Over Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm on a quick trip to the Kittery, ME area and using the 536 in my truck. I have a FL set up for Maine and was listening especially to see if my programming for the new statewide trunking system was good. I got out of the truck and when I returned and restarted the scanner I got an "over limit" message and then the screen went blank. I had to unplug the power to get the scanner to restart. I tested all of the other FLs and all worked fine.

Has anyone had a simar experience? Does anyone know what this message means and how to fix it?

A bit more detail. After restarting witb a different start up configuration I went in to the menu system to see if I could edit the system s in that FL. The system wouldn't load and I got the following error message,

FILE SIZE IS TOO LARGE (UP TO 1M BYTE)

I'm not really sure what the problem is since I have larger systems programmed in other FLs that run fine. FWIW, I was running in ID Search mode.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm on a quick trip to the Kittery, ME area and using the 536 in my truck. I have a FL set up for Maine and was listening especially to see if my programming for the new statewide trunking system was good. I got out of the truck and when I returned and restarted the scanner I got an "over limit" message and then the screen went blank. I had to unplug the power to get the scanner to restart. I tested all of the other FLs and all worked fine.

Has anyone had a simar experience? Does anyone know what this message means and how to fix it?

A bit more detail. After restarting witb a different start up configuration I went in to the menu system to see if I could edit the system s in that FL. The system wouldn't load and I got the following error message,

FILE SIZE IS TOO LARGE (UP TO 1M BYTE)

I'm not really sure what the problem is since I have larger systems programmed in other FLs that run fine. FWIW, I was running in ID Search mode.
I've had that come up a couple of times on my 536, but never on the 436. It's always been after I've downloaded either updated Favorites lists, or a database update, to the scanner via Sentinel. Same symptoms- "over limit" message, screen goes to a blank white screen, only way to turn off is to remove power.

My largest Favorites list is less than half the 1Mb max. The first time this occurred, I removed power, then plugged the scanner back in to see if it wold restart normally. It did not in my case. Since then, when it has happened a couple of other times, I've just cleared the card with a card reader, and moved on. But, based on what you're seeing, it sounds like the config file may be the culprit. Especially since this occurred, in your case, since you were not making a change on the scanner itself, or via Sentinel & a pc.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If a favorite list is more than 1MB disk size, the scanner will error when trying to load it. How big is your favorite list file?

garys

Premium Subscriber
If a favorite list is more than 1MB disk size, the scanner will error when trying to load it. How big is your favorite list file?

No where near that large. It's one of the smaller FLs in the scanner, I have far larger ones. It loaded the first time I started with that config, but subsequently wouldn't load. I'm inclined to go with the corrupt file theory for now.

I've been thinking of keeping a spar programmed micro SD car in my truck for situations like this, now I'll probably just go ahead and do it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
My largest one (which is also the default) is less than 300kb, well under the limit.

It sounds as if, somehow, the config file is getting corrupted and reporting a much larger size. However, in my case, each time this happened, was immediately after an update, so there is some possibility (again, in my specific case; Gary was not doing an update via pc), that perhaps the update left two copies of the same list in there, each with the same quick quick, which is not allowed. Not sure what error code would display in that case, but I have no actual duplicate QK's among my FL's. I have not had a recurrence since I started using the "erase all favorites lists on the scanner" option when doing the downloads. I don't use that on the HP-1 unless it has something I want to flush out, say a test FL I set up for someone else or for a discovery project.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I programmed a new card this morning and popped it into the scanner. Everything ran fine with no problem, so I'm going to go with the corrupt data theory.

I brought the "bad" card in and read it using ARC536. Read fine, but when I popped it into my 436, I got the same "Over Limit" message.

I just overwrote the card and will try it when I have a moment. Hopefully, it wont' happen again. If it does, I'll try reformatting the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.