Overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well I'll be. I just skimmed over and saw the phase 2 system in the header but they certainly don't look like T's to me oh, they look like D's LOL I wonder if they are in the process of moving over or in a period of flux. If they are moving over the the home Patrol or trx-1 don't play well with tdma Phase 2.
TRX-1 or HP-2 would work either way (Phase I or II). The HP-2 is more user friendly than the TRX series (at least to me). I don't see any DMR in the OP's county. There is a NXDN trunked system listed that has some public safety agencies on it, but those are off to the north, on either side of the OK & KS border.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes you definitely took the time to look harder than I did. I think it was around dinner time, that would explain it LOL.

Synfulto

Yes you definitely took the time to look harder than I did. I think it was around dinner time, that would explain it LOL.
Y'all are wonderful. I can see I'm going to have to double my budget and that's doable in another month or so. Lol looks like it might take me that long to figure out which one I actually need.
Wagoner county has been complaining about their outdated system for a long time but I was thinking they just got some "new" used equipment from Broken Arrow when they upgraded.
However I still don't want to be replacing that kind of expensive equipment in a year or so.
I really appreciate your time and life always comes before anything electronic so don't worry if it takes time to respond to any of my questions.
I am going to see if I can contact anyone that actually has equipment here and see what they are running.
Somewhere I've got some old HAM equipment around here and also some Chinese brand walkies and a scanner I've never even messed with. and maybe I can work out a trade with one of them.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are some T's in there. So the system is Phase 2, but all the mobiles and portables might be old/Phase 1 only. Its probably a matter of time before migration happens.

The Home Patrol 2 IS phase 2 or TDMA, capable.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 or HP-2 would work either way (Phase I or II). The HP-2 is more user friendly than the TRX series (at least to me). I don't see any DMR in the OP's county. There is a NXDN trunked system listed that has some public safety agencies on it, but those are off to the north, on either side of the OK & KS border.
There are some T's in there. So the system is Phase 2, but all the mobiles and portables might be old/Phase 1 only. Its probably a matter of time before migration happens.

I only expressed concern because of simulcast distortion secondary to LSM but it's about location and system. Probably users of the system could shed some light on this in the Oklahoma State forum. I did see some T's and I missed the D's but I definitely did see some E's but not on the posters hometown or the Sheriff's Office. I saw in the header that it was Phase 2 but do realize now it's a mix... I have no doubt it'll all go over eventually.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I only expressed concern because of simulcast distortion secondary to LSM but it's about location and system. Probably users of the system could shed some light on this in the Oklahoma State forum. I did see some T's and I missed the D's but I definitely did see some E's but not on the posters hometown or the Sheriff's Office. I saw in the header that it was Phase 2 but do realize now it's a mix... I have no doubt it'll all go over eventually.
Simulcast, it seems, is always a consideration. But for the OKWIN P25 system, the site in the OP's county (Wagoner) is at Coweta, and is not simulcast.

For the Broken Arrow Phase II system, Site 1 (Broken Arrow) is simulcast, but only one of the transmit sites is in Wagoner County, and is some distance away from the OP's city. The other three sites of the simulcast are in Tulsa County, and even farther away from the OP. I suspect that at that distance, he might not have an issue. There is also a specific site in Wagoner (21-15), and that is not a simulcast. The OP should have no trouble at all on that one.

I would definitely agree with you that, at some point, the Phase I (Mode D) talkgroups will transition to Phase II. How long in the future that might be, I have no idea. Someone in the Oklahoma forum might have more info, but in any event, I would lean toward a Phase II capable scanner if at all possible, even though it is not required just yet.

Since simulcast does not appear to be an issue (at least when dealing with OKWIN in his county, and using the site in Wagoner itself for the Broken Arrow system), the OP does have a number of options. Disregarding simulcast, the older, and now discontinued, Whistler database scanners (WS1080, -1088, -1095, & -1098) should work at his location, as would the newer TRX-1 or TRX-2, along with Uniden's HP-2, 325P2, & 996P2. Probably the least expensive would be a good condition, previously owned, Whistler database scanner (the discontinued models).

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Simulcast, it seems, is always a consideration. But for the OKWIN P25 system, the site in the OP's county (Wagoner) is at Coweta, and is not simulcast.

For the Broken Arrow Phase II system, Site 1 (Broken Arrow) is simulcast, but only one of the transmit sites is in Wagoner County, and is some distance away from the OP's city. The other three sites of the simulcast are in Tulsa County, and even farther away from the OP. I suspect that at that distance, he might not have an issue. There is also a specific site in Wagoner (21-15), and that is not a simulcast. The OP should have no trouble at all on that one.

I would definitely agree with you that, at some point, the Phase I (Mode D) talkgroups will transition to Phase II. How long in the future that might be, I have no idea. Someone in the Oklahoma forum might have more info, but in any event, I would lean toward a Phase II capable scanner if at all possible, even though it is not required just yet.

Since simulcast does not appear to be an issue (at least when dealing with OKWIN in his county, and using the site in Wagoner itself for the Broken Arrow system), the OP does have a number of options. Disregarding simulcast, the older, and now discontinued, Whistler database scanners (WS1080, -1088, -1095, & -1098) should work at his location, as would the newer TRX-1 or TRX-2, along with Uniden's HP-2, 325P2, & 996P2. Probably the least expensive would be a good condition, previously owned, Whistler database scanner (the discontinued models).
Yep as I said I only gave it a glancing view right before dinner LOL. If It was later in the evening I may have dissected it better. I think they probably will go all Phase 2. My initial gut feeling was it was somewhat of a charlie foxtrot for those who know that term LOL.

When my tdma Phase 2 system was introduced in 2015 with one site called simulcast and 26 Towers nothing worked except our apx gear. The x36 was marginal and the whistlers didn't work a lick oh, I realize this is a different system. That's why as you see I didn't make specific recommendations and only gave generalized advice.

As always I respect your analysis! You went the extra mile.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Simulcast is becoming more common over time because it reduces the number of frequencies that need to be licensed by a system operator. Getting a simulcast capable scanner is future proofing. And if you want to take a scanner with you when traveling, the odds of encountering simulcast on the road are pretty much 100%.

air-scan

Ok I haven't had a scanner in 30 yrs.. I live in rural Oklahoma and just want something to listen to what's going on around me. I used to understand that regular traffic was on certain channels/frequencies and then if something happened they switched to another channel/frequency.. I don't even know what those are anymore and I would like to purchase a scanner and seriously need advice. I believe our local law is using a trunk system.

there is a forum user @Freqed that has Broken Arrow as his profile location. Ask this person what scanner they use over there. I bet you wont be disappointed going for the scanner they recommend. I live in Oklahoma City to far but I do know OKWIN P25 is Phase I and Broken Arrow is Phase II. At least a Uniden BCT325P2 as a cost baseline to get into trunking. The Whistler TRX-1E is similar in cost to the Uniden SDS-100.

I use 2 RTL-SDR's with SDRTrunk for OKC's APCO P25 PII system. It's not portable.

It all depends on your budget and if you're wanting a portable or base/mobile and if you're listening to either LSM or C4FM P25 or mixed systems. All I can say is choose wisely. RTL-SDR is only $25 a piece software is free but confined to PC or Linux.

Synfulto

there is a forum user @Freqed that has Broken Arrow as his profile location. Ask this person what scanner they use over there. I bet you wont be disappointed going for the scanner they recommend. I live in Oklahoma City to far but I do know OKWIN P25 is Phase I and Broken Arrow is Phase II. At least a Uniden BCT325P2 as a cost baseline to get into trunking. The Whistler TRX-1E is similar in cost to the Uniden SDS-100.

I use 2 RTL-SDR's with SDRTrunk for OKC's APCO P25 PII system. It's not portable.

It all depends on your budget and if you're wanting a portable or base/mobile and if you're listening to either LSM or C4FM P25 or mixed systems. All I can say is choose wisely. RTL-SDR is only $25 a piece software is free but confined to PC or Linux.
It matters none to me base or portable. I don't plan on taking it anywhere. As far as software goes I'd rather take it to be programmed. I'm great with my phone but not so great on laptop.
And currently I'm not listening to anything and that's my big concern. I have custody of my grandkids and we live in the country with a major highway nearby and while I'm certainly not without several means of protection I'd feel much better knowing what's going on around me.
I will try and figure out how to contact the user you suggested and will definitely take what he's using into my final selection pile. I'll also be checking with y'all before I flip out my debit card.
Right now I'm looking at the Uniden BCD996P2. I've found a couple used ones for a reasonable price. However I'm not sure it's adequate. Most of the discriptions are still beyond my comprehension.
I can't express how much I appreciate y'all helping me because I hate making uninformed decisions and I readily admit I have basically zero knowledge of current scanners and y'all probably don't realize there is MASSIVE amounts of information on this site. Plus like I said the technical terms are greek to me. So it's read two sentences. Go look up meaning of 6 words. Read same two sentences again.. that makes for slow going.

Synfulto

And duh , that was way to easy. You included a link to the other user. Thank you. I sent him a message.

Synfulto

Ok I got lost right here.
But the one you recommended the Uniden BCD996P2 is the one I was looking at last night. I saw it used for a little over $300 and new for just under$400
It sounded like a fairly easy system for a beginner.
I sure as hell don't want anything like the security system I bought that has a quick start guide that's 72 pages long and took me a year to figure out how to operate!!
I looked at the sds100 and 200 and I'm not sure they are a good fit.
Part of Broken Arrow is in Wagoner county but I don't have any interest in it at this time. Coweta is of some interest but not a lot. Muskogee is closer and of some interest but not huge. My main interest is WCSO with some interest in WPD.
I basically stay home and mind my own but for some reason there seems to be police chases here on a regular basis and sirens have increasingly picked up in the last year. I'd like to know if other people's stupidly is going to involve us before it lands at my doorstep.

Synfulto

Bye once, cry once! Do yourself a favor. Get at least a 436/536 or a SDS100/200! You will regret not doing this!

The problem I'm seeing with the sds100 and sds200 is they have so many options and settings that there is a steep learning curve. I don't believe I need all of those options any time in the near future but I'm going to go look at the other two suggestions you've made. Thank you.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I do the KISS method. Use the zip code and distance method. Simple. Adjust as time goes. When I am ready, I will create a favorite list. Currently my SDS200 is set for 15 miles listening to all the services I selected. Simple.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok I got lost right here.
But the one you recommended the Uniden BCD996P2 is the one I was looking at last night. I saw it used for a little over $300 and new for just under$400
It sounded like a fairly easy system for a beginner.
I sure as hell don't want anything like the security system I bought that has a quick start guide that's 72 pages long and took me a year to figure out how to operate!!
I looked at the sds100 and 200 and I'm not sure they are a good fit.
Part of Broken Arrow is in Wagoner county but I don't have any interest in it at this time. Coweta is of some interest but not a lot. Muskogee is closer and of some interest but not huge. My main interest is WCSO with some interest in WPD.
I basically stay home and mind my own but for some reason there seems to be police chases here on a regular basis and sirens have increasingly picked up in the last year. I'd like to know if other people's stupidly is going to involve us before it lands at my doorstep.
I think you misunderstood my comments regarding Coweta and Broken Arrow.

You indicated that your interests were for Wagoner County Sheriff, as well as the PD for your town, Wagoner. Both of those are on Broken Arrows trunked system. You need to include the system in your programming, then you can only enter the talkgroups for Wagoner S.O. & the city PD. You don't have to program anything else in that system, other than the site that is in Wagoner itself.

As far as Coweta goes, I was pointing out that the OKWIN site, in your county, is at Coweta. Wagoner County Fire is on OKWIN, so if you want to include them, you need to program the site in Coweta. Again, that does not mean that you are forced to include any Coweta talkgroups, but you do need the site if you want to hear your County Fire units.

Status
Not open for further replies.