P25 Conventional not unmuting properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioguybri

Got my 596 yesterday. Thought it would be very easy to operate. I'm a veteran to radios even own and program Motorola Xts Astro radios. My local police is a P25 conventional system. The channel works great on my genuine motorola and worked great with a 785 uniden. This new model is not unmuting most audio. For example, I hear dispatch for the most part but still misses communication but anything from a car or portable doesn't unmute. Running the motorola side by side i'm missing 80% of the radio traffic. Tried everything. Think its an issue with all of these models and needs to be fixed via firmware. Other P25 in the area seems to be working normally. Pretty bad when your primary channel is not working right and WIFI won't connect either. Still trying to fix that problem. For $600 I expected a product that worked. Not the 2 main features I wanted not working. Any thoughts on a possible fix?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Got my 596 yesterday. Thought it would be very easy to operate. I'm a veteran to radios even own and program Motorola Xts Astro radios. My local police is a P25 conventional system. The channel works great on my genuine motorola and worked great with a 785 uniden. This new model is not unmuting most audio. For example, I hear dispatch for the most part but still misses communication but anything from a car or portable doesn't unmute. Running the motorola side by side i'm missing 80% of the radio traffic. Tried everything. Think its an issue with all of these models and needs to be fixed via firmware. Other P25 in the area seems to be working normally. Pretty bad when your primary channel is not working right and WIFI won't connect either. Still trying to fix that problem. For $600 I expected a product that worked. Not the 2 main features I wanted not working. Any thoughts on a possible fix?

The app for the WiFi on the 536 has not been released yet and this may be why you cannot get it to connect.

The "will not unmute" on the 536 has been discussed a lot, you might want to do a search here on RR to see what all has been tried to fix this. To my knowledge no one has found a workaround therefore, it may need a firmware update to get fixed.

Some things you might try:

You might try to program it as an ordinary frequency and see what the scanner does.

Program it as a "Single Frequency Trunk" this should also give you more info on your display if the new x36 radios are like the T, XT, & HP-1.

radioguybri

I tried putting in the frequency manually. Basically the radio is not picking up the signal. No indication on the signal meter when my Motorola is talking. Then periodically the meter will go to full strength and audio will come out. I'm very close to the repeaters and am picking up signals from many miles away. This frequency is the only one not working. I don't get it!!!

markab

I tried putting in the frequency manually. Basically the radio is not picking up the signal. No indication on the signal meter when my Motorola is talking. Then periodically the meter will go to full strength and audio will come out. I'm very close to the repeaters and am picking up signals from many miles away. This frequency is the only one not working. I don't get it!!!

You mentioned that you are very close to the repeaters. Have you tried turning on Attenuation. Perhaps the front end of your scanner is being overloaded.

Mark

SCPD

QRT

Did you program it in and selected Custom 1 enabled
or hit CHAN type your Frequency in and hit CHAN and this way you hold Temporary on the Frequency and see if you hear anything.
To resume Scanning hit F and then SYSTEM to return Scanning

phask

Premium Subscriber
Did you program it in and selected Custom 1 enabled
or hit CHAN type your Frequency in and hit CHAN and this way you hold Temporary on the Frequency and see if you hear anything.
To resume Scanning hit F and then SYSTEM to return Scanning

If you step through the FLdo you even see the one in question?

Salvation

I have the same issue.. I think Uniden needs to come out with some type of fix because I tried everything.. I think it has something to do with the decoder and its not unmuting.. I switched from Digital to All in the type it was just a bunch of static early on and then the audio would kick in.. Here is a video where I replayed a previous transmission that plays what happens..

P25 issues on BCD536HP - YouTube

radioguybri

Salvation,
Are you getting an indication on your signal meter that there is a signal being transmitted and it's not unmuting? Or is it the same as my concern where the radio is not picking up the signal at all with nothing indicated?

Salvation

Salvation,
Are you getting an indication on your signal meter that there is a signal being transmitted and it's not unmuting? Or is it the same as my concern where the radio is not picking up the signal at all with nothing indicated?

I dont recall.. Of course I am not getting any traffic from them tonight to test it.. Here is another video from someone else..

Uniden BCD536HP receive problem - YouTube

radioguybri

YeAh the last video is what I'm experiencing. Very close but seems worse on mine. I'm gonna try to do a video myself

Salvation

Change the audio type from Digital to All and see if you also get the static in the beginning of the transmissions.. Sometimes it will stay all static during the entire transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radioguybri

Just got back from Atlantic City. Fix to FM worked perfectly. Can't believe how easy. Works great now...Thanks to everyone for the help.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Just got back from Atlantic City. Fix to FM worked perfectly. Can't believe how easy. Works great now...Thanks to everyone for the help.

I think there has to be more going on than changing NFM to FM. I have made such changes in the past on MANY channels and it never made such a difference as we are seeing here.

However, it seems a work-around has been found for some people and that is not always possible but you know Uniden is taking note of this and is working of a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.