BCD436HP/BCD536HP: P-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasMale

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to listen to Polk County Texas, I know that everybody says P-25 is a P-25 system no matter who makes it. Polk Couty Texas is a ICOM P-25 system and they are garbled, I can program a motorola P-25 system and everything is fine. What do I need to do to be able to monitor a Icom P-25 system with my BCD436HP ???

Thanks Much

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you are having simulcast issues. It doesn't matter if they are ICOM or Motorola.

Can you mess with the decode in the settings?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Please save a recording of the garbled audio and upload it as an attachment so people can hear what it sounds like - that will go a long way to getting your problem sorted out.

TexasMale

Premium Subscriber
I don't think its a Simulcast problem, Texas DPS can get on the same freq. as Polk County SO and they are as clear as can be its something with the ICOM's

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm...P25 is P25 no matter what the make of radio. A very precise digital format when properly setup. Early P25 could be garbled on a scanner if not setup properly, but of course perfectly copyable by a radio in the system. When you hear a DPS unit are they talking to Polk Co?
Enryption is possible...is it possible to understand any of the transmission. The Polk Co folks don't have to tell us if they go encrypted.

Is it possible to dig deep into the scanner and see if there are settings, such as decode mentioned above to tweak your scanner to the ICOM system???

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Are they encrypted?

TexasMale

Premium Subscriber
When the Texas DPS talk they are clear as a bell and they are talking to Polk county Dispatch, The dispatch and cars of Polk County sound really bad. Texas DPS can talk car to car with Polk County SO and DPS is still clear. Polk County radios sound like the person has a mouth full of marbles or some type of speech impediment. I will try to record and post the recording so that you can hear what it sounds like. What I cant figure out is why the P-25 Motorola Texas DPS is so clear when they are talking car to car with Polk County SO and Polk County is so muffled, The Texas DPS officer doesn't have any trouble with hearing and understanding them. If the Icom P-25 is different in any way the Motorola of the DPS doesn't have trouble.

KevinC

Super Moderator
I"ll be in the area this weekend and will give a listen.

KevinC

Super Moderator
I'll be honest, I thought you were full of crap, but you're correct. The dispatcher wasn't too bad, but most of the units I heard just plain sounded like crap. Not like they were weak into the repeater, just bad audio. One unit (836) sounded good, so it doesn't appear to be the repeater itself. It's either improper mic etiquette or differences in radio FW is my guess.

You aren't doing anything wrong, it just is what it is.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You should try listening to the WMATA P25 system in DC. Some of the Metro train radios are really tinny and distorted to the point of indecipherability.

Status
Not open for further replies.