Owasso, OK - Deputies struggling to protect their lives and the public

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5TWB

A report on a minor TV station in the market by a "reporter" who has a degree where the ink isn't even dry yet. Put me down in the "underwhelmed" category for the lack of cogent facts or even a hint at what the specific problem is with the malfunctioning equipment. It doesn't even say what's being replaced.

Guess I'll have to e-mail a co-worker that is a reserve deputy over there to get some details.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Who's spell checking their articles that go on the internet?:)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
After watching the video, I learned something I never new before from the excellent reporting by the young lady. Higher frequency RF go further than lower frequency RF. WOW! :roll:

No wonder everyone wants 800 MHz radios instead of 150 MHz radios, they go further. :confused:

N5TWB

My Rogers County contact referred me to one of his buddies and he doesn't have a clue why the RCSO primary channel appeared to go down but got better in the last two or three days. I'm too far away to monitor them on a regular basis so I was hoping an insider might have details. Alas, 'twas not to be...

N5TWB

After watching the video, I learned something I never new before from the excellent reporting by the young lady. Higher frequency RF go further than lower frequency RF. WOW! :roll:

No wonder everyone wants 800 MHz radios instead of 150 MHz radios, they go further. :confused:

Bless her heart...I know her parents have got to be so proud they paid all that money for college....

snig64

How many parts are actually ten years old? The repeater, duplexors, antenna, feed line? I know systems running 20 year old duplexors, feed line and antenna; and everything works just fine, they have just replaced the repeater.

$9,000 should sufficiently replace a VHF non-trunked repeater. If they paid $9,000 and didn't get a new repeate with duplexors, they got screwed.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Those are MASTR III repeaters or bases, they don't break, and if they need to replace one it shouldn't cost more than 9K for a complete station. (BTW maybe I'll call them and see if they want some of our old MASTR III'S we are replacing LOL) We just ordered 200 of the newer ones, and paid a lot less than 9K. I also just read an article in WSJ about Motorola and payola in the EU, maybe someone should investigate whoever is maintaining this departments system.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Houston Texas UHF Radio System

How many parts are actually ten years old? The repeater, duplexors, antenna, feed line? I know systems running 20 year old duplexors, feed line and antenna; and everything works just fine, they have just replaced the repeater.

$9,000 should sufficiently replace a VHF non-trunked repeater. If they paid $9,000 and didn't get a new repeate with duplexors, they got screwed.

I started monitoring the Houston PD frequencies during 1984. Although I don't know much about their current radio equipment, I do know many officers are still using UHF rather than digital or trunking radios. Judging from the number of offenders I encountered in TDCJ, I would say they are pretty effective in dealing with crooks.

Hopefully, this Oklahoma agency will get their radio system working better. But, I cannot be as optimistic for that television station. Ha.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

snig64 said:

$9000 will buy a few cheap icom repeaters. It won't get you a high end repeater like a Daniels repeater. Never mind Dupexer ect. There should be no problem reusing a set of cans, after checking the tuning ect.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
You must be paying list price, new narow band compatable conventional 110w VHF Masrt III stations are less than 8K on state bid. Icoms are a lot less, on the order of about $1,500.00 for 50watter, duplexers are less than1k unless you are operating at 600khz spacing, then they run a bit more.

snig64

Well for $14,000 we got an MTR2000, duplexors with .4 split, 400ft 7/8, DB228, and a 500 watt amp. It can only be hit by lightning so many times before even the best lightning protection gives in.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Plea for Help

Not much info there, what kind of system, what is the specific problem, or is this just a jab at the local government to buy the Sheriff a new radio system? Seems like the latter to me.

I would agree. I believe this was a "cry for help" for a new system. In this day and age, when many expenditures are being scrutinized under a microscope for government agencies, I can understand why these tactics would be needed. Perhaps, a wealthy donor will come forth and save the day.

UTLNOK

Premium Subscriber
What dose one department do with it's equipment when they upgrade, why isn't it (the equipment) put into a "pool", and donated or sold to other agencies who may not have money for repairs \ upgrades?...or is it?

kd8ati

Feed Provider
.....just remember, we had law enforcement officers long before we had radios.

LOL. We had fire department bucket brigades before we had the fire engine too. That does not mean that it is the best or most efficient way to operate.

KOK5CY

RCSO should just apply for a homeland security grant to purchase new radio's and tower's ...That's how all the other dept's are doing it . IMPO Vhf High will alway's be better that that crap 800 trunk ...Vhf ( more power , more distance )

iamhere300

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

$9000 will buy a few cheap icom repeaters. It won't get you a high end repeater like a Daniels repeater. Never mind Dupexer ect. There should be no problem reusing a set of cans, after checking the tuning ect.

Oh please. 9k will buy 100 watt Motorola, Tait, Eclipse (You can always change that label to read Daniels) and just about anyone elses 100 watt analog repeater, with the duplexer.

At list price!

Status
Not open for further replies.