P25 Directional Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyingPilot

MPSCS Newbie
I'm looking for a good, sturdy directional antenna to hook up to my BCD325P2 to help me monitor digital traffic, but don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

scanmanmi

Digital signals are no different than other signals. Most state digital systems are somewhere around 800 Mhz if that's what you mean. Lots of people will chime in but what matters most is what you want to listen to and where you're at. I've got a 15 element yagi and I can pick up towers 60 miles away. Some people get overloaded and use a paper clip for an antenna. More info is needed but probably anything will work well if you're near that tower in Benzie. Coax may be your biggest concern.

TheFlyingPilot

MPSCS Newbie

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been using the Rematronix 800MHz antenna with it, and I can't get any data from either of the towers I'm attempting to reach.
Remtronics antennas are great, but 25 miles away and being in a bowl basically guarantees the performance you are experiencing. The transmit antenna would have to be fairly high and have a lot of gain to provide reception indoors at your distance. How high can you mount a receive antenna? Can you mount one on your roof? You can try an TV antenna mounted vertically, but I use a simple ground plane antenna cut to 5/8 wave for the center frequency of the main system I monitor. Works well for me, but then again everything's a compromise.

TheFlyingPilot

MPSCS Newbie
Remtronics antennas are great, but 25 miles away and being in a bowl basically guarantees the performance you are experiencing. The transmit antenna would have to be fairly high and have a lot of gain to provide reception indoors at your distance. How high can you mount a receive antenna? Can you mount one on your roof? You can try an TV antenna mounted vertically, but I use a simple ground plane antenna cut to 5/8 wave for the center frequency of the main system I monitor. Works well for me, but then again everything's a compromise.
I'll be mounting it on my porch roof, about 15' above ground level. What's this about "mounting it vertically"?

Status
Not open for further replies.