over heated uniden bearcat BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if any one has experienced overheating a scanner by accident. I had my bearcat bcd996t mounted to my dash of my truck and the other day the temperature out side got in to the high 80's. when I got in to my truck after work I noticed my scanner didn't turn on and that it was hot so I moved it to cool down and brought it in side when I got home Waited a couple hours and it still didn't turn on. I wanted to know Is it shot or is there a way I can fix it and get it running again?

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
If your technically inclined and good with electronics you could open up and see if a wire may have melted or if something like a solder point came loose. If you are not only thing I can think of is to send it in to uniden and have them service it. I've only had to ever send in one scanner of many to be serviced for a failed speaker they are quick and it will come back working like new if you do send it in. At least that was my experience sending a unit into uniden for repair.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
If your technically inclined and good with electronics you could open up and see if a wire may have melted or if something like a solder point came loose. If you are not only thing I can think of is to send it in to uniden and have them service it. I've only had to ever send in one scanner of many to be serviced for a failed speaker they are quick and it will come back working like new if you do send it in. At least that was my experience sending a unit into uniden for repair.

Thankyou I didn't know you could sent it to uniden. I had tried to take it apart and came close to stripping two of the screws so I stopped there. If I send it to uniden dose it have to have a warranty with it because I bought this one from a friend.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Thankyou I didn't know you could sent it to uniden. I had tried to take it apart and came close to stripping two of the screws so I stopped there. If I send it to uniden dose it have to have a warranty with it because I bought this one from a friend.

Go to uniden.com and check out the repair program I believe it costs about 75 dollars to have it serviced. All the info you need is on the Uniden website sorry I can't be more help on the price it has been while since I have had to send something in to be serviced.

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
Go to uniden.com and check out the repair program I believe it costs about 75 dollars to have it serviced. All the info you need is on the Uniden website sorry I can't be more help on the price it has been while since I have had to send something in to be serviced.

I will definitely Check in to it Thankyou very much

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I have had my 996T installed into the dash of my Tacoma pickup since 2006 with outside temps up to 100 degrees with no issues. Just wondering if the heat really did it in ?

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
I have had my 996T installed into the dash of my Tacoma pickup since 2006 with outside temps up to 100 degrees with no issues. Just wondering if the heat really did it in ?
I'm not sure if it was the heat but that was the fist day it got really hot out and I always left the power knob turned on because I had it plugged in to a cigarette plug that is only powered when on and it didn't turn on when I started the truck so I just turned it off and took it out if my truck and plugged it in inside after a couple hours and it started to turn on then it shut down and hasn't turned on since

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
If you 996T was mounted on the dash, rather than in, I can certainly see it getting too hot. It is, after all, electronics in a black metal case. Direct sunlight is not your friend.

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
If you 996T was mounted on the dash, rather than in, I can certainly see it getting too hot. It is, after all, electronics in a black metal case. Direct sunlight is not your friend.
Yes it was mounted to the top of the dash because that's the only place I can mount it. but if I can get it fixed I'm not putting it back in my truck

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Best of luck with it man. I have to send my 436 in for a fading display and reception issues. Mine will be there too. :)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I have had various scanners mounted on the dash of my truck over the years, such as the 996T, PSR-600 and 996P2 (currently). They've been in there on nights when it was below 0° F in winter to days when its been over 100° F in the summer. On the hot days the case has been so hot that I couldn't even touch it until the a/c had run a bit and cooled the cab down. Through all the extremes I have never had a failure, and have been amazed at their tolerance for wide swings over the course of a year.

As for service, another you might consider is G&G. While I have never had to have a scanner serviced, they do seem to have a good reputation here. Good luck.

G&G Communications

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
I have had various scanners mounted on the dash of my truck over the years, such as the 996T, PSR-600 and 996P2 (currently). They've been in there on nights when it was below 0° F in winter to days when its been over 100° F in the summer. On the hot days the case has been so hot that I couldn't even touch it until the a/c had run a bit and cooled the cab down. Through all the extremes I have never had a failure, and have been amazed at their tolerance for wide swings over the course of a year.

As for service, another you might consider is G&G. While I have never had to have a scanner serviced, they do seem to have a good reputation here. Good luck.

G&G Communications
I have herd of g&g Communication before I will look into them as well Thankyou

RFI-EMI-GUY

I'm not sure if it was the heat but that was the fist day it got really hot out and I always left the power knob turned on because I had it plugged in to a cigarette plug that is only powered when on and it didn't turn on when I started the truck so I just turned it off and took it out if my truck and plugged it in inside after a couple hours and it started to turn on then it shut down and hasn't turned on since

You did check to see if there is power to the cigar lighter outlet in the vehicle? Sometimes those fuses blow.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

backdraft354

Premium Subscriber
You did check to see if there is power to the cigar lighter outlet in the vehicle? Sometimes those fuses blow.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
No wasn't that when I got home I plugged it in to the AC adapter and still nothing. I even tried it with the hard wire harness to the battery and nothing. but Thankyou

SCPD

QRT
Ah but did you try and freeze it in the freezer ,leave it out to thaw then try it after a few hours?
I did this with my Sirius Radio 9 years ago and it still works!
Rule # 1 keep LCDs out of the sun.
That flops,try a new adapter from the manufacturer.

Eng74

I live in the desert an had PSR-600 and 996XT in my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew they were near the floor between the front seats. When warmer weather would start I would keep a cloth over the LCD displays. When it's 110 outside, you know how hot it can get inside a vehicle. Once the a/c was on for a while the displays would start to work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.