Oxford Ohio Police and fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to monitor Oxford Ohio city police and fire. I live near Liberty, In. The only tower I see in butler county is in Hamilton. I seem to be outside the transmit ring. Any help with how to monitor them. I have a Unidenbcd536hp with a external 800mhz omni directional antenna about 35 feet in the air

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Butler County is a simulcast system within MARCS. There are 14 tower sites within Butler County. The closest tower to you is in College Corner, which is fairly close.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
will my scanner not pick them up for some reason. I also looked on radio reference and the only tower it shows is in hamilton. What can i do to hear them. I have all of the freq and talk groups programed and i included the hamilton ohio site
Thanks for your reply

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
The map you are seeing in the database is an overall coverage map 'geographically centered' on the entire county. It is not necessarily a tower site. If you wish to see individual tower sites, click on the various FCC callsigns listed on the Butler County MARCS database listing.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
From you description it sounds as if it could be an error somewhere in programming. For that scanner make sure your service tags are active.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
The map you are seeing in the database is an overall coverage map 'geographically centered' on the entire county. It is not necessarily a tower site. If you wish to see individual tower sites, click on the various FCC callsigns listed on the Butler County MARCS database listing.
I am sorry but I am not finding this map that you are talking about.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Go to Ohio MARCS-IP in the database. Scroll down the sites until you come to Butler County. Click on "Butler County", it will take you to the Butler County Site Details page. The map is on the right. From there you can scroll to find other information such as the FCC callsigns I mentioned earlier and the current frequencies, of which you only need the control channel (red) to monitor.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
Go to Ohio MARCS-IP in the database. Scroll down the sites until you come to Butler County. Click on "Butler County", it will take you to the Butler County Site Details page. The map is on the right. From there you can scroll to find other information such as the FCC callsigns I mentioned earlier and the current frequencies, of which you only need the control channel (red) to monitor.
Well i saw fcc call signs but clicked on them and just took me to a blank page. Thanks for your help anyway. I will keep trying to figure out the problem. Maybe Oxford dose more with CAD than radio

phask

Premium Subscriber
Well i saw fcc call signs but clicked on them and just took me to a blank page. Thanks for your help anyway. I will keep trying to figure out the problem. Maybe Oxford dose more with CAD than radio

Currently - if you click on the callsigns, it does not work. Probably an issue with FCC lookups.

keithbias1

Premium Subscriber
How do you tell they are encrypted. Since programinig Butler County last night I have heard traffic from almost all departments except Oxford PD. Seems strange

maus92

Premium Subscriber
How do you tell they are encrypted. Since programinig Butler County last night I have heard traffic from almost all departments except Oxford PD. Seems strange
In the RRDB, the main MARCS site has a section for Butler County. In the Law tgs section, the Mode column shows many agency tgs as "DE," which translates to Digital Encrypted. "D" would mean Digital, but not encrypted. I don't see a tgs assigned for Oxford Police per se, which suggests that either they are dispatched by another agency (perhaps the county) or they are using an encrypted tg that nobody has identified or submitted to the RRDB. I don't have the local knowledge beyond what is published in the RRDB.

EDIT:

918023dcD09-9 ECHOCounty Dispatch ECHO (Oxford PD/Oxford Twp PD)Law Dispatch

md33

Keith,

The above information for programming regarding Butler Simulcast Site is correct but I wanted to provide some operational context to help you listen to Oxford area police and fire traffic.

Butler County Communications Center (9COM) uses four primary law dispatch talkgroups on the BRICS trunked system: 9179 - 09 ZULU, 9180 - 09 ECHO, 9170 - 09 TANGO, and 9079 - 09 DELTA. They use two primary fire talkgroups: 9139 - 09 ALPHA and 9130 - 09 BRAVO. All primary dispatch talkgroups on the BRICS system are clear (not encrypted)., Please note that I am doing this from memory so the HECs may not be accurate because of reassignments after the closure of Hamilton and Oxford dispatch centers.

BRICS has changed talkgroup assignments several times over the years to better distribute the workload for 9COM. Under the current plan, both Oxford City and Oxford Township police are assigned to DELTA. DELTA is usually patched with ZULU, which is the Sheriff's Office and smaller townships and villages, but is separated during busy times in Oxford. I have heard of folks listening to OPD on ZULU (via the patch with DELTA) and then not hearing them because they don't actually have DELTA programmed in. Oxford was assigned to ZULU in a previous programming configuration which has caused some of this confusion.

9COM fire setup is somewhat simpler. ALPHA is westside agencies, including Oxford and College Corner, and BRAVO is eastside agencies, including Hamilton. These two are almost always patched but can separate in cases such as extreme weather that causes many minor runs. These talkgroups handle status changes of units only as fireground operations occur on a common FIRE talkgroup. Initial fire dispatching can be heard on 9149 - 09 FD DISP which has no field unit talkback.

So a long explanation to basically tell you to make sure you are listening to DELTA and ALPHA and you will hear Oxford area police and fire traffic. I would also listen to FD DISP as well as the LAW, FIRE and TAC talkgroups as Oxford uses these regularly, especially for incidents involving Miami University PD.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.