Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna vs Mag base mount noise issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudMor

I wanted to make the move to an outdoor antenna for my Pro-197 Scanner So I took my Mag Base Model: 20-032 and put it on a cookie sheet and closed the window on it. It worked great.
So I figured if the mobile mag base antenna worked so well I would try one of the ground plane antennas Model: 20-176 on a tripod mount. So I purchased one and mounted it and I have a 50 foot coax run from it.
Trunked channels come in crystal clear but my problem is all my 155 area channel now have a very annoying crackling noise to them. If I switch back to the mag base they don't. I have no clue what is causing it. I have rerouted the coax with no changes. I was wondering if the ground plane might actually need grounded?
Anyone have any suggestions?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You might be getting a problem with more signal, to the point of messing with your AGC or desensing the receiver. Try turning on the attenuator, on the channels. (The ATT button. You may want to make sure the "G" is not on the screen, or the attenuation is applied to all signals, not just the individuals selected.)

Sent via Tapatalk

BudMor

I will try turning it on but the crackling is only there when I get something on those channels. Its not just stopping on noise.I think I may have just figured it out. I went out and made a choke loop in the coax right at the antenna and now crackling has been very minimized

Status
Not open for further replies.