Overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synfulto

Ok I haven't had a scanner in 30 yrs.. I live in rural Oklahoma and just want something to listen to what's going on around me. I used to understand that regular traffic was on certain channels/frequencies and then if something happened they switched to another channel/frequency.. I don't even know what those are anymore and I would like to purchase a scanner and seriously need advice. I believe our local law is using a trunk system.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to radio reference. What is your county and Hometown in Oklahoma?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would like to purchase a scanner and seriously need advice. I believe our local law is using a trunk system.

You need to tell us where you are located and what you want to listen to in order for us to help you. Oklahoma is a big state with many agencies and systems. Please help us help you. Start by looking at the Oklahoma database on here and identify what you are trying to listen to and where.

Synfulto

You need to tell us where you are located and what you want to listen to in order for us to help you. Oklahoma is a big state with many agencies and systems. Please help us help you. Start by looking at the Oklahoma database on here and identify what you are trying to listen to and where.

Yes . Thank you. I'm trying to listen to Wagoner county sheriff and Wagoner city police and I want to be able to hear them when they switch to the other channels durring an emergency if that's possible.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The good news is they don't appear to be encrypted though several other agencies are, but you will need at least a P25 Phase 2 scanner for Wagoner SO and PD. There isn't any indication these are simulcast. For a list of scanners check this list

Broken Arrow Communications Regional Network
Project 25 Phase II
Wagoner County Sheriff and Emergency Management are on this system

Synfulto

The good news is they don't appear to be encrypted, but you will need at least a P25 Phase 2 scanner for Wagoner SO and PD. There isn't any indication these are simulcast though several other agencies are. For a list of scanners check this list

Project 25 Phase II
Thank you so very much. There is so much information here. I've been reading all day. I then have to go and translate half of what I've read to decipher it , then read it again. I just want to buy a scanner. I don't have any problems taking it to be programmed if it's needed.
I appreciate your taking the time to point out a direction.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hahaha so we have some good news and we have some bad news. Anyway read all the links that GAW sent you. Look at the different departments. It would appear that the sheriff's office is not encrypted and it looks like your hometown is not encrypted but there is a lot in the surrounding area that you will see an E under the mode. That means no scanner can pick them up.

It is a phase 2 system so you would need a phase 2 capable scanner. The newer the better. There are older model P2 capable scanners and new simulcast capable P2 scanners. What kind of money were you expecting to spend?

Synfulto

And I don't live in town . I live in the county with my grandkids. Near a big highway. I can do without Wagoner pd but definitely need the county sheriff

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I had some phone calls but I'm back and I was looking over the posts and I had missed some things and it looks like GAW and I are basically saying the same thing and we posted around the same time. That's good reinforcement.

I smiled at the $300 cost limit but it has been a long time since you've been in the loop. So for my two cents here I'll just give you some generalizations more than specifics. I see that you did pick out the 1065 which is not Phase 2 capable, just as a note that is a scanner that was developed in 2007 by another company then rebranded by another company and then rebranded by Whistler but it's the same exact radio from 2007.

I loved that radio, it was a great radio in its day and owned four of them... In 2007-2014 LOL. There are people today who are not familiar with radios and don't come on radio reference and speak with folks. They just buy the radio from Whistler thinking it's a new radio. Then they come on the Forum to find out why it doesn't work only to hear the bad news, so you've already dodged a bullet LOL.

The days of multiple scanner makers is over. There's two brands of scanners, Uniden and Whistler. Look at the Uniden models also, there are some other options also that people will suggest.

So you're thinking about a trx-1 for Phase 2, do your homework before you spend a lot of money. Google it which will take you right to threads on RR. Google trx-1 and Phase 2 performance.

Look at the Uniden P2 capable models, some pretty long in the tooth, look at their latest models the sds100 and the sds200. Look at the prices, talk about being overwhelmed.

I use the 100 and the 200 on my Phase 2 system. Look them up and admire the display.

I'm not going to recommend any specific scanner as they'll be plenty of other people who are going to do that as everyone has their favorite for their own reason whether it be a good one or not.

Do your homework, read, Google, check out Wiki, believe users experiences and opinions before you believe the vendors description and claims.

Hopefully others will come on your thread which is brand new and give you feedback.

Remember the Golden Rule. You get what you pay for... Bob.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh and I forgot one other thing that's very important. Go on the Oklahoma State forum and ask people about the system that you are on. I am sure there will be a thread or two about your system. Ask people what radio they use and what works and what doesn't. Maybe find someone local to you if you can for their feedback.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The good news is they don't appear to be encrypted though several other agencies are, but you will need at least a P25 Phase 2 scanner for Wagoner SO and PD. There isn't any indication these are simulcast. For a list of scanners check this list

Project 25 Phase II
Wagoner County Sheriff, as well as Wagoner (city) both are on this system:

That is a P25 Phase II system, but for now, the talkgroups related to your county are still using P25 Phase I, as noted by the D in the mode column.
1610508321522.png
Wagoner County Fire is on OKWIN P25
That is a P25 Phase I system,
I was looking at the Whistler ws1065 just now.
For now, a WS1065 would cover what you currently want to monitor. But if the County and Wagoner (city) radios will be, at some point, upgraded to P25 Phase II, that would leave you out in the cold.
Lol . See? Overwhelmed.
Do you have a suggestion ? Or should I go with the trx 2 ?
The TRX-2 would give you Phase II capability if or when your agencies of interest migrate to Phase II.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you considered the Uniden Home Patrol 2? It's very user friendly needing little programming to get going (basically updating database).

Comparably priced to the Whistler TRX 2.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Wagoner County Sheriff, as well as Wagoner (city) both are on this system:

That is a P25 Phase II system, but for now, the talkgroups related to your county are still using P25 Phase I, as noted by the D in the mode column.
View attachment 96979
Wagoner County Fire is on OKWIN P25
That is a P25 Phase I system,

For now, a WS1065 would cover what you currently want to monitor. But if the County and Wagoner (city) radios will be, at some point, upgraded to P25 Phase II, that would leave you out in the cold.

The TRX-2 would give you Phase II capability if or when your agencies of interest migrate to Phase II.
Well I'll be. I just skimmed over and saw the phase 2 system in the header but they certainly don't look like T's to me oh, they look like D's LOL I wonder if they are in the process of moving over or in a period of flux. If they are moving over the the home Patrol or trx-1 don't play well with tdma Phase 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.