Outer Banks Mil-Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevin

Does anyone know good Mil-Air freqs for the Outer Banks area. Last time I was there I remeber alot of fighters on patrol (out of Norfolk?) I'm going back again in a few weeks and I'm trying to get a good file together.

PS,If anyone has any good civil air feqs, those would also be greatly appreciated.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I hope you're going back before June 21st. From June 12 to 22 (some sources indicate termination on the 21st), there will be a major milair exercise along the N.C coast.

http://www.faa.gov/NTAP/NTAP04MAY13/mil04005.htm

Simultaneous activities will be occuring at other U.S. and foreign locations, in conjunction with this exercise.

http://www.jfcom.mil/about/exercises/cjtfex04.htm

I do not normally monitor military communications, but here's a couple of sources to gather additional information:

-- George Fetters' www/milaircomms.com has some frequency information, plus a link to subscribe to a good milair group on Yahoogroups.

-- The First Flight celebration got some good frequency coverage on the obx_scanning list on Yahoogroups, and this is also a good - but small - group for Outer Banks information, in general. Two diehard milair hobbyists on the list ... Jack Painter (the Oceana Radio website) and Rich Rowland. There is also a member who is involved in tech work on the Navy's remote sites on the Outer Banks.

-- The Charleston-Scan list on Yahoogroups has a few diehard milair listeners. Look for Mark Cleary, and list owner Paul Jones.

-- There have already been some posts on the ScanSavannah list on Yahoogroups related to the cjtfex04 exercise, including a post about expected related communications in the coastal S.C. / Ga. areas. List owner Roland "Mac" McCormick has an ear to the scanner, and an eye to the sky 24/7, with regards to milair comms on HF/VHF/UHF.

Since the exercise starts before your visit to the Outer Banks, the four Yahoogroups mentioned above should give you an indication of frequencies being heard in use, as well as callsigns and usage.

You might want to subscribe to Jack Painter's "iscanmarine" Yahoogroup, which is dedicated to search-and-rescue marine and air comms. In the past, Jack has run live audio on the list site. He might have plans to do something along that line during the exercise.

BTW - Depending on where you'll be staying on the Outer Banks, a trip to the Dare County Bombing Range might be of interest. There is a public viewing area. I believe the Public Affairs officer at Seymour-Johnson AFB handles information about the range, and you can call the morning of a potential visit to find out if the range will be in use that day.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

mlevin

Wow, that's a great start. I'll pick up a copy of beyond police call. and see what I get. Thanks for the help.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The following appeared on the WRAL (TV 5 / Raleigh) inline news site Thursday morning, and is related to the military exercise off the N.C. coast mentioned previously.

This might provide extra opportunities for monitors in the affected coastal areas to hear SAR comms related to weekend mariners.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

N.C. Boaters Urged Not To Use GPS This Weekend

POSTED: 4:58 pm EDT June 9, 2004

PORTSMOUTH, Va. -- Boaters will be unable to rely on Global Positioning System equipment and possibly cell phones because of scheduled disruptions from Friday to Sunday that will affect mariners transiting the waters of North Carolina and parts of Florida.

GPS interference testing conducted during an exercise by the Department of Defense will make the GPS signal unreliable and may affect cell phone signals from about 50 to 60 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C., and approximately 80 miles out between Jacksonville and Melbourne, Fla.

Disruptions along the North Carolina Coast will affect Albemarle Sound, Pamlico Sound and the Coastal North Carolina area from Currituck Beach Light to Cape Lookout and the IntraCoastal Waterways of North Carolina.

"The Coast Guard fully supports the efforts of the Department of Defense during this important exercise," said Rear Admiral Sally Brice-O'Hara, commander of the Fifth Coast Guard District. "But, we must get the word out to impacted mariners so they can take the necessary precautions to keep themselves safe during this busy boating season."

Mariners should not rely on GPS nor cell phones from June 11 to 20. Plan ahead and use VHF radios to communicate on the water. A cell phone is a good backup communications device, but out on the open water, it is no substitute for a VHF radio.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Also a good time for the mariners with HAM radios to make sure that they all are in good working order huh?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Don't know about 80 miles out lol, but within say 10 miles of the shore you might get a signal from an on shore tower.

mlevin

Even that is gonna be hit or miss, being that they usually space the towers only a few miles apart. Last time I was there, cell coverage was pretty lousy on land as well.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The USCG UHF is the mil air and is in AM mode. The VHF is standard marine usage and is usually in FM.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Just remember when monitoring the USCG Marine, and Air Freqs, that if the ship is a good distance out, you will only hear the Shore/Aircraft side.

mlevin

Folks, just as soon as I figure out how to zip a .p96 file, I'll post here for all to enjoy. Everyone have a safe trip, and thanks for all the help. It looks like this is gonna be a good trip for the scanner enthusiast.

mlevin

Okay folks, here's the file. Just take note that there's Maryland stuff in the file aslo. OBX stuff is in banks 1-4. If you don't have a pro96, then go to .www.starrsoft.com and get the WinXX Data Converter. Everyone enjoy, and have a great trip. See ya on the dunes!

Status
Not open for further replies.