Owners of BC SC100 Please Verify

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb1965

Premium Subscriber
First of All, I am needing User Feed Back on whether I should purchase A Bear Cat SC100 after Reading This Review on Amazon that I am Including in My Post Seeking Feedback from Actual BC SC100 Owners before I buy.

Cut & Pasted from Amazon

December 4, 2018
Style: Single
Reading some of these interviews I saw a lot of fanboy BS, so I wanted to share my review. I bought this scanner in June with high hopes, and returned it within two weeks, so let me tell you why. First off, I've been involved in scanning for about 40 years, and have owned pretty much every digital scanner made, and many analog scanners, along with the Unication G4, just for background. I had the SDS100 programmed quickly using my well-vetted 436 program, and immediately noticed that the scanner failed to go from control channel to voice channel about half the time on the simulcast that carries Phoenix PD. The 436 and Unication G4 sitting right next to it has no issues. At home, in Glendale Arizona, it couldn't pick up Glendale PD (same as 436 and other scanners). The range at which it could lock onto a control channel whether stationary or driving was pretty bad. It was lucky to properly pick up the simulcast it was sitting within, much less pick up any simulcast farther away. UHF performance was so-so, with odd noises making it through that I have never heard after monitoring the same system for years (AZ DPS). Airband and VHF were so-so, with no improvement over any other scanner. For reference, my Unication G4 can lock onto simulcast systems from much, MUCH farther away. I met with a Uniden beta tester, and other new owners, and was able to confirm the same results with their SDS100 scanners put up against the 436 and Unication, and even older units like the PSR-500. Again, I want to emphasize that I didn't just "get a bad one", I saw the same behavior with three other SDS100 scanners owned by other people in the Phoenix area, including the Uniden Beta tester.

Bottom line on 700 MHz reception is that it's weak, and prone to having problems with interference. VHF and UHF are OK, but no better than previous models. Reception on the MCSO 800 MHz system completely sucked and was a lost cause, and I verified this with other owners, in person, against known equipment. You will hear people tell you that firmware will eventually fix everything, but that's nonsense. A bad receiver with cheap components is just that, a bad receiver with cheap components...firmware can't and won't ever fix that. Yes it has all the bells and whistles, pretty colors, waterproof (as if the average scanner user really needs that feature), tons of options and menu settings, etc. Unfortunately it fails as a radio receiver, and that's what I care about most, not the window dressing.

The amount of heat generated by this unit is simply absurd. There is no way that the processor on this unit has anywhere near the power of a new high-end cell phone, and the screen is nowhere near the resolution of a new high-end cell phone screen, yet the heat given off, in a much larger device than a cell phone, is ridiculous. It's simply inexcusable, as there is no reason this should be the case. I got the original small battery and only got a few hours of use, before needing to charge it again for many hours. The charge time vs. usage time was ridiculously bad. Of course now Uniden has released a GIGANTIC battery for this unit that is WAY out of proportion size-wise and looks absolutely ridiculous. That was their "solution". I can just imagine charging that huge beast for a full day before getting 5-6 hours use out of it. No thanks.

Fanboys (like most of the reviewers here) will tell you this thing is the best thing since sliced bread, and how firmware has fixed all of the early issues, but it hasn't, as recently verified by testing the SDS100s belonging to people I know.

If you care about non-simulcast, get something else. If you care about simulcast, get a Unication G4 or G5, just understand the programming limitations before buying.

Oh, and unlike others, I have video documentation of my testing. Just look for "SDS100 Phoenix Review" on Google or Youtube, and my youtube channel has multiple videos illustrating the problems. No my videos are NOT monetized, they were made purely to inform others of what I observed. There is no music, no talking, no funny graphics, just head to head testing. See for yourself. Yes I worked with the Uniden tech guy on Radio Reference trying different things, and no it didn't help. Again, I've tested multiple units in the last month and firmware did NOT fix the issues, so if you are a Uniden person getting ready to reply by going down that road, save your breath.

Will these problems occur in other geographic areas outside of Phoenix? I don't know. Some swear that they have had good luck with the SDS100, but I've seen too much first hand evidence to the contrary to ever recommend it.

Can Actual BC SC100 Owners please tell me if you notice any of what this user is experiencing please before I spend my money on a Scanner I may regret?

Thank you,
Stephen Bried

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

Joking aside, why pick the one review claiming it's junk and don't trust the fan boys? The come to the fan boy den and ask the same question?

Look on eBay, are SDS100/200 flooding the used market? Nope, they aren't.

If you want the most versatile scanner available this is it.

If you want 7 year old tech get a 436/536. If you want even older tech go with a Whistler.

If you know what you want to scan. Tell us what that is, maybe the SDS is too much scanner for you.

The SDS has a learning curve, it takes time and effort to master it. You can enter your zip code and let the scanner do the work, but you will be cheating yourself.

Read these forums, you'll see there are some warts.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of people who like the bells and whistles, like the pretty colors and all the noises this scanner does. I bought the sds100 because I wanted a up to date scanner that would work on all the digital systems in my area.

First it was a real let down to buy a scanner in Canada that cost over $1000.00 dollars and then have to buy the digital up-grades so I could listen to the systems in my are, YES nobody twisted my arm to buy the sds100. Over $1,200. 00 dollars all toll.

Then after buying the scanner I find out that Conventional Discovery does not work as advertised, I am one of the old scanner geeks who have over 40 years spent hours after hours searching for new scanner frequencies so the conventional discovery was a real heart breaker to find out it does not work.

I took the scanner on the road and was recording several digital systems and had ID SEARCH on and the recoding on, the battery lasted 7 1/2 hours and then I had to shut off the scanner, I did not have anywhere to plug the scanner in to re-charge the batteries when you out of town. So I had to buy another battery and charger so I can have two batteries to work with. Charger and battery another $165.00 dollars, to bad you can't put a few AA batteries in in a emergency.

What I was really not impressed with was the heat that the scanner was experiencing, the scanner was so hot I could feel it inside my parka were I live it's winter and I had my winter parka on with the scanner in the inside pocket. The scanner gets so hot it's uncomfortable to hold it in your hand, I have never had a scanner that the electronics get so hot. Electronics and heat don't mix. Also have noticed the scanner shows wrong color codes from time to. Talk about a huge scanner that you have to carry around.

I think Uniden was listening to all the people who just love pretty colors and noises and other bells and whistles and forgot about the most important bell and whistler just make a scanner that scan and searches and be able to do searching and pick up the digital systems is that to much to ask for.

I'M not to impressed with these so called BATA tester when they can not find the problems that I and others have pointed out and Uniden releases the scanner to the public, they don't even have the professionalism to let people know that they are looking into these issues.
Steve

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think Uniden was listening to all the people who just love pretty colors and noises and other bells and whistles and forgot about the most important bell and whistler just make a scanner that scan and searches and be able to do searching and pick up the digital systems is that to much to ask for.

I'M not to impressed with these so called BATA tester when they can not find the problems that I and others have pointed out and Uniden releases the scanner to the public, they don't even have the professionalism to let people know that they are looking into these issues.
Steve

This sums it up!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
First of All, I am needing User Feed Back on whether I should purchase A Bear Cat SC100 after Reading This Review on Amazon that I am Including in My Post Seeking Feedback from Actual BC SC100 Owners before I buy.

Cut & Pasted from Amazon

December 4, 2018
Reading some of these interviews I saw a lot of fanboy BS, so I wanted to share my review. I bought this scanner in June with high hopes, and returned it within two weeks, so let me tell you why. First off, I've been involved in scanning for about 40 years, and have owned pretty much every digital scanner made, and many analog scanners, along with the Unication G4, just for background.

I notice that this "negative review" is not tagged as "Verified Purchaser', but the ones that are tagged (currently showing on the page) are positive. Whether this reviewer actually purchased from Amazon, but perhaps used a different Reviewer name which did not pick up the purchase, or maybe bought elsewhere (or not at all) I would not know. As of the time I posted this, there were 71 reviews accounted for an Amazon. 79% are 5 star, 6% 4 star, 2% each for 2 & 3 star, and 10% 1 star. I have no idea how many have been sold thru Amazon, but I suspect that that number does not include all purchasers. It certainly would not make a dent in the purchases from the normal dealer channels, such as ScannerMaster & Bearcat Warehouse, among others.

Based on comments over quite a long period, I think that it's obvious that the Phoenix area is one of the most problematic for any scanner. A number of users in the Phoenix area have posted on the scanner, and it appears most are satisfied. This model has had a few rough spots along the way. But most issues seem to be getting solved by corrected programming and the use of Filters, which were added via a firmware update. If you buy one, and expect it to be 100% perfect, with no input on programming and setting the filters, you may be disappointed. But quite a few of the 'complainers' have solved any issues using the tools available to them (filters and programming), as well as suggestions on the forums. Did this reviewer simply get a "lemon"? There have been a few, if anyone has been keeping score. But that's the case with most any manufactured product, whether it be a scanner, an HD TV, automobile, or anything else. We all want the one we get to be perfect, but that can't be guaranteed.

I'm in a dense RF metro area, DFW. I have not seen the issues that some complain of. I'm not doubting that there are some, only that I have not had issues The issue that the performance on Vhf & airband is not stellar has been mentioned before. But with a decent antenna, there does not seem to be chronic problems on Uhf. Many users have come to the conclusion that the SDS series is optimized for best performance on 700 and 800MHz trunked systems. I have not seen a raft of complaints about poor 700MHz system reception.

While YMMV, I'm satisfied with my SDS100 & -200.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I remember reading a thread started by the guy who posted that review a few weeks after the SDS100 came out. He's a bit of a crank, and his version of events differed from that of the others who tried to help him. He had some issues, but was unwilling to take some basic steps to resolve those issues, like moving the scanner to the other side of the room to get away from RFI from his computers. And some of the stuff he says in the review is false, like the claim that it takes longer for the battery to charge than the scanner will run on the battery. If you use a good USB cable and port, charging takes less time than the scanner will run on the battery--about 8 hours, not 5-6. He got rid of his SDS100 before the larger battery became available.

The SDS models are slightly more prone to adjacent-channel interference than the x36 models because of their design, but in most cases, using IFX or the internal filter settings will reduce or eliminate the issue.

If the systems in your area are simulcast, the SDS100 or SDS200 (the base/mobile model) are the best choice. Unication pagers have somewhat better receivers, but they are limited in the frequency ranges they can receive, can only monitor one system at a time, and have other limitations that make them unsuitable for general scanning. They are designed to monitor one system, and do that very well.

I have the 436, 536, SDS100, and SDS200. The 436 and 536 are great scanners for everything but simulcast, and the SDS100 and SDS200 do very well receiving simulcast. If the systems in your area are simulcast, or you plan to travel with your scanner, a SDS unit would probably be a better choice, although more expensive. If there are no simulcast systems in your area, or anywhere you plan to travel, than one of the x36 models would be a solid choice.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

Cut & Pasted from Amazon

December 4, 2018
Reading some of these interviews I saw a lot of fanboy BS, so I wanted to share my review. I bought this scanner in June with high hopes, and returned it within two weeks, so let me tell you why. First off, I've been involved in scanning for about 40 years, and have owned pretty much every digital scanner made, and many analog scanners, along with the Unication G4, just for background. I had the SDS100 programmed quickly using my well-vetted 436 program, and immediately noticed that the scanner failed to go from control channel to voice channel about half the time on the simulcast that carries Phoenix PD. The 436 and Unication G4 sitting right next to it has no issues. At home, in Glendale Arizona, it couldn't pick up Glendale PD (same as 436 and other scanners). The range at which it could lock onto a control channel whether stationary or driving was pretty bad. It was lucky to properly pick up the simulcast it was sitting within, much less pick up any simulcast farther away. UHF performance was so-so, with odd noises making it through that I have never heard after monitoring the same system for years (AZ DPS). Airband and VHF were so-so, with no improvement over any other scanner. For reference, my Unication G4 can lock onto simulcast systems from much, MUCH farther away. I met with a Uniden beta tester, and other new owners, and was able to confirm the same results with their SDS100 scanners put up against the 436 and Unication, and even older units like the PSR-500. Again, I want to emphasize that I didn't just "get a bad one", I saw the same behavior with three other SDS100 scanners owned by other people in the Phoenix area, including the Uniden Beta tester.

Bottom line on 700 MHz reception is that it's weak, and prone to having problems with interference. VHF and UHF are OK, but no better than previous models. Reception on the MCSO 800 MHz system completely sucked and was a lost cause, and I verified this with other owners, in person, against known equipment. You will hear people tell you that firmware will eventually fix everything, but that's nonsense. A bad receiver with cheap components is just that, a bad receiver with cheap components...firmware can't and won't ever fix that. Yes it has all the bells and whistles, pretty colors, waterproof (as if the average scanner user really needs that feature), tons of options and menu settings, etc. Unfortunately it fails as a radio receiver, and that's what I care about most, not the window dressing.

The amount of heat generated by this unit is simply absurd. There is no way that the processor on this unit has anywhere near the power of a new high-end cell phone, and the screen is nowhere near the resolution of a new high-end cell phone screen, yet the heat given off, in a much larger device than a cell phone, is ridiculous. It's simply inexcusable, as there is no reason this should be the case. I got the original small battery and only got a few hours of use, before needing to charge it again for many hours. The charge time vs. usage time was ridiculously bad. Of course now Uniden has released a GIGANTIC battery for this unit that is WAY out of proportion size-wise and looks absolutely ridiculous. That was their "solution". I can just imagine charging that huge beast for a full day before getting 5-6 hours use out of it. No thanks.

Fanboys (like most of the reviewers here) will tell you this thing is the best thing since sliced bread, and how firmware has fixed all of the early issues, but it hasn't, as recently verified by testing the SDS100s belonging to people I know.

If you care about non-simulcast, get something else. If you care about simulcast, get a Unication G4 or G5, just understand the programming limitations before buying.

Oh, and unlike others, I have video documentation of my testing. Just look for "SDS100 Phoenix Review" on Google or Youtube, and my youtube channel has multiple videos illustrating the problems. No my videos are NOT monetized, they were made purely to inform others of what I observed. There is no music, no talking, no funny graphics, just head to head testing. See for yourself. Yes I worked with the Uniden tech guy on Radio Reference trying different things, and no it didn't help. Again, I've tested multiple units in the last month and firmware did NOT fix the issues, so if you are a Uniden person getting ready to reply by going down that road, save your breath.

Will these problems occur in other geographic areas outside of Phoenix? I don't know. Some swear that they have had good luck with the SDS100, but I've seen too much first hand evidence to the contrary to ever recommend it.

Can Actual BC SC100 Owners please tell me if you notice any of what this user is experiencing please before I spend my money on a Scanner I may regret?

Thank you,
Stephen Bried
If you live in an area that has simulcast systems, especially in the 700/800 band, then this radio was designed specifically for your situation. I own an SDS 100 and an SDS200, and both are fantastic radios. I recommend that you buy one and test it out for yourself on the systems that you monitor (assuming it's the system for New Hamilton County, which is simulcast, or the NC Viper system, which is mixed mode P25.) Make sure to buy from a dealer that accepts returns with no restocking fee (i.e. Walmart and Amazon - just make sure they are actually sold by Walmart or Amazon and not third party sellers,) and you WILL need a Windows computer to update and program it. If it does not work satisfactorily for you, simply return it. Above all, don't be a bitter hater. Some people are unreasonable and like to express it in reviews - which really doesn't help anyone.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It is not Uniden's fault that the Canadian dollar is with about $0.75 American dollars. Take your complaints about that to your government.
As to not having a way to charge your SDS100, it uses a simple USB charger and cable. Uniden includes one in the box, and you can find 12 volt chargers that will work for about $10.00 USD almost anywhere.

I've been using my SDS100 in my house since I got it on Tuesday. It gets warm, but it doesn't get "hot" by and definition you use.

About the only issue I have with either of my SDS scanners is that analog audio is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes with a strong signal the audio is scratchy, sometimes with a weak signal it's clear. I haven't played with filtering enough to figure out if that's the issue, but it's not bad enough for me to hate the scanner.

The digital reception and audio are excellent on P25, DMR, and NXDN. If I bought the Pro Voice upgrade, I expect that it would be fine there as well.

There are a lot of people who like the bells and whistles, like the pretty colors and all the noises this scanner does. I bought the sds100 because I wanted a up to date scanner that would work on all the digital systems in my area.

First it was a real let down to buy a scanner in Canada that cost over $1000.00 dollars and then have to buy the digital up-grades so I could listen to the systems in my are, YES nobody twisted my arm to buy the sds100. Over $1,200. 00 dollars all toll.

Then after buying the scanner I find out that Conventional Discovery does not work as advertised, I am one of the old scanner geeks who have over 40 years spent hours after hours searching for new scanner frequencies so the conventional discovery was a real heart breaker to find out it does not work.

I took the scanner on the road and was recording several digital systems and had ID SEARCH on and the recoding on, the battery lasted 7 1/2 hours and then I had to shut off the scanner, I did not have anywhere to plug the scanner in to re-charge the batteries when you out of town. So I had to buy another battery and charger so I can have two batteries to work with. Charger and battery another $165.00 dollars, to bad you can't put a few AA batteries in in a emergency.

What I was really not impressed with was the heat that the scanner was experiencing, the scanner was so hot I could feel it inside my parka were I live it's winter and I had my winter parka on with the scanner in the inside pocket. The scanner gets so hot it's uncomfortable to hold it in your hand, I have never had a scanner that the electronics get so hot. Electronics and heat don't mix. Also have noticed the scanner shows wrong color codes from time to. Talk about a huge scanner that you have to carry around.

Steve

vikingegfd

Premium Subscriber
to put it simply, after I bought a sds-100, I got so disgusted that I bought a 325p2, have not regretted the decision.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
to put it simply, after I bought a sds-100, I got so disgusted that I bought a 325p2, have not regretted the decision.
You need to quantify your opinion, otherwise it is meaningless. I owned a 996P2 - essentially the mobile version of the 325p2 - but it performed poorly (garbled or missed transmissions) on the new Maryland FIRST 700 Mhz simulcast system in my area. However, the SDS 100 and SDS 200 perform flawlessly on the same system (as well as my G5.)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And the changes made to the speaker were directly made from the complaints here about the X36's sounding muddy or to much bass. So a change was made and they went too far and did not make everybody happy.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber

Steve

The heat issue isn't a defect it's a feature.... It doubles as a hand warmer for all of you users up in the northern US and Canada during those cold winter's. LOL

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 is a complicated piece of equipment and, for that reason, many people are giving it bad reviews because they haven't taken advantage of its full capabilities. Yes, it's quite a learning curve. I'm still learning and, yes, there are still things I don't understand. My inabilities don't make it a bad scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.