Over 30 Military Planes Circling Elmira New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF-Burns

As of 5 30 this afternoon there are over 30 military planes circling over the southern tier including the City of Elmira. I do not have my scanner with me in my work truck, anybody able to monitor military air frequencies?

Maybe Super Bowl practice?

Motoman55

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

What kind of planes?

RF-Burns

Jets - 30,000 feet or above. all were very close to each other and seem to be in multiple different formations

esfd283

Could be some sort of practice for Super Bowl flyover etc? Too difficult to practice in the NYC area.

D

DaveNF2G

30,000 feet would be within major commercial air routes going to and from NYC and Newark.

Were you seeing the individual aircraft turning and staying in the area, or a bunch of straight lines crossing in the sky over the Elmira VOR?

lafd55

Military Jets don't usually practice for flyovers. They usually have a set time when they are needed to fly over head and have a Air Controller in the stadium to key them in.

RF-Burns

Dave NF2G,

There were multiple packs with three or four in a cluster. The we're definitely in the VOR of Elmira. They were going every which direction north and south east and west. Based on what the other poster found I am betting it is Super Bowl No Fly Zone Preparation. I just can't believe they would use all that aircraft. Leave it to the government.

D

DaveNF2G

I would be very skeptical about a practice session that would show off their planned flight patterns to a large audience on the ground. There might have been some sort of training going on, but without any information about what they were saying to each other, the rest is all speculation.

rbm

A couple 'bits' of information.

Normally I log the MilAir activity around the Southern Tier but for a few days I was logging a trunked system with that scanner instead.

I did walk into the den once and heard more than the normal 'Military' activity on 127.55 MHz (BGM 6000'-8000' approach.)
I was busy with other things so I didn't have time to stop and listen.
But they were talking about Elmira and BGM told them to switch to 122.2 MHZ.
For whatever reason, they came back on 127.55 and BGM continued with them.

There's also been much more than the normal amount of 'Drone' training/activity' an 138.625 MHz recently.

Rich

By the way, one of my private feeds is local MilAir and BGM

If you're interested, you can put this link in your media player.

http://scanbroomecounty.no-ip.org:59000

I can't promise how long it will be MilAir only. From time to time I feed other things also.

nyair1

As of 5 30 this afternoon there are over 30 military planes circling over the southern tier including the City of Elmira. I do not have my scanner with me in my work truck, anybody able to monitor military air frequencies?

Maybe Super Bowl practice?

Motoman55

From my logs on that day i had 2 A-10's and a KC-135 tanker in the Duke MOA which is near Olean, NY / Bradford, PA areas.

2 flts of 4 F15's in the Viper / ADK Airspace near Ft Drum, NY area. They came out of MA.

I don't think they would have came down that low to go back home though??

lafd55

I would be very skeptical about a practice session that would show off their planned flight patterns to a large audience on the ground. There might have been some sort of training going on, but without any information about what they were saying to each other, the rest is all speculation.

Did you see the link in the above post.......... The one about military exercises in preparation for Super Bowl.........

D

DaveNF2G

Yes. The article said that the exercise would take place at 04:30 for one hour. The OP reported his sighting at 17:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.