P25 audio quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

So why don't P25 scanners have the proper decoders? I know what you're going to say - COST.

So again, digital transmitters/receivers are more complex and more expensive. And again - to solve what problem?

I haven't heard of any dire problems with analog public service radio systems. Unless you're going to encryption, why digital?

I think you answered your own question - Encryption is the only real benefit to going digital.
That and certain vested interests from the manufacturers and DV vocoder companies.

NFM works fine, complies with all current narrowband mandates and despite some saying that digital gives improved frequency response, that is absolute crap. Yes, digital in theory gives improved bass response below 300Hz, but that is really irrelivent for good voice comms. It is the high end, above 3Khz that provides the nuances and improves 'readability' to human voices, not down around 100Hz. Many digital systems I monitor/use have very limited frequency response above about 2.8Khz. Uniden scanners seem to have a digital audio low pass filter that rolls off sharply above about 2.5Khz, hense the slighty muffled quality of their scanners on digital, compared to other digital receivers.

Also, very little research has gone into the multipath problems that P25 suffers around fires caused by heat induced convection currents and carbon rich plumes. I have done some research into this and the results were not pretty on any commercial subscriber radio. Analogue FM handles such interference much better. This is one reason why various Fire agencies specify reverting to FM/NFM for local comms in wildfire situations. They know that digital falls on it's a#se under such conditions.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Also, very little research has gone into the multipath problems that P25 suffers around fires caused by heat induced convection currents and carbon rich plumes. I have done some research into this and the results were not pretty on any commercial subscriber radio. Analogue FM handles such interference much better. This is one reason why various Fire agencies specify reverting to FM/NFM for local comms in wildfire situations. They know that digital falls on it's a#se under such conditions.

The point I always mention, while talking about fireground communications for structure fires, especially in commercial buildings, is to not use MPSCS. I remind the class that when using 8Tac freqs, the signal just has to get out of the building, not to a tower. (I suggest putting apparatus radios on the 8Tac, and the IC using a handheld for talking on MPSCS.)

Sent via Tapatalk

bradygreen

Premium Subscriber
No matter what I adjust, listening to Washington State Patrol via their King County (Seattle) feed is horrible, for the most part completely unintelligible.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

BCD436HP with RS 800MHz Antenna

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
No matter what I adjust, listening to Washington State Patrol via their King County (Seattle) feed is horrible, for the most part completely unintelligible.

A real subscriber, programmed to not affiliate...

passinleft

I have the BCD436HP and the phase II now used in Rockland County NY is awful on the unit. A lot of snap / cracking noises and cutting out. Luckily they are still rebroadcasting Rockland County on some other non P25 system which I prefer to listen to.

MONITORING247

if a 436hp don't fit the bill

Why not try a whistler 1080 or a pro668 the next time you decide to upgrade . Just a thought. Thay may not have all the bells and whistles but at least they work on p25

Voyager

Sometimes the Uniden models work better. It depends on the system and location. Neither manufacturer works better on all systems at all locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.