P25 Decoding on BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrogerson

Okay, many thanks to those who have helped me wrap my head around the quick key, dynamic memory issues.

Have been testing all day, and I have come across a sticky point with respect to a local FD freq.
Our local FD freq has a freq of 154.265, and the department operates on a p25 system. With my new 536, the transmission comes across as motorboating. I have set the audio to both digital only, and all, but it fails to decode the transmission. My 996XT is decoding it no problems, and all settings appear to be the same with each scanner. On my 996XT I do not have a NAC set, nor is there one listed on RR. Any ideas?

To update...when setting audio type to ALL - I get the digital motorboating. I do not get the sound, or anything for that matter when I select it to digital, or nac search.

Last edited:

jeffrogerson

Okay, many thanks to those who have helped me wrap my head around the quick key, dynamic memory issues.

Have been testing all day, and I have come across a sticky point with respect to a local FD freq.
Our local FD freq has a freq of 154.265, and the department operates on a p25 system. With my new 536, the transmission comes across as motorboating. I have set the audio to both digital only, and all, but it fails to decode the transmission. My 996XT is decoding it no problems, and all settings appear to be the same with each scanner. On my 996XT I do not have a NAC set, nor is there one listed on RR. Any ideas?

To update...when setting audio type to ALL - I get the digital motorboating. I do not get the sound, or anything for that matter when I select it to digital, or nac search.

Further to this...I get the same results when importing the frequency via Sentinel from RR. Hope I haven't discovered a bug with respect to P25.

jeffrogerson

Hello,
Having an issue with my local Fire dept frequency. It's a P25 frequency, and is heard flawlessly on my 996XT, but not with my 536. I have tried punching in my zip code, and I get the same results as when I program the channel into my favourites the manual way. I have also checked to ensure the service tags are set, and enabled correctly.

Can someone lob some suggestions out, or have I discovered a problem with the decoding on 536HP?

Also, I created an identical thread here asking for assistance and it was deleted. For the sake of general courtesy, could a moderator have at least sent me a message indicating why it was deleted?

Last edited:

whsbuss

Hello,
Having an issue with my local Fire dept frequency. It's a P25 frequency, and is heard flawlessly on my 996XT, but not with my 536. I have tried punching in my zip code, and I get the same results as when I program the channel into my favourites the manual way.

Can someone lob some suggestions out, or have I discovered a problem with the decoding on 536HP?

Also, I created an identical thread here asking for assistance and it was deleted. For the sake of general courtesy, could a moderator have at least sent me a message indicating why it was deleted?

The 536/436 utilize the RR database which have service tags. Your local FD channel may be set as fire-talk or something similar. Check the Services in the 536 menu and see what is enabled.

jeffrogerson

The 536/436 utilize the RR database which have service tags. Your local FD channel may be set as fire-talk or something similar. Check the Services in the 536 menu and see what is enabled.

Already checked. When pausing on the said frequency, I can hear the motorboating sound on the 536HP, but the 996XT decodes it with no problems.

whsbuss

Already checked. When pausing on the said frequency, I can hear the motorboating sound on the 536HP, but the 996XT decodes it with no problems.

So its a digital channel? Is it part of a trunked system? Does the 996 decode audio on that channel? Is the channel setting on the 536 set for Auto?

jeffrogerson

So its a digital channel? Is it part of a trunked system? Does the 996 decode audio on that channel? Is the channel setting on the 536 set for Auto?
nt

It's a digital P25 conventional channel, with no NAC. The said frequency is found here... Hastings County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
It's Belleville Fire dept stations 3 & 4.
(154.26500 XJH518 BM BFD Stn. 3/4 Fire - Stations 3 and 4 P25 Fire Dispatch)

With the audio type setting to ALL, I don't hear the motorboating...or anything. When I have the audio type set to Digital Only, I hear the motorboating exclusively. No human audio.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I can explain the delete thing. One of the rules here is no duplicate posts. They are tough moderators here, but they keep things running very smoothly. I wish the two other forums I post in had the same rules. Anyhow, I just wanted to answer "why." I think if you do the same thing twice they will whack your pee-pee:lol:

Greg

whsbuss

nt

It's a digital P25 conventional channel, with no NAC. The said frequency is found here... Hastings County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
It's Belleville Fire dept stations 3 & 4.
(154.26500 XJH518 BM BFD Stn. 3/4 Fire - Stations 3 and 4 P25 Fire Dispatch)

With the audio type setting to ALL, I don't hear the motorboating...or anything. When I have the audio type set to Digital Only, I hear the motorboating exclusively. No human audio.

In the 996 what setting are you using? From the database it looks like the freq is a base repeater, correct? Question is what is it repeating from the P25 system?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Jeff, I've moved your posts from the BCD536HP thread to the new thread you created with the same topic.

That frequency does have a NAC. It's not in the database yet because nobody has reported.

If you enable NAC Search in Digital Audio Only mode, you should be able to see it.

jeffrogerson

Okay, was fortunate enough to hear our other fire station get toned out. It has a NAC. With the correct NAC programmed, the 536 still fails to hear any transmissions. It's flat out not picking up anything yet the 996XT hears it fine.

Is there something obvious I missed? Can the 536 only have one conventional P25 channel per favourite list/ system/ department? The 536 has no problem picking up our local police using the NAC.

jeffrogerson

Jeff, I've moved your posts from the BCD536HP thread to the new thread you created with the same topic.

That frequency does have a NAC. It's not in the database yet because nobody has reported.

If you enable NAC Search in Digital Audio Only mode, you should be able to see it.

Have tried that already. With NAC search enabled, and when holding on the freq - just motorboating (when audio type is digital only). When it's set to all, it's dead silence.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Have tried that already. With NAC search enabled, and when holding on the freq - just motorboating (when audio type is digital only). When it's set to all, it's dead silence.

Can you post your .hpe file that has this frequency in it?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Is the attenuator on? What antennas are you using for both scanners?

What NAC showed up? I'll add it into the database.

jeffrogerson

Is the attenuator on? What antennas are you using for both scanners?

What NAC showed up? I'll add it into the database.

412 NAC shows up for Stations 1 & 2 (on the 996XT when receiving their signal) With that inputed into the 536, I get nada. I can hear it perfectly on the 996XT with the same NAC, same ATT, etc. For both scanners, I have the supplied telescopic antenna attached to the rear of the unit. I'm about 1km away from their transmit stations also.

Last edited:

jeffrogerson

I see on the first one its set to NAC 412. What NAC option is set for the 2nd freq on the 996XT?

On their 2nd freq (stations 3 & 4) I have it set to search. I've also tried 412, but nothing.
It's like the 536 can't decode it for some reason...yet it has no problem decoding the police here using NAC.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I wonder if applying the "IF Exchange" feature to that frequency would help.

I don't know if the I.F.'s are the same on the 996XT or not, but it may be worth a try.

whsbuss

Did you set to digital only as suggested earlier to see the NAC code?

Status
Not open for further replies.