• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Over the air programing (OTAP) and XPR6550?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuneDevil

I've got about 100 radios to program and my managers keep wanting "tweaks" to how the channels are organized.

I see in the system planner doc that OTAP would be very helpful in my situation, but I'm having trouble installing it (windows service isn't running).

I called Motorola and they said that the XPR6000 series doesn't support OTAP anyway... Is that true?

VE3RADIO

I've got about 100 radios to program and my managers keep wanting "tweaks" to how the channels are organized.

I see in the system planner doc that OTAP would be very helpful in my situation, but I'm having trouble installing it (windows service isn't running).

I called Motorola and they said that the XPR6000 series doesn't support OTAP anyway... Is that true?

If you asked Motorola and they told you an answer why would you come here and ask.. just curious?

DuneDevil

I ask here because:
1. There are other members who have extensive experience administering a fleet of XPR6000 series radios.
2. While I value Motorola tech support, I don't know the experience level of the individual I spoke with.
3. Just because something isn't officially supported by the manufacturer does not mean that it isn't possible.

N4KVE

If you call Moto to ask them if a XPR6580 will work on 902/927 ham freq's they will tell you "no". But as we all know with a little hex editing, it works on 902/927 just fine.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
As an MSS employee who's worked on both generations of TRBO radios, they are correct. The 6000/4000 series do not support OTAP, only the newer models (7550, 5550, etc).

EncryptedTech

They are correct that series will not do OTAP, don't worry its so slow, its faster to drive around to them all.

DuneDevil

Thanks for the confirmations, I was afraid of this. Well I guess I need to figure out a way to migrate to the XPR7550s... :)

Thanks again.

vans113

Premium Subscriber
You would never want to use that anyways for 100 radios it is EXTREMELY slow

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

DuneDevil

Interesting about the slow speed. I'm thinking about migrating to the 7550s, one of the main reasons being the OTAP. Can't you just set up batch jobs and let the system take care of it over the course of a few hours?

I'm sort of "thread-jacking" my own thread, but OTAP isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Firebuff880

Interesting about the slow speed. I'm thinking about migrating to the 7550s, one of the main reasons being the OTAP. Can't you just set up batch jobs and let the system take care of it over the course of a few hours?

I'm sort of "thread-jacking" my own thread, but OTAP isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Yes, that is exactly what you do -- You need to install the Radio Manager that comes with CPS to do this, and while it's not required, the Wireline data interface (MNIS/DDMS) is recommended over the Control Station approach, but both work.

Status
Not open for further replies.