P25 AGC Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Has anybody here in Phoenix or Mesa area tried adjusting the setting and if so have you found a good P25 RES TIME as well as a P25 REF GAIN setting.

Thanks in advanced.

Tweaking settings

Yeah, I have played with the settings and didn't notice any really big difference.

If you are having reception issues (transmissions breaking up), as many do, I have one suggestion.

Try an 800mhz yagi pointed at your nearest tower. This only works if no other tower is within 90 degrees of that direction. That should help you out. I am starting testing on this setup tonight to confirm this idea. Another guy on the east coast had to do this and it helped him greatly.

jambo

PHOENIX_SCANNER said:
Yeah, I have played with the settings and didn't notice any really big difference.

If you are having reception issues (transmissions breaking up), as many do, I have one suggestion.

Try an 800mhz yagi pointed at your nearest tower. This only works if no other tower is within 90 degrees of that direction. That should help you out. I am starting testing on this setup tonight to confirm this idea. Another guy on the east coast had to do this and it helped him greatly.
Thank you for your suggestion. At this point in time, I am not able to mount any antenna's outdoors for I'm in an apartment at the present time and management doesn't allow that. :(

cratliff

I agree that changing those setting doesn't really make a big difference. It seems like PHX has strong enough signals that it gets around pretty well no matter what you have set.

wlmr

jambo said:
Thank you for your suggestion. At this point in time, I am not able to mount any antenna's outdoors for I'm in an apartment at the present time and management doesn't allow that. :(

Due to the fact that most people's simulcast headaches seem to be too many sources at too strong of a level, don't worry about putting the yagi outside. If your rubber antenna sorta works inside with the scanner, a yagi (pointing in the correct direction) also located somewhere inside close to your scanner may be all you need. The person who is having lots of luck with a yagi stated several times it's not JUST bringing in only one of several simulcast towers better, it's attenuating all the rest sufficiently.

Yagi indoors

Exactly. Signal strength is not an issue.

Mounting inside would be just fine. You could mount in a foot off the floor if you wanted, and in fact that may work even better, attenuating the more distant sites even more.

If you look at my pics in the yagi thread you will notice the yagi is mounted fairly low on my mast. The only reason it didn't go in the attic was that the mast was just so convenient to mount on.

If I were in an apartment, I would probably mount it near the ceiling, aim it accordingly, and call it good.

An added advantage of having your antenna within easy reach would be that you could easily rotate it to find your "sweet spot".

As well, with a short run any cheap cable would do fine, and you wouldn't need static discharge / lightning protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.