P25 2 for any fleetnet or no

Status
Not open for further replies.

shores

Hi
Looking to replace older bct8 with digital trunking for fleetnet
Any reason for getting phase 2 capability if opp. mto and moh are my primary listening in the next few years?
Liked the home patrol but scared offf but complaints of new versions
996xt my best bet for next few years still?

Thanks

shores

anyone else?
yay? nay?
if they go encrypted entirely when moving to phase II we're SOL anyways i guess...
is a 996xt, or a whistler better overall for ease of programming and travelling with fleetnet?

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
If you are traveling a lot and going fair distances the Uniden with GPS location based scanning is brilliant for turning on/off systems so you only hear what is actually close enough to hear.

They both have a certain level of complexity re programming and the debate will never end which is harder, depends on which you are a fan of. The memory system is totally different between them.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
anyone else?
yay? nay?
if they go encrypted entirely when moving to phase II we're SOL anyways i guess...
is a 996xt, or a whistler better overall for ease of programming and travelling with fleetnet?

Even if they switch in 2017 you have at least 3 years of listening to the OPP. I like to think that I have a good memory, you live up in or near the Bruce Pen? I haven't been up there in 6 years but there was a great deal of activity on the Durham tower and enough on the Owen Sound and Wiarton talkgroups. Same went for Kimberley and Kincardine.

Am I correct that you live up that way?

I would love to have either a 996 or 396XT these days. You can't go wrong with either of those. I currently own a PSR600 and Home Patrol and a few other radios. Both do a real good job scanning fleetnet and the P25 Halton system here.

The Home Patrol's volume between analaog and P25 Digital has been improved with various firmware improvements. The PSR600, less so but it sounds better than the Home Patrol on P25 systems.

The 396T I used to own did a good job in my area, I am surrounded by numerous cell antennas and towers, the PSR600 gets overloaded by this, my Home Patrol does not have this problem.

The newer 436/536 scanners look good also. Don't take this as a comment on them, I don't spend a good deal of time in the Uniden forums (until I have issues, and I had one yesterday, our members here are great at helping and I am very grateful for this site!). It seems that the new scanners might have had some bugs, a friend of mine has one, he let me listen to his new portable 536 (?). Sounded great, had a large screen to show the talkgroup, the RIDS (I am fanatical about matching RID's to actual vehicles and such), more so than the Home Patrol.

Hopefully some of the members here, friends of mine will jump in and make your decision easier, I am tempted to trade my Home Patrol for a 396XT these days and then start up by PSR600 and dedicate it for Unitrunker on the Halton P25 and then fire up Trunk 88 with either the 396XT of my dreams or my tapped scanner.

So my long winded response, get a 396XT/996XT. You will at least get a few years of activity before all systems and municipalities go ENC or MotoTurbo. And DSD can make MotoTurbo sort of scannable, I think.

With extreme weather, and activity a scanner keeps us in the loop. Someone has to hear it or see it on social media, I was able to follow the OPP, MOH, Halton and Burlington works, Fire, etc yesterday as a good deal of the city was under water and roads were closed.

When the fire alarms go off in my building you can bet that my wife wants to know what and how to monitor fire here in Burlington. We had a fire 2 floors up from me and I was able to tell her from work that she did not have to evacuate. She has serious back issues and our 80 LB blu-tik-coon-hound wont do 9 flights of stairs,

And when the MOH Pagers go off and you hear your street, its nice to know if your neighbours are ok, I can't tell you how many times "crazy ***, had psycotic episodes and needed the "10-200's or EMS.

PM me if you need any more info, I might have some insight.

cuzinit001

Premium Subscriber
EJB is right. I live in wonderful Bruce Cty I Listen to the Durham tower, busy as ever. My 396T and my 996T work great but the Homepatrol only seems to pick up the vehicle repeaters. Im about 35 kms away from the tower
I also use the Pro 96 and the Pro 2096

Status
Not open for further replies.