P25 AGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Sitting here with my BCD435HP next to my PSR-800

The talkgroups that have large variations in volume level on a P25 trunked system do not exist on the PSR-800.

BCD-Base radios booming in much lower levels from mobiles. Overmodulation from the base unit too.
PSR-Base units and mobile units very close to each other in volume and there is no overmodulation.

I can adjust the PSR to a comfortable listening level at my desk not disturbing others.
If I adjust the BCD to a comfortable level when some base units come up it's at a much higher volume level and overmodulated. It's annoying, if I use headphones it is even more annoying.

Seems like a basic radio function, but it doesn't work. AGC on or AGC off it's pretty much the same.

woody_46

Agreed, while I like my 436 the AGC just plain sucks! It is way too difficult to get a volume setting that is comfortable it's either too low or blasting. I'm disappointed the new proposed firmware has no mention of the AGC issue.

JamesO

While it is great to have ACG with adjustable levels, it also allows for many combinations and I am not sure there is a good description on how to go about setting the AGC up on the x36HP/x96XT platforms.

This also assumes the ACG actually programmed and is working as expected.

So again, I reach out to Uniden to ask that a Technical Bulletin or Application Note be put together on AGC optimization for the x36HP and x96XT platform.

With the options of Response Time, Reference Gain and Gain Range there appear to be over 2000 combinations that could configured for Analog and close to 100 options for Digital, at least on the x96XT as this is what I am sitting near at the moment.

Having some idea as to how these settings impact the audio and what order the settings should be adjusted in would be very helpful.

Anyone that has had any luck with configuring and seeing an improvement with the AGC on either the x36HP or x96XT platform please chime in.

whsbuss

For me its the digital AGC that seems to have no affect. Doesn't matter what settings I use.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the AGC on the x36 radios is RF or AF?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Audio AGC

The problem I have is audio not RF levels.

From the owners manual. Audio

Analog and Digital AGC​
– Helps automatically balance the volume level between different radio

systems.

Does anyone know if the AGC on the x36 radios is RF or AF?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
AGC settings in two places

I'll give the AGC another try today with it being turned off in two places now. I turned it off in for the system but I found another place to select it in the profile too.

Maybe that's an issue.

The problem I have is audio not RF levels.

From the owners manual. Audio

Analog and Digital AGC​
– Helps automatically balance the volume level between different radio

systems.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I'll give the AGC another try today with it being turned off in two places now. I turned it off in for the system but I found another place to select it in the profile too.

Maybe that's an issue.

In doing a search of the owner's manual I could find five places for audio AGC to be turned on or off.

System and Department are they linked in any way?

Under Profile: Search / Close Call, Weather, Custom Search

From what I have read about getting DSD to work the audio input level was critical, maybe the audio AGC has a small range to not interfere with digital decoding?

Just a guess, however, additional AGC circuits could be used before the digital circuits to address that problem but it might cost more.

Status
Not open for further replies.