it!

AtomicTaco

Just click the
report.gif
and it'll notify a moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.