Owners of the SDS200 RJ45 Jack question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
I just purchased the SDS200 and is about a week to be delivered. I looked at the PDF manual and did not see what the RJ45 ethernet jack was for.
I will have the scanner in the basement and I am usually in the livingroom.
What all can this RJ45 Ethernet jack be useful for?
I am assuming it is for the Sentenal software so I can do what ever from the laptop upstairs to the scanner downstairs right since it is connected to the network?
I wish I could broadcast my feed to Radio Reference through these scanners rather then from the computer software, but I imagine scannercast is still needed on the computer with the SDS200 to broadcast.
I hear my issues in Cleveland on police radio being Simulcast will fix the breaking up dispatch calls and garbled audio I have been getting lately

1 other thing, is there such a thing of an external speaker and bluetooth from the scanner to the livingroom or do I still need a cord?
I am almost straight above the scanner. I would like to cut the cord to the speaker if someone has successfully done this.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The network jack is not used by Sentinel for anything. Sentinel only uses the USB port.

The network port on the SDS200 does exactly the same things as the Wi-Fi on the 536--it streams scanner audio digitally and allows remote control of the scanner. The scanners only support one client at a time, so you'll need ProScan or whatever to feed multiple clients. If you have ProScan in your living room, you can use the computer speakers to listen rather than running a long speaker cable.

ron351

Feed Provider
The network jack is not used by Sentinel for anything. Sentinel only uses the USB port.

The network port on the SDS200 does exactly the same things as the Wi-Fi on the 536--it streams scanner audio digitally and allows remote control of the scanner. The scanners only support one client at a time, so you'll need ProScan or whatever to feed multiple clients. If you have ProScan in your living room, you can use the computer speakers to listen rather than running a long speaker cable.
Copy that. It seems I may better off with ProScan then the scannercast I currently use. I think I tried ProScan before and seemed confusing but will look at it again. Thanks for some insight on this before the SDS200 arrives

ron351

Feed Provider
With PROSCAN on a WINDOWS 10 inch Tablet you have a nice display with full control of your SDS200 just like sitting at the scanner.
I may look into the tablet. I currently have a Dell XPS laptop I7 processor running windows7

ron351

Feed Provider
That would work just as well
Ok good. I use the dell laptop all the time. When I install the SDS200 I also ordered these
RG-8 low-loss dielectric coaxial cable with PL259 ends
PL259 UHF female connector to a BNC male connector to connect to the BNC connection on the scanner.
From your experience I am guessing I connect the RG-8 direct to antenna and scanner and nothing else should be needed for DB loss or gain? Or attenuation?

ron351

Feed Provider
Not sure what antenna you have some have N-FEMALE some UHF-FEMALE and some F-FEMALE.
I believe the Tram Discone has the female end where the PL259 end will screw right on. I have an adapter on it now to convert it to coax. At the scanner I have a adapter from coax to BNC that twists on the male BNC on the back of the scanner

ron351

Feed Provider
I asked this in the Scanner Programming area and copyin it here to hopefully get your suggestions
I stopped the scannercast software to broadcast to my feed online.
Bought a key for $50 to use Pro Scan
Every thing is fine but for the life of me using the Ethernet cable only connected to the SDS200 scanner I can not get broadcastify to start due to audio.
If I go to "Source Client" to start broadcast it pops up a window saying
"Set the Input Sound Device to a Valid input source located in the audio control tab"
I have tried everything, what is it I might be missing so I can get my feed up and running.

With the Ethernet cable connected and in the audio control tab I selected URL
It connects and the green line shows wave form so it is hearing audio but not sending to be able to connect to broadcastify due to the above message.
I am so lost, I need to get my feed back up

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I asked this in the Scanner Programming area and copyin it here to hopefully get your suggestions
I stopped the scannercast software to broadcast to my feed online.
Bought a key for $50 to use Pro Scan
Every thing is fine but for the life of me using the Ethernet cable only connected to the SDS200 scanner I can not get broadcastify to start due to audio.
If I go to "Source Client" to start broadcast it pops up a window saying
"Set the Input Sound Device to a Valid input source located in the audio control tab"
I have tried everything, what is it I might be missing so I can get my feed up and running.

With the Ethernet cable connected and in the audio control tab I selected URL
It connects and the green line shows wave form so it is hearing audio but not sending to be able to connect to broadcastify due to the above message.
I am so lost, I need to get my feed back up

You may have selected the wrong sub-tab in the Audio Control tab. Go back to the Audio Control tab then select the Source Client tab. Insure that the Input Sound Device is set to URL. If it is already then set it to None then back to URL.

ron351

Feed Provider
I will look, tried so many ways my head is spinning to get the audio to work through the ethernet cable and be able to get my feed back on line through broadcastify. Will go over it again what you suggested

ron351

Feed Provider
Did the set to none then back to URL and same thing. It shows green line like audio is going but something is missing, tried every way I seen to try83965

ron351

Feed Provider
Client tab has no place to set it to URL. Is it because I am selecting Broadcastify for the server type?83968

ron351

Feed Provider
Ok went to the audio control tab, set it back to none. Then set it to URL again. Then went to source client tab but in the source client tab there is nothing I see to set URL in the source client tab

Status
Not open for further replies.